this has been bugging me since I was 7, I'm now 34 so I thought it would be a good time to ask

(20 Posts)
CatchingMockingbirds Sat 01-Dec-12 22:36:11

Aw that really sweet never grin

neveradullmomentinparadise Sat 01-Dec-12 21:55:38

I must share this story re: the meaning of extraordinary. A few years ago 9 yr old DD proudly produces a scrapbook she'd been making in her bedroom....about "Extra-ordinary Trees". (Regretfully I can't remember WHY she was doing this). Anyway, there were pages titled "Ordinary Trees", with pictures below..followed by pages titles "Extra-Ordinary Trees", with pictures. The Extra-Ordinary Trees were captioned "Those other trees were quite ordinary, but these are even more ordinary". Makes me smile to myself even now smile

nickelbabeuntiladvent Sat 01-Dec-12 10:34:46

i pronounce it
extrordinary.

"extra" is latin for "outside"

so extraordinary means "outside of ordinary"

OP, I feel your pain (that is, the pain of your 7-yr old self) and I think you're right. Extrordinry. Teachers - pah!

I had a biology teacher who drawled on about the urilay system, at least that's what I wrote in my notes, because that's how it sounded when he said it. (Urinary - and no, I didn't get the GCSE)

badtime Thu 29-Nov-12 12:26:01

I pronounce the 'a' sort of as a schwa rather than any sort of recognisable 'a', but I definitely pronounce it. Hearing people say 'extrordinary' (or, more precisely, 'extrawdinry') makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 25-Nov-12 02:26:30

i deffo say extraordinary. extrordinary sounds a bit nothingy.

Monty27 Sun 25-Nov-12 02:23:40

Can't you just say 'amazing' instead?

Seriously, it's prounced eggstroydinary

Yes? depending where you're from clearly grin

gymboywalton Sun 25-Nov-12 02:15:27
gymboywalton Sun 25-Nov-12 02:15:12

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=extraordainry&submit=Submit

Nope - Cymry as in one of the Welsh people, not Cymru as in the country.

Pedant yn Gymraeg fi, hefyd grin

peeohayess Sun 25-Nov-12 01:01:34

Mr Tickle's extraordinarily long arms freak me the hell out. Sorry, OP, just had to hop in and mention that.

ProcrastinatingPanda Sun 25-Nov-12 00:40:29

grin I can imagine a tiny 7yr old sausagesandwich frustratingly pondering this question.

CaseyShraeger Sun 25-Nov-12 00:34:12

As TravelinColour says, 'extra' means 'outside' or 'beyond' - think of extra-vehicular activity done by astronauts (i.e. spacewalks).

I'd generally say "extrordinary" unless I were enunciating particularly clearly for dramatic effect or otherwise, though. Mr Tickle always has extraORdinarily long arms.

YDdraigGoch Sun 25-Nov-12 00:27:41

Cymru. Not Cymry wink

I think extra means 'outside of', so it means 'out of the ordinary'.

Trust one of the Cymry to come out in favour of a phonetic spelling wink

YDdraigGoch Fri 23-Nov-12 23:10:42

Extra-ordinary is technically correct. But most people would say extrodnary.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 23-Nov-12 22:56:29

she pronounced it extra-ordinary, and even at 7 I thought 'well that means it's even more ordinary'???

strange woman

but she's not the only one I've heard say it like that

MooncupGoddess Fri 23-Nov-12 22:53:50

Well - it means 'beyond the ordinary', but you're right, no one (except a few old school types) pronounces every syllable any more. Occasionally in a period drama one hears 'Ex-tra-ord-in-ary!' in a shocked cut-glass accent and it always cheers me up.

sausagesandwich34 Fri 23-Nov-12 22:49:49

extraordinary

is it really pronounced extra-ordinary???

surely that changes the whole meaning of the word

is it ex-trord-an-ry?

I had to say it in a school play when I was 7 and the teacher inisted it was extra-ordinary

just doesn't sound right to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now