would you drive 14 miles to a party?

(15 Posts)
KevinFoley Fri 24-May-13 16:18:31

DD wants to do high ropes for her party. But we haven't got a big enough car for all her friends (all the parents have cars). It's 14 miles away. Would you be prepared to drive that far? It's a quiet route.

Yonihadtoask Fri 24-May-13 16:20:41

Yes, probably.

But I wouldn't want to drive there - drop off - drive home and then back again.

If there was some kind of car sharing thing going on that would be better.

Or is there something at the event for adults to go off and do - shop/coffee/lunch?

parabelle Fri 24-May-13 16:22:16

Would depend if a good friend or not. Maybe, would certainly pack the car though so I'd bring three others with mine.

Ragwort Fri 24-May-13 16:22:59

Definately, car sharing is a good suggestion though. Have often had to drive miles for parties (we live in a very rural area), never really bothered me, always found something to do whilst DS was at the party only too pleased for someone else to be entertaining him grin.

VBisme Fri 24-May-13 16:23:30

Yes, but definitely try to get a car share thing going. Can you suggest coffee shops etc in the area for the parents?

squiddle Fri 24-May-13 16:25:40

I would definitely drive my dd to a party like that - sounds fab!

Mollydoggerson Fri 24-May-13 16:25:52

Yep any excuse to get out.

Trill Fri 24-May-13 16:27:40

The number of minutes is more relevant than the number of miles.

Also relevant is the kind of place that you live.

I grew up in a village where many of my friends were 20+ minutes' drive away (in vilages with no buses), so my parents were used to it. If you live in a city where 14 year olds are expected to get public transport by themselves then parents may be less willing/expecting to drive that kind of distance.

lljkk Fri 24-May-13 16:45:07

It would be normal around here, partly depends on age. Probably not for a 4yo but certainly for a 14yo.

goldface Fri 24-May-13 16:46:01

yes def

KevinFoley Fri 24-May-13 16:54:51

They're all 8-9 yrs, can almost but not quite fit them all in the car. Think I'll see if one of the parents can help (we're going to a restaurant after so we'll treat her obviously). Just never asked anyone to drive so far before for a 2.5 hour party. Thanks for responses.

LoopyLooplaHoop Fri 24-May-13 16:56:59

Yes no problem

jetstar Sun 26-May-13 08:26:22

Yes I would smile

God yes, we have had parties for DS a lot further away and no one ever had an issue.

twooter Sun 26-May-13 09:05:05

Can I just suggest that you split the kids between cars, otherwise the child of the extra parent will feel really out of it by the start of the party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now