Shirley's party advice part 3 - in which Shirley may make a guest appearance

(995 Posts)

We appear to have filled another thread shock

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Mon 29-Oct-12 18:34:40

New thread

I tried to do a whitty title but not sure I managed it.

See you over there

OK, I'm back, but Blathers I think a new thread is definitely in order.

I shall think about the conjunction of pirates and dinosaurs, and lunch boxes, but right now I need to go and pretend to care that my DC are on half term. I also need a way to decorate a hungry caterpillar and a fireworks cake (both baked and frozen) in 6 overnight hours.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Mon 29-Oct-12 18:22:28

Hoorah, MBJ is here. She is luffly smile

We're currently planning DW's DD's "Tangled"party for next month and my DD's Rainbows and Elephants party for December. Anyone is welcome to drop in at any time and we try to help - and are usually found promising that we will do a similar party in the future smile

DS loves the Pirate Dinosaurs so I should be able to help with this one. Stealth is a pass-master at Pirate and Dragon parties too so she should have some good ideas too - Dinosaurs are just dragons without the wings after all as Stealth knows well having not long stitched wings to a load of Dinosaurs to make them dragons grin

There are tonnes of Whoopie Pie recipes in the Cake Days book.

TheRealMBJ Mon 29-Oct-12 18:10:39

Hi!

<waves>

I've been invited over by Blathers.

Would it be terribly rude to ask for a précis of current party plans?

For my part: after the roaring success of DD's First Birthday party (Haloween theme) on Saaturday (although if you believed my MIL it was a total distaster due to my inability to grasp the rules of presentation) I am enthused for DS's 3rd Birthday party in December (the day before Blather's DD smile) Theme requested is 'Pirate Dinosaurs' as in Captain Flinn and the... He has also requested Whoopie Pies

Current thoughts are:

Whoopie pies 'treasure chests' with treasure (chocolate coins

Jellies with dinosaur jelly sweets inside

Sausages for lunch with rolls and loads of ketchup

As you can see I need tons of ideas, there won't be a huge number of children, and will need to have some 'adult' focus

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Mon 29-Oct-12 17:48:04

Oh and party gubbins I bought in store but I think you can get them online too. Our Tesco is enormous though and I know yours is quite small. I can always buy and post if needs be.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Mon 29-Oct-12 17:46:18

I'm here smile

I'll even make the new thread if you like. What shall we call it?

Party lunch boxes? Do you want them theming too or will the themed box be enough?

Right, i refuse, REFUSE, i tell ya, to be sat here alone on this thread talking to myself esp as it'll reach its limit and i'm not starting a new thread which sees me talking to the walls.

So get back here right now and tell me what to put in party lunchboxes...

<meek voice> pretty please with cherries on top..

Yawn.

Hello folks. I was away at pontins. Urgh its taken me this long to boil wash everything we took and dettol the kids. It was a bloody hole i tell you.

Just reading to catch up. Poor you being ill stealth, do you know what poisioned you? Did you visit pontins?

Blathers, i'd dye 14 blocks for the candles...or... Now hear me out what if you dyed 7 rainbow colour pieces put them end to end and rolled them into a rainbow graduated colour sausage that you could use as a kind of collar round the base and set the candles into? Or use a "3" candle and put it on a pedestal higher than dolly.

And tell me more about where you got rainbow gubbins at tesco was it online or party section?

Ive really knackered. Ive stuck sun emblems on lunchboxes and bunting. Got the flynn rider posters/pin nose on game printed. Invites all made, cut and posted. Hairdresser secured but some div ebayer in china has taken my money and not despatched my 50 silk flowers for hair yet!! Grrrr. Pascal blower components all made and bagged up. I need to print out colouring/activity sheets. I have the lanterns for the release; the chinese translation is hilarious on them "wishing light for fire flying because if environmental ingridiant such as improper use caused by the release if the commitment" wtf?!!!

And "children must be undervthe custody of the adults use".

Anyway...who wants to help me with a flynn rider style t shirt....

link again - hopefully it will work this time. I think most of it is probably too old for your DD's age group - and it's too much of a risk for me to buy now and spend the next 12 months convincing my DD that she loves owls grin

It's Baker Ross - 20% off all things owl related - and there is some lovely stuff.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Wed 24-Oct-12 19:27:59

DD's little friend is owl mad. That link doesn't seem to work for me though

There has to be scope for someone to have an owl party

oooh there's a hbiscuit biscuit

I know sad. As a last minute impulse, though, since I am not (thanks, food poisoning) away this week and now I have bleached the entire house 3 times I am planning on making pumpkin biscuits for DD's school halloween party tonight (making them tonight, party is tomorrow). I have a pumpkin cutter (also have a witch, but she's too fiddly to decorate) and half a pack of royal icing sugar - and I have just got some butter out to soften. At one stage I was in massive trouble with DD as she was going to miss friend's halloween birthday party (for DGoddaughter's party) and it was looking like there would be no-one able to take her to the school one either (both of which transpired, of course, after I had bought her a £12 cat costume from Sainsburys on impulse). She is still missing friend's one, but only missing half an hour of the school one now.

Caterpillar cake and it's friend fireworks/roller coaster cake are going to be fun, though - I am going to be away for the 3 days beforehand hmm

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Wed 24-Oct-12 16:10:42

I see the Halloween smileys have arrived grin

I can't believe we're not planning any spooky parties this year!

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 23-Oct-12 21:23:54

Good point.

Well if you are going to end up owning a rainbows worth of colours anyway, then you only need one pack of white sugarpaste - you could either colour it or paint the blocks.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 23-Oct-12 21:12:15

3 or 4. I'm going to need to buy more.

Oh yes, I had forgotten about frosting plans. How many gel colours do you own?

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 23-Oct-12 20:32:41

Oh no! Sorry you're ill Stealth and mini-stealths. I hope you're all better soon.

I wasn't going to use sugarpaste on the cake at all to be honest. I was going with as-white-as-I-can-make-it frosting over the coloured cakes. I was wondering whether I could get a polystyrene board - from the Hobbycraft floristry section maybe - and cover that in sugarpaste...?

I was thinking of scraps from other bits of the cake - if you are not using the colours elsewhere, then clearly not worth getting them just for candle blocks - maybe you could make 14 little elephants to hold candles instead?

Cheap sugarpaste - no, not really - sorry! I used to buy it from local sugarcraft shop, but since they went bust I have to buy it online, generally - no cheaper, and it takes longer, but at least I can place orders at 1am!

This week has been a write off so far - DC and I have had food poisoning - hopefully I will get at least one of them back to school tomorrow, and feel a bit more human myself.

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 23-Oct-12 15:59:36

Unless you know of somewhere cheap to get Sugarpaste?

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 23-Oct-12 15:43:41

Hmmm. I'd need to make 14 blocks for H-A-P-P-Y-3-B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y and it'd probably be cheaper to make and ice an extra cake than buy 6 or 7 different lots of coloured sugar paste to do a rainbow.

Why not make little rainbow-coloured blocks for the candles to sit in round the edge of the cake?

BlatherskiteOfTheLivingDead Tue 23-Oct-12 12:58:13

Yep, 30 messages until this one is full. Did Shirley ever make her guest appearance?

I've just been to Tesco and got 3 lots of 5m rainbow bunting for £1 apiece! Can't decide whether to buy more and just do bunting and balloons as my decoration or whether to stick with my paper chains idea and do 3 x 5m chains of those too....?

I got balloons too and a set of rainbow Happy birthday letter candles and a white, glittery 3. Have realised that candles plus a peg dolly in a combustible ribbon dress might not be the best mix on top of the cake though so now I need to work out how to combine the two without having to call out the fire brigade. Candles are what it's all about when you're 3 so I need to have them. Considering making a wide cake to sit the rainbow cake on. I could then put the candles on that. I'm not sure icing the board would give me enough depth to sink the candles into. Either that or peg dolly gets relegated to the board to stand next to the cake?

I have a denim needle to re-sew the damn dragon wings with again and will have a go at rescuing what I can when DD is at preschool tomorrow. I'm really stuck for present ideas for her but have her present from us sorted. I'll finish the Dragon and have bought her this, this and this to go with it. The middle one was a suggestion from Stealth and the Dragon's are dreaming is from the same series as a Stealth suggestion because I couldn't get the exact book. They arrived this morning and all look lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now