So where *is* the best place to bring up children?

(199 Posts)
BananaSkin Sun 06-Jul-08 18:45:19

Following on from the thread on Parenting about bringing up children in London, where do you think would be a good place to bring them up? Is there anywhere that is safer, interesting, has cultural richness, good schools etc?

IDidntRaiseAThief Mon 15-Jun-09 07:50:28

ana, thanks so for making me read this thread again , and wasting my time, before seeing it was an old one and that i'd posted on it last year.

I NEED to be LOOKING after my child and getting her off to school, not sitting here wasting my time on an internet forum.

jeeez grin

Buda Mon 15-Jun-09 08:13:02

Interesting thread. I read 2 pages before realising it is an old one. Prob still relevant though.

Question - how/why does someone apparently new come on here and find a thread from last year and post on it? Strange.

IDidntRaiseAThief Mon 15-Jun-09 08:27:49

yes most peculiar!

MrsSeanBean Mon 15-Jun-09 08:43:40

Wiltshire is good IMO - not remote enough to be cut off from the capital, but certainly far enough away to be relaxed, lots of lovely countryside

SkaterGrrrrl Mon 15-Jun-09 17:11:07

Surely each part of London is so different that London can't be swept aside with blanket generalisations?

Yes parts of South london and East london are rough, but you could happily raise a family in Barnes/ Stokey / Crouch End / East Dulwich - places with a friendly, safe village atmosphere but spitting distance to the West End etc for culture/ night life.

SkaterGrrrrl Mon 15-Jun-09 17:13:15

I grew up in a big city and something that turns me off about raising my kids in a rural area is the lack of diversity.

I want my children to see mixed race couples or gay couples and people from all over the world without batting an eyelid.

At the moment we're fixed on staying in London.

HLaurens Mon 15-Jun-09 20:52:53

I've lived in Leicester, London, and Oxford. But I was born in Edinburgh, and am delighted to now be back here.

We have a lovely spacious Victorian flat with great neighbours, the local schools are great, and there are endless activities for mums with small kids. And the festival. And the sea is nearby. And Scotland is not as overcrowded as the south and Midlands. And Edinburgh is so beautiful.

Can you tell I never want to move?!

wahwah1270 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:32:21

I lived for nearly 15 years in East Dulwich before deciding that i should do the correct thing and move to a commuter belt village to rear my (then unborn) baby. Once life post birth stopped being a total haze and i got out and about with her it dawned on me that i have nothing in common with people here and i realised i'm not cut out for village life. now we are looking for a house in se22 with our nearly one yearold. Enough said..

I believe that if mum is happpy baby is too and you should live whereever you are happy

KidsTunes Wed 17-Jun-09 13:33:22

I'm still grieving for city life after 4 and a half years in the countryside, but I've put so much blood, sweat and tears into our house I'm reluctant to move

zebramummy Mon 27-Jul-09 21:21:37

i have been looking for a while - went to barnes this weekend but the aeroplanes were AWFUL - why does nobody ever mention this? is there a website offering info on this (i am sure a MNer somewhere would have this info @ their fingertips).

squilly Mon 27-Jul-09 22:00:00

South West Sheffield. Has all the convenience of being near great shops and the pleasure of being on the edge of the Peak District. I love it. Especially during summer holidays. There's always so much to do

When DD was little, I used to stand her on our window ledge, overlooking the vista towards the city and tell her how lucky she was to be born here. It's a great city.

Elephantintheroom Mon 27-Jul-09 23:03:14

Ashbourne is lovely. Only real downside is being so far from the sea, but it is right by the peak district.

Empress2 Thu 01-Dec-11 16:31:57

Waking up this thread again
Anybody know anything about the docklands area...

Where is a good place to live in the docklands my daughter is soon 3!

EverybodyLovesWine Thu 01-Dec-11 21:17:47

The Isle of Man!! Excellent schools, low taxation, affluent, very safe, stunning countryside and beaches.

What more could you ask for?

(you have to ignore the problems of getting anywhere else, limited shopping and the island mentality of course!)

OdesssasMum Wed 11-Jan-12 18:25:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

ladybird13 Thu 08-Mar-12 22:18:42

hello, I really want someone to tell me where is better for me to live, i'm a single mom and my daughter is 6 months old, i really can't decide whether i should live in surrey or Hertfordshire. Can someone please help me. thanks

fivegomadindorset Thu 08-Mar-12 22:20:49

Dorset can give NI a good run for its money but i love both.

emmyloo2 Fri 09-Mar-12 07:15:20

Perth, Western Australia. I love it here. Born and raised here and moved away for many years but now back home. Wonderful place for children - weather is fantastic, even in the dead of winter, beaches are beautiful and there are heaps of parks etc to ride and run around in. I love being able to be outdoors all the time. We live 10 minutes drive from the city where my DH and I work and 10 minutes from the beach.

But for me it's home where my family is so this is probably why I love it so much. My parents are 12 minutes drive away and my DH's are 15 minutes away, so we get to see them several times a week and I love that for my DS - to have both sets of grandparents so involved in his life.

PriscillaQueenOfTheDesert Fri 09-Mar-12 07:55:07

I'm dreaming of the day we get a house on the Isle of Wight.

That's where I want to bring my children up.

Roxs27 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:00:11

Looking for advice on Cambridge and Bristol? Possibly moving there from Canada with my teenager son who is 14. Can you tell me about each place, which place is best in regards of low crime, better schools, housing, and making friends? Thank you very much, all or any information will be greatly appreciated!!

bunchofposy Thu 21-Feb-13 19:28:42

Quick reply, but I have lived in Bristol and have family in Cambridge. Both lovely places. Not good schools in Bristol though (or didn't used to be), unless you go private. Lovely, relaxed place to live though (depending on which part you live in). West country is great. One of the best sixth form colleges in the country in Cambridge. I really like it there. Has a really buzzy interesting feel to it. Cambridgeshire very flat!

rrreow Fri 22-Feb-13 16:55:30

Roxs27 you might have better luck creating a new topic rather than replying to such an old one. This way people might not actually see your post (as there are 8 pages of posts before it).

xXSharonXx Sun 17-Nov-13 18:43:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I think the OP will either long have moved or never be moving. Either way doubt the services of a relocation agency are needed here.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now