Help! Feeding the five thousand!

(5 Posts)
tasmaniandevilchaser Wed 23-Jan-13 17:57:40

Thanks Jojane, hadn't thought about not doing much for adults, I've got such a 'healthy appetite' myself! I'll def think about that, will make it all a lot easier.

A friend suggested children icing their own cakes with sprinkles etc, will look into that as well.

jojane Wed 23-Jan-13 12:21:29

I generally do seperate food for adults, have done Xmas cake as mince pies for a Xmas time party, tortilla chips and Mexican dips ad crudités for a Dora party, hallowe'en cakes for a Halloween party etc, I wouldn't provide full on food for adults just something snacky then let them pick at the leftovers from the kids,

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 19-Jan-13 17:32:03

thanks blue that's good advice about the forks. I had factored that in when I made my list, but I fear I'm starting to fret a bit and had forgotten.

I have been to parties where they get the kids to sit down at tables and there are bowls of food out for them and a separate table for adults so they can pick/mill around.

I completely understand about the hygiene issue, I am of a similar mindset, (fingers digging into bodily crevices and then into bowls of food - boak). I can assure you I have a certificate in food hygiene and will adhere to the highest standards of hygiene if I do make sandwiches wink

BluelightsAndSirens Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:49

Forget pasta salad and anything else that requires forks.

We recently went to a party of this size in a hall and the host had 2 tables pushed together both tables had exactly the same food on them which meant we had 2 lines going at the same time instead of one long line.

Food you have listed sounds fine and I'm a bit sarny phobic incase you pick your nose or something whilst making them.

tasmaniandevilchaser Sat 19-Jan-13 17:02:12

Well, not exactly five thousand, but way out of my depth here. I have found myself in a situation - DD's 4th birthday party - where I have to cater for at least 25 children + loads of adults. So realistically it will at least 60 people (though about 10 will be 1 yr olds who won't eat much). The budget is limited and it is around 1pm-ish so people will be needing more than a few snacks (though I will warn my good friends to not expect anything gourmet!!)

It's in a hall, don't think there are any cooking facilities. I was imagining just opening a few packets and dumping contents in some bowls. I think I could probably manage cooking some pizzas at home and bringing them along.

I was thinking

pizzas (about 11)
mini sausages
breadsticks
sausage rolls
crisps
hummus and some veg sticks (cherry toms, carrots, peppers)
cheese (with pineapple if I can be bothered, true child of the 70's!)
some fruit - tangerines, grapes
mini muffins
birthday cake

Can't face the thought of making sandwiches, but I could possibly make a big tortilla with potatoes the day before.

I am in desperation even thinking of asking some good friends to bring a bowl of something instead of getting DD a present (she has enough toys!) Is this a terrible thing?

I'm feeling overwhelmed by the thought of it all. Any thoughts on any other food that is easy to provide and CHEAP!!! Maybe a recipe for pasta salad?

ps Sorry for the epic post!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now