Feline renal food: cheaper source?

(10 Posts)
misseskimo Mon 10-Jun-13 10:10:28

I know this is an old post, but when I needed renal diet for my older girl we used Royal Canin but got it from Zooplus - would highly recommend the place for any petcare needs, and was alto cheaper than our local vets for prescription food!

misseskimo Mon 10-Jun-13 10:10:27

I know this is an old post, but when I needed renal diet for my older girl we used Royal Canin but got it from Zooplus - would highly recommend the place for any petcare needs, and was alto cheaper than our local vets for prescription food!

Another vote for Viovet.
The 5kg bags are a lot cheaper and normally free delivery.

BurnThisDiscoDown Wed 20-Feb-13 22:39:06

Second Viovet - mil uses them for her cat with renal failure, and now so do we - the royal canin 4kg bags are £28 instead of £40, and the wet food comes in at under £1 per pouch instead of £1.20 from the vets.

Try Viovet.

PipkinsPal Tue 19-Feb-13 18:01:59

I use Medicanimal.

QueenoftheVerse Fri 04-Jan-13 22:18:42

Both of our cats had renal problems and we were told by the vet we had to choose one of those feeds too.

I did a little research, with the help of my friendly pet shop owner, and have switched to Burns dried food.

They've been on the Burns food for about 3 years now and are fine and we haven't had to have them back at the vet for anything so far.

TataClaire Fri 04-Jan-13 20:54:07

When my cat had chronic renal failure a few years ago he hated the renal food, plus it was hideously expensive, so as the vet said he didnt have long and I wanted him to enjoy his food, I tried to find an alternative and some other foods were also low protein and low phosphorous, I ended up feeding him tje clpsest match, which was a particular type of tinned dog food...kept him going way beyond the time the vet said he had left. These days though I'd try the internet wink

Jayne266 Sat 08-Dec-12 19:08:47

You can get them online cheeper just shop around x

RoseWei Fri 07-Dec-12 20:57:30

Elderly cat has renal/kidney problems and needs to be on a 100% prescription diet - Hill's science plan kd or royal canin feline renal. From the vet, both the wet and the dry food are very expensive - and this is a long term condition.

Does anyone know a reputable supplier whose charges would be cheaper than a vet's? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now