DD's 2nd B.day - Teddy Bears Picnic. Any ideas?

(11 Posts)
Lioninthesun Fri 17-May-13 18:41:08

I have decided on this as she loves the book and the song and I think this is probably a good age to do it. I am unsure on the following:
1. Should I do this at home or find a wood? More true to life/book v.s ease
2. Thinking about decorating to a woodland theme; toadstools and trees, lots of picnic rugs..any other ideas?
3. Food should be relatively OK as a picnic is after all a picnic, but would like to have a few 'bear-y' type things.
4. Party games - yay or nay? To be honest none of the are great at sharing expert at mugging though grin so not sure if this is really needed.
5. Craft station - thinking about getting paints or sequins out to decorate a pre-cut bear shape. I have 5 spare bibs, but not sure if this is a good idea thinking of parents not wanting kids to get messy?

Any other ideas welcome - I haven't really thought about the cake yet!

PoppyWearer Fri 17-May-13 18:46:28

IME don't worry about party games. 3rd birthday they can just about start to play games but pointless at 2yo.

plantsitter Fri 17-May-13 18:47:35

1. Do it at home. A wood making things unnecessarily difficult for yourself at this age.

2. They should each bring a teddy bear (or something). Perhaps an activity of dressing them up would be fun?

3. Bear-shaped cookie cutters to cut out sandwiches.

4. I wouldn't bother. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT be tempted to do pass the parcel with 2 yr olds (or ever frankly).

5. Do it if you want to! Maybe tell parents beforehand if you really think they'll be precious about it.

PoppyWearer Fri 17-May-13 18:48:04

Oh, and I wouldn't go to a wood, keep it simple/contained at home.

Sounds lovely!

Lioninthesun Fri 17-May-13 18:50:24

Oooo you guys are FAST! smile Thank you!
Have a few cookie cutters and cake toppers highlighted on ebay and some rosettes that I thought we could give to all of the bears.
Any ideas on the cake? Could do a square one with a picnic rug and bears on it, or try to do a bear shape... Last year did a rainbow cake so feel I have to live up to that one really!

Lioninthesun Fri 17-May-13 18:52:06

Oooh and I have the invitations to do too!
Last year put a mustache on DD for a photo and did a very 'WotWot! Bring a bottle to my crib!' kind of invite. Any witty ideas there ladies?

PoppyWearer Fri 17-May-13 21:54:43

Sorry OP, you have moved beyond my fields of expertise - am neither an expert enough baker nor arty enough to feel qualified to comment!!

For cake ideas, I usually Google and then give a picture to my chosen cake-maker (MIL)!

PoppyWearer Fri 17-May-13 21:55:17

(but I have bumped the thread for you in the hope someone else sees it)

monkeymamma Tue 16-Jul-13 19:26:36

I don't have much to say other than I did a teddy bear's picnic cake years ago when I did a lot of sugar craft and it was super easy especially if you do a square cake as you say. I made the bears from marzipan as its almost exactly the right colour. You can use dusting colour in darker brown to add shading etc too.

For the cake you can get silicone teddy bear moulds on ebay for a couple of pounds. It makes about 13 tiny ~3cm teddy bears - I have used these to make tiny coloured cakes, then put them into a larger cake tin and put cake mixture around it and bake. Key thing seems to be to use same recipe for both batches so they don't float to top/ bottom. Google twice baked cakes or polka dot cakes. Then decorate as you would any cake - mini teddy bear picnic sounds great and the guests will oh and ah just like a rainbow cake.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 16-Jul-13 20:25:52

Some 2 year olds would have a short attention span with doing the craft. I would do it in the garden and have ride on toys out. My bf did a 'bring a ride on' party and the kids loved it as they could all have a go on each others!! Maybe you could ask everyone to bring a ride on and a teddy bear.

Your party bags would be v easy if you did them too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now