Best dog with kids and Maine coon/similar cata

(10 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Thu 05-Jan-12 16:13:48

Hi. We are thinking about getting a dog and a Maine coon or Norwegian cat at the same time. Crackers?

What dog do you reckon is best for a house full of children?

issey6cats Mon 13-Feb-12 11:31:09

a cavalier king charles, smallish, friendly, happy, bichon frize (sp) its a good idea to get puppy and cat at the same time as they will grow up together, maybe contact the kennell club if you are thinking of a pedigree and asking what breeds they recomend, or if a crossbreed contact local rescue centers

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 13-Feb-12 11:37:51

My Maine Coons like dogs - they're sort of fascinated by them. I think any typical family dog would be ok really.

Calamansi Mon 13-Feb-12 11:40:47

We have a maine coon, she and our bulldog adore each other, but I think Maine coons would get on with most types of dogs as they are very friendly easy going cats grin

haggisaggis Mon 13-Feb-12 11:48:40

Once you have a Maine Coon don't reckon you'll need a dog.. (that's what we keep telling our kids anyway)

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 13-Feb-12 12:21:18

Well, you can train Maine Coons to fetch; walk on a lead; etc. Allegedly.

haggisaggis Mon 13-Feb-12 12:25:05

THink they're more fun than dogs actually - and I'm sure ours would come on walks if we'd let him. Will get a dog eventually I expect (and hopefully another Coonie too..)

Chase1 Tue 08-Oct-13 13:30:51

The best dogs ever with children are Staffys, they are loyal loving and are children at heart themselves, best dogs ever :-)

Marne Sat 12-Oct-13 11:14:04

Staffy every time, best dogs with kids and cats, mine love each other and often curl up together, we also have a lab x lurcher, he is fab but not as much character as the Staffie.

Tulip26 Sun 20-Oct-13 14:49:33

I know you want a Maine Coon but just a suggestion - I have two Ragdoll cats who are great with the dog. He's a big dog but they are so chilled out, they are happy to spend time around the dog and are lovely with children. Bigger than average cats but not too huge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now