recommendations for a bible for a young teenager please?

(7 Posts)
MichaelaS Fri 30-Nov-12 12:46:37

I would also say The Message because it is written for young adults in a non-jargony way. But it is not a literal translation in the same way many bibles attempt to be. If you want a literal translation then perhaps the NIV?

Might be more useful to get some bible reading notes to go with the actual bible, it is very daunting on its own. Starting at genesis and attempting to read through the whole thing will not really work. Perhaps start with a gospel, then other new testament bits, then the genesis and exodus history and then maybe some old testament books which are more histories than law. I like the cover to cover every day bible notes because they are not too patronising. There are lots of introduction ones for new Christians and for young people, maybe google some?

Good luck finding something he can readily read.

This might be a place to start.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/religion/christianity/index.shtml

Alternatively this site http://www.rejesus.co.uk/ was written for people with no knowledge of Christianity and aims to break the content into chunks which might work for your son.

Much of the teaching of Jesus is in the form of parable - the kingdom of God is like....Can your son cope with this sort of explanation? A good GCSE textbook might be a better place to start.

I'm aware of some work on ASD and faith and spirituality but what has been published yet I don't know.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Wed 28-Nov-12 17:41:52

I would say youth Bible too. The message is s good alternative but almost too slangy at times IME.

The Message

stressedHEmum Sat 03-Nov-12 21:32:49

The Youth Bible is really good for this age group. It has life stories, wee explanations and challenges in it along with an easy to read text.

also good, if he likes that sort of thing, is the Manga Bible. My teen boys loved this. it gives all the main themes and stories in a way that appeals to teen boys. If you buy the full version, you get a complete bible text at the back, after the manga bit.

whatthewhatthebleep Sat 03-Nov-12 17:14:49

My DS is 12yrs old and ASD. He seems to be quite interested in religion and God and I want him to be able to access a bible of his own which would have all the morals, stories, explanations, etc in it for him.

I was raised as a protestant and attended church as a child but have not had any contact with any church since. I am unable to decide what my view really is exactly and I'm not able to be clear with my DS with enough real knowledge to impart of the story of the Bible and Jesus and God.

He really needs something not too babyish but not for adults and too complex for him either....can anyone recommend a Bible please or similar along the lines of book?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now