Hooves and rooves

(30 Posts)
FellatioNelson Mon 19-Nov-12 03:35:56

When I was young I swear I used to see and hear the word rooves for the plural of roof.

We have hooves for hoofs but I never see/ear rooves any more.

Did I imagine the whole thing back in 1974? confused

FellatioNelson Mon 19-Nov-12 03:36:15

hear not ear

VintageRainBoots Mon 19-Nov-12 04:34:39

I found this response on Yahoo:

^The Oxford English Dictionary does have several citations with "rooves"; however, some sources claim this form is 'archaic'. Most of the older vocabulary items in English retain the f-->v change for their plurals, but after this rule was lost in English, new words didn't undergo the change. Thus, the plural of goof is goofs, not gooves. So the best we can say is that the plural form of 'roof' is variable, where 'roofs' is the preferred plural in many style manuals (although I can see no good reason for choosing 'roofs' over 'rooves'). 'Hoof' also varies between 'hoofs' and 'hooves' in its plural form.
Source(s):
OED^

crabb Mon 19-Nov-12 04:38:28

Same for me when I was young, too, Fellatio. But I am old (54).

FellatioNelson Mon 19-Nov-12 04:46:24

ahem 'archaic' ? angry I am old, admittedly, but not that bloody old!

Longdistance Mon 19-Nov-12 04:58:55

Erm, I'm 36 and was taught rooves. I too have wondered where this word disappeared to.

Longdistance Mon 19-Nov-12 05:00:52

But is it dwarfs, or dwarves? Or is that something completely different....

FellatioNelson Mon 19-Nov-12 05:13:55

Yes, dwarves! I knew there was another cracking example but I was struggling to think of it.

I am not wrong am I - no-one says 'rooves' these days. confused

Iheartpasties Mon 19-Nov-12 05:55:24

I'm 31 and say rooves! not sure ive ever seen it written though. i'm typing with one hand, and breastfeeding, sorry for crap punctuation etc.

FellatioNelson Mon 19-Nov-12 07:13:11

Well I think we probably all say it, but you never see it written/spelt that way these days.

3b1g Mon 19-Nov-12 07:26:06

If there were more than one chief then I would definitely write 'chiefs' not 'chieves'. Not that the situation has ever arisen! grin

Northey Mon 19-Nov-12 07:28:18

I say rooves and would write it. I'm 34.

FellatioNelson Mon 19-Nov-12 08:45:22

I think I would too 3b - chieves sounds wrong. confused

I've confused myself now. grin

Longdistance Mon 19-Nov-12 13:07:47

Calf/calves?

3b1g Mon 19-Nov-12 14:39:30
Longdistance Mon 19-Nov-12 14:55:15

Shelf/ shelves?

I think I have too much time on my hands!

Dwarves is the UK version - I think we've got used to Dwarfs because the Snow White film uses it, the US version. But yes, hooves, shelves, wharf/wharves, half/halves etc., although personally I would use roof, with rooftops for plural grin

ceeco Thu 29-Nov-12 01:17:34

It seems things change with time. Shouldn't be so with grammar, however.
I too was taught "rooves". Was also taught "hooves".
Chief was an exception...kind of like i before e except after c.
Can't recall how dwarf is affected. A clue might be in the snow white story if someone can find an old version of it. I think it might be dwarves, but not sure.
While we're on the subject, what about pleaded guilty? We were taught that pled was the past tense for plead. Now all I hear and see is "pleaded".
While I'm here how about conversate vs. converse? Where did it all come from?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 29-Nov-12 01:23:30

Conversate??

<faints>

badtime Thu 29-Nov-12 11:47:34

(In a related and massively un-PC matter, I have seen copies of Private Eye from the 60s which pluralised 'poof' to 'pooves'.)

tinselahohoho Thu 29-Nov-12 11:52:18

What would you do for plural of 'bus'? Got very confused yesterday . . .

BarbecuedBillygoats Thu 29-Nov-12 12:00:03

Buses?

Rooves, hooves and dwarves here . Am 31
Interestingly my phone left hooves and dwarves but didn't like rooves and changed it to robes.

tinselahohoho Thu 29-Nov-12 12:10:32

So - is there any way 'busses' would be right? (I have to admit I didn't even know it was an option until I saw it.)

Trying to be generous here . . .

ChestnutsRoastingonaWitchesTit Thu 29-Nov-12 12:17:13

Fellatio, I agree that 'Chieves' doesn't sound right as plural for chief, but I've always said 'Handkerchieves' confused

BarbecuedBillygoats Thu 29-Nov-12 17:18:51

A buss is an electrical thing so busses would be more than one of those

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now