SOUL AFLAME!

(96 Posts)
knightofalbion Mon 14-Nov-11 08:43:29

This thread is for inspirational quotations, poems and short stories. If there is something that has touched your soul, led you to a higher path or given you strength in a time of adversity, then please add it here.
If it has inspired you, the chances are it will inspire others too and to help each other along is the duty of every soul.
Into the light!

All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.

knightofalbion Mon 16-Apr-12 15:12:01

Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile - Albert Einstein

knightofalbion Fri 20-Apr-12 15:19:06

Sometimes I get very tired with those who want what they call 'higher teachings' from the spirit world and do nothing to help their brother men. As people grow they understand more and more the operation of the laws of the Great Spirit. There is no 'high' and there is no 'low' teaching.
If all the people who clamour for teachings would do something to make the earth a better place, a brighter place, a place where the hungry would be fed and the thirsty would be given drink, where people were allowed to live in houses where the sunshine of the Great Spirit could reach their poor, tired bodies, then they would be putting into operation the highest teaching of all
- Silver Birch

knightofalbion Fri 01-Jun-12 17:54:32

Help thy brother's boat across and lo! thine own has reached the shore
- Hindu proverb

(Through Service the soul is advanced)

knightofalbion Wed 27-Jun-12 23:44:40

And how you ask are we to walk the spiritual path? We answer; say little, love much, give all, judge no one, aspire to all that is pure and good - and keep on keeping on
- White Eagle

knightofalbion Wed 27-Jun-12 23:48:20

"I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that stll remains"
- Anne Frank

Despite all the doom and gloom on the news every night, this is a BEAUTIFUL world, full of many wonderful sights and sounds - and people.
Open your eyes, open your heart and marvel...

downindorset Thu 28-Jun-12 20:59:13

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

― Rumi

knightofalbion Tue 14-Aug-12 13:17:39

It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness, that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth.
Service is the coin of the spirit.

knightofalbion Sun 19-Aug-12 16:05:55

Determination and a just cause:
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world, indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
- Margaret Mead

knightofalbion Sat 15-Sep-12 17:13:24

Be the change you want to see in the world
- Mahatma Gandhi

knightofalbion Tue 13-Nov-12 13:39:15

May I be a protector for the unprotected;
A guide for travellers on the way;
A boat, a raft or a bridge
For those who long to cross to the other shore.

May I be an isle for those who seek an island;
A lamp for those who wish for light;
A shelter for those in need of rest;
A servant for those in need of service.

- Shantideva (Bodhicaryavatara 3:17-18)

knightofalbion Tue 13-Nov-12 13:43:15

It is no non-violence if we merely love those that love us. It is non-violence only when we love those that hate us.
I know how difficult it is to follow this grand law of love. But are not all great and good things difficult to do?
Love of the hater is the most difficult of all. But by the grace of God even this most difficult thing becomes easy to accomplish if we want to do it
- Mahatma Gandhi

MaryBS Tue 13-Nov-12 15:51:22

“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
― Mother Teresa

crescentmoon Tue 13-Nov-12 16:26:39

this i always liked this quote didnt know it was Mother Teresa's. i havent read it for years...

and Ghandhi? not many human beings in the world come around like Ghandhi.

crescentmoon Tue 13-Nov-12 16:28:13

(whoops, by ^ this ^ i meant marybs i meant the be kind anyway quote!)

MaryBS Thu 15-Nov-12 08:16:42

smile crescentmoon

Carrie37 Mon 26-Nov-12 14:40:52

Two men looked out through prison bars, one saw mud the other saw stars.

crescentmoon Mon 26-Nov-12 15:59:33

"Think how it is to have a conversation with an embryo.
You might say 'The world outside is vast and intricate.
There are wheatfields and mountain passes,
and orchards in bloom.
At night there are millions of galaxies, and in sunlight
the beauty of friends dancing at a wedding.'
You ask the embryo why he, or she, stays cooped up
in the dark with eyes closed.
Listen to the answer.
There is no 'other world'
I only know what I have experienced.
You must be hallucinating."

Rumi - from "Wean Yourself"

knightofalbion Thu 29-Nov-12 19:46:47

World of Wonder:
Every day the sun rises and sets, tides ebb and flow. All these things happen wheter or not we notice them, but when we take time to notice them, we are filled with wonder.
Even to think that every snowflake is different. Billions and billions of snowflakes that fall, every single one wonderful, looking so much alike and yet no two are the same
- Sister Stanislaus Kennedy (From 'Gardening the Soul')

juule Tue 18-Dec-12 23:36:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt9ucYMWg8M

" So that when I look up at the night sky and I know that yes, we are part of this universe, we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the Universe is in us"

juule Tue 18-Dec-12 23:37:35
knightofalbion Tue 05-Feb-13 19:22:29

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children
- Native American proverb

knightofalbion Thu 04-Apr-13 21:58:50

The best portion of a good man's life
His little, nameless, unremembered acts
Of kindness and love
- William Wordsworth

HoneyandRum Sat 06-Apr-13 00:18:27

We do not have to talk very much in order to pray well.

St. Jean-Marie Vianney

muminthecity Sat 06-Apr-13 00:48:22

'You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.'

Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata"

knightofalbion Tue 24-Sep-13 20:26:10

Those who have forsaken the killing of all; those who are helpmates to all; those who are a sanctuary to all; those men are in the way of Heaven
- The Hitopadesa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now