Petition to get Richard III buried at York minster

(81 Posts)
Bunnygotwhacked Tue 30-Oct-12 12:07:30

ow.ly/eSlAq

Just that really if you agree would be great if you could sign this

I think he should be buried in Leicester. The Leicester Greyfriars took him in.

Besides which, most medieval kings told several foundations they wanted to be buried there and then changed their minds - it's a common mark of favour, so I am not sure it carries the same force as we might think today, when someone says where they'd like to be buried.

trixie123 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:21:38

Also the city of York was actually Lancastrian for much of the War of the Roses (much to the confusion of my 12 year old students)

kim147 Tue 30-Oct-12 13:25:25

There's the Richard III museum in York - you get to see the evidence for and against him. It would have been interesting if DS hadn't been in a rush rather than spending an hour carefully studying the evidence.

CogitoEerilySpooky Tue 30-Oct-12 13:26:59

Have I missed something? Why does this matter? I know in the olden days a juicy relic would have the pilgrims flocking ... does someone think the bones of King Dicky will be a big tourist attraction?

I think Leicester needs all the tourist attraction it can get, cogito! grin

There's not a lot else there, so yes, I'm sure people would go look.

FlobbadobbaBOO Tue 30-Oct-12 13:39:48

We visited Bosworth Field a few years ago when down that way... I suppose if it is him and he ends up in Leicester it would be more interesting than where he actually died! IIR correctly they put the car park around the spot he supposedly fell..
cog I think the interest is around the whole 'whodunnit' thing with the Princes in the tower. Some believe he did it, others that he was stitched up in death by people with political interest in Demonising him.

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Tue 30-Oct-12 13:43:41

He belongs to York. Much beloved by the citizens of the York of his day and he can come home to us. Murderer or not (and I think not) York is the place most closely associated with him. Leicester? Come on! Who wants to be buried in Leicester!

zukiecat Tue 30-Oct-12 13:48:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MooncupGoddess Tue 30-Oct-12 13:49:39

Hmm. My sympathies are instinctively with Leicester for the reasons LRD gives, and the tourism potential, but it is rather an unexciting, mostly Victorian restoration cathedral than only achieved cathedral status in 1927. Whereas York Minster is an amazing building and would have been well known to Richard... it was consecrated in 1472 when he was based nearby at Middleham (I wonder if he was present at the consecration? Very possible).

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Tue 30-Oct-12 13:51:44

lol at 'who wants to be buried in Leicester' grin

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Tue 30-Oct-12 13:52:48

I just asked my 5 and 7 year olds and was amazed how passionate they felt about burying him in York.
DD: Because that's where he wanted to be buried.
Tunip: But he's dead. He'll never know.
DD & DS1: But that's not FAIR!

I think they would take a very dim view of my arguments in favour of the Leicester tourist trade.

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Tue 30-Oct-12 13:58:14

Getorf grin - you see where I'm coming from I think!

We've got the best Archbishop here too. John Sentamu can do the funeral service. Now that would be fantastic!

ScabbyColdCrustyCatPuss Tue 30-Oct-12 13:58:53

Westminster Abbey. There's no reason for Richard to have murdered the princes. He could more than likely have had a hand in the deaths of Henry V or his brother Gloucester, but the princes? Not likely!

TurquoiseFrankenCat Tue 30-Oct-12 14:01:31

The Guildhall in Leicester was built in 1390 and is right next door to Leicester Cathedral. I'm sure Richard III would have also been aware of this building. Plus the tourism money would really help the council from having to close this amazing and historical building as a free museum.

Let Leicester have the bones!! (We found 'em anyway, as finders keepers grin).

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Tue 30-Oct-12 14:02:24

Discussion on pm on R4 yesterday between two Labour MPs - one for Leicester and the other for Worksop. Worksop Priory has a tomb ready and waiting for him apparently confused claiming it was the centre of his kingdom.

Eddie Mair made a terrible pun "My kingdom for a hearse".

EdithWeston Tue 30-Oct-12 14:05:24

Not all monarchs are in Westminster Abbey.

When will they know whether it's him or not?

EdithWeston Tue 30-Oct-12 14:06:32

Or we could be nicely mediaeval, accord him the respect given to, say, saints and pit a bit of him in any place that wants him.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Tue 30-Oct-12 14:08:33

Mid-Jan according to something I read (linked on the thread in History Club).

You can't mean Henry V ScabbyColdCrustyCatPuss?

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Tue 30-Oct-12 14:08:53

I think there should be a great big fight It's a Royal Knockour stylee between Leicester and York digitaries. Gary Lineker can represent Leicester.

Not all royals are in Westminster, there is a medieval king in my local cathedral (Gloucester) - Edward II iirc, anyway the one who died by having a red hot poker shoved up his bottom. Poor bastard.

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Tue 30-Oct-12 14:09:42

Oh Edith that's a nice medieval idea. Do you want to start a new petition? wink

TunipTheHollowVegemalLantern Tue 30-Oct-12 14:11:14

Sentamu v Lineker.

Sentamu can bash Lineker with his bishop's crook.

EdithWeston Tue 30-Oct-12 14:12:19

It should be a duel, perhaps, between HRH Duke of York and the 7th Earl of Leicester?

(Is the latter a descendant of Dudley? The line was extinct for a while).

Northernlurkerisbehindyouboo Tue 30-Oct-12 14:12:23

Richard would have struggled to murder Henry V. He died a few decades before Richard's birth I think. You mean Henry VI I think? And the brother would be the Duke of Clarence?

PrettyPrinceofDarkness Tue 30-Oct-12 14:13:13

nothing in Leicester? Nothing in Leicester?

Pfft the cheek of it! There's the Newark museum, The National Space Centre, europe's biggest covered market, erm, did I mention the space centre?

I grew up in Leicestershire but now live in Yorkshire. Bosworth park is pretty dull, though they've added a new visitor bit now and the re-enactments are pretty cool.

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Tue 30-Oct-12 14:14:20

What about Worksop....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now