Shirley's party advice part 4 - Better at party planning than Pippa Middleton

(1000 Posts)
BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Mon 29-Oct-12 18:33:35

New thread smile Everyone welcome.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 30-Oct-12 10:47:15

"This is why I never do sandwiches at parties." Not because DS doesn't like butter - I know my own child and make sandwiches appropriately. It's knowing how bloody picky small kids can be that stops me.

Quick quick. I went to the infamous craft shop and they have those bat and ball things. You know ball on elastic jobbie. Well they had 20 pirate ones 60p each i think they were. The shop is mad busy as people travelling in for half term etc so if any use shout quick. They also had princess fairy and christmas.

They also have those my first crayons/chalks for the elc you know them ones you grab with your fist for babies. Chalk 60p for 6 and 2.50 fir crayons if anyone wants me to grab fir babies you know?

Not fir babies. For babies.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 30-Oct-12 15:52:29

Ah the magic craft shop. I've found something similar near me now but always try to pop in when I'm near. Those 20p fabric kids aprons I got for DD's 2nd are still going strong smile

They still have tons of those too and xmas bits. Packs of colour me in xmas cards for 99p looks like 20 per pack. Ive got some big bits of black paper to do some firework splatter pictures. Dd1 is anxious about big school and they had exercise books for 40p so we've been playing schools which has been good as she read her first word properly today "rain" after we did oa, ai, ie, ee and sh sounds.

I nearly cried to hear her sound it out in her own.

Altho i could well be banned after she let rip in the shop with the foulest fart and dd2 filled her nappy. And that tiny shop was packed with people as dd1 yells excuse me, pardon me, sorry father christmas!!!

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 30-Oct-12 18:27:00

Our shop is a charity run scrap store and collects up bits from local factories that would otherwise would be thrown out but could make fab junk modelling bits. Circles of wood from the Marshall Amp factory are popular and they always seem to have huge bits of football net offcuts, huge cardboard tubes, sheets of card etc. There's no price on it and you offer what you think it's worth. They get some bits of end of stock things in there too. They had tonnes and tonnes of ball pool balls the time before last that I was in - all because the shop had changed the packaging!! They were selling them for a couple of pounds a pack! I even got an ELC tent set in there a while ago, the one with the triangular tent, the circular tent and the tunnel. The one we got for DS was £35, this one was something like £7.50! Well worth it to stop the arguments and my garden now occasionally looks like Glastonbury smile

Now I think about it, those Amp offcuts would make good cake boards....

Get down there and fashion me a rapunzel tower!! That shop sounds bloody brilliant.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 30-Oct-12 20:04:11

It is! There is also a more usual craft shop section that has brand new paints, paper etc cheap too. I got some of those light up Balloons in there yesterday for £1. They're selling in Tesco for £2.99!

I might be able to get some old carpet roll type cardboard tubes if you really do want Rapunzel towers?

Naaa i'm bushed. I just need to finish the costumes and regroup. Then tackle the cake. I'm at that stage where you worry is it enough?

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 30-Oct-12 21:34:42

I'm sure it's going to be amazing. My invite seems to have gotten lost in the post though wink

Hallowe'en tomorrow. I know MBJ is all spooked out but is anyone else doing anything? We've managed not to be invited to a single party this year and I was going to take it easy but DS has been asking me when we're going to start decorating so I'm going to have to do something I think. I've got a couple of pumpkins and some craft things to do and I think I'll do a special Hallowe'en Dinner. We'll drive down to MILs for 'trick or treat'-ing too. Hopefully that'll be enough for him. We're back at Legoland this weekend for the 'Brick or Treat' weekend if it's not.

We dont do halloween in this house, dd dressed up to visit my dad but thats it. She carved two pumpkins with him too. When our dh's business went bust we had people coming to the house at night threatening all sorts of terrible stuff so now if the door goes at night i get pretty hysterical. I wont be putting the pumpkins outside the door thats for sure.

We get more involved for bonfire night though. Always go to the local display and as this is our first weekend at home for about six weeks i may do lots of treat food for dd. she was allowed to stay up last sat too so i may let her again.

And i text you an invite its not my fault if you couldnt crane to see inside. You can come with your sister, you can stand guard with the fire extinguishers as i'm convinced my chinese import lanterns are gonna burn down the parish hall. I bet you fifty quid my name is dirt in the parish newsletter cone december.

There are 2 pumpkins sitting neglected in our house, and nothing is going to happen to them cos I am not home until late Thursday. Alton Towers on Friday (incl fireworks) and then comes the bit where I have to decorate 2 cakes overnight - caterpillar for Saturday, fireworks for Sunday (actual b'day Monday, but school +school bonfire party then). Bless DS, though - he said he would like to go out for lunch on Sunday, so that is booked and saves shopping and cooking which we didn't have time for.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Wed 31-Oct-12 09:19:04

Well so far we've had ghost shaped scotch pancakes for breakfast and the jelly is already setting for the Orange 'pumpkins' later, we've scared the grocery delivery man with witches hats pulled out of the Hallowe'en box and are now watching our spooky karaoke DVD grin

Now time to find a how to video of how to paint DS up as a skeleton later...

TheRealMBJ Wed 31-Oct-12 19:55:10

Hi all. Yes, I am very much Halloweened out grin. But have also had 2 children with a VERY NASTY BUG the last 3 days. High, high fevers and extremely grouchy/clingy. I considered unloading the dishwasher this morning a 'win'

Have not managed to get to the shops either so we are totally out of eggs, sugar, milk, fruit juice etc etc. So, I am hiding from Trick Or Treaters. All our lights are off and I haven't lit the pumpkin blush

So, I've been thinking about presents for DS

I see Play mobile do a great Pirate ship, a good pirate costume for role play and a dinosaur book (non-fiction) and the remaining book in the pirate-dinosaur Saga.

Playmobil and party planning in the same thread? Bliss.

The pirate ship (and, come to think of it, pirates in general) is one "theme" we don't have. We have a lego pirate ship, which gets hired out to playmobil police/farmers/airport workers/Romans/Knights/Dragons for cruises.

We do have 4 different Playmobil dragons, though grin.

John Lewis have 20% off all Playmobil this week, including the pirate ship.

TheRealMBJ Wed 31-Oct-12 20:45:25

Thanks for the heads up stealth Are you Playmobil fans then?

Just a bit grin. DS doesn't play with it much but it reluctant to hand it over - DD got her first "big" set all of her own for her birthday (school - half price from Argos) and is duly brainwashed hooked.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Wed 31-Oct-12 21:10:58

I read "The Pirates Next Door" to DS tonight. Would high;y recommend it if you fancy a deviation from the Pirate Dinosaurs.

We're pretty much entirely a Lego household though so I don't know much about playmobil I'm afraid. We had the ELC Pirate ship and Island which both children have adored but I think maybe J is a little too big to be starting with that now.

Have uploaded my Halloween pics to FB. I think I may have gone a little over the top wink

Have you got "The Night Pirates"? DS loved that one - it has rough tough little girl pirates (who let Tom come along, even though he's only a boy), and Captain Patch's best pirate curse "If you don't give me back my gold, I'll TELL MY MUM"

TheRealMBJ Wed 31-Oct-12 21:21:03

Thanks for the recommendations. Will get them, I think.

Off to bed now as am pooped

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Wed 31-Oct-12 21:24:01

We haven't. Probably because I always get distracted thinking about "The Night Kitchen" whenever I hear the name wink

DS is currently obsessed with a Solve it Yourself mystery book that was DH's when he was small that MIL gave us. I am so sick of it. It's not even a bloody mystery anymore as we've read it so often, DS knows all of the answers!

It's a lovely book. I must liberate it (and others) from DS's room to read to DD - it would make a nice change from princess stories.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Wed 31-Oct-12 21:30:41

Yes, I need to have a bit of a swap about here too. DS wants to read more Roald Dahl type books these days and all of his beautiful picture books are being missed by DD.

Sir Charlie Stinky Socks are good books for Knight lovers

TheRealMBJ Thu 01-Nov-12 10:21:51

We have a few Sir Charlies, and DS loves them but tbh, I find them difficult to read, the rhythm doesn't flow easily.

BonkeyMollocks Fri 02-Nov-12 20:53:55

Have been directed over here by TheRealMBJ , will read and be back!

This looks like the thread that will save me a headache!

This thread is not accepting new messages.