1 month old awake for long stretches at night - usual?

(9 Posts)

Quick question as we're new parents.

Our 1 month old is waking in the night to feed (to be expected obviously), but is it usual for babies of this age to be awake for 1-2 hours for each waking with an initial sleep of approx 3 hours, then subsequent sleeps only 1-2 hours at a time?

She's a bit windy and has a touch of reflux, but nothing chronic and generally a good sleeper once asleep. She's not waking up crying or staying awake crying. Just feeding lots then staying awake on me, DH or in her basket, but not actually sleeping for ages....

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

DIYandEatCake Sun 19-May-13 10:08:18

I don't know how normal it is but dd did this for her first few months. She'd go to sleep at about midnight, wake at 2 and be awake til 4, sleep til 5, awake til 6... It is so so knackering, just make sure you get as much rest as you can during the day. It will improve.

BabyStone Sun 19-May-13 14:11:02

I think its normal. Most babies haven't learnt the difference between night and day at that age. What is she like at sleeping through the day?

wibblyjelly Sun 19-May-13 14:46:18

Hello to baby's witching hour! Although, hour is normally stretched to hours. It was normal for ds when he was that age. They should start going for longer stretches of sleep as they get older.

WestieMamma Sun 19-May-13 15:27:36

Our little one is 4 weeks old. His wide awake time is currently 11.00 pm to 3.00 am (ish). Sleeps wonderfully through the day. hmm

mishmash5 Mon 20-May-13 07:40:53

My 4 week old constantly feeds/fidgets/has wind from 9pm till 1am. We try to get him down from 1am but lately it has taken till 3am for him to fall asleep.
I keep reminding myself...it is just a phase. shock

Thanks guys, sorry for tardy reply...hands full with the LO! smile

She's napping in the day for 45 mins-1.5 hrs, but awake for 1-4 hours at a time!

She also has her actual witching hour (a bit colicy/farts/pooey) from 6.30-9 ish. So this awake in the night is another longish stretch, but no crying, just awake and uncomfortable with her windyniness.

Kafri Tue 21-May-13 21:30:01

its perfectly normal. she still has to learn night and day.
You can help by keeping night feeds very quiet and dark and daytimes light, noisier and getting out in fresh air can help set body clock too.
once she can distinguish between night and day she will probably start sleeping longer until the next sleep regression that is wink

wellieboots Thu 23-May-13 07:43:13

Might be controversial, but we had the same problem and we tried waking to feed 3 hourly during daytime. and making daytime interesting, getting out for walks etc. We kept night dark and quiet, took a week or so but then DD went to bed earlier than 3am which was bliss! Another thing I didn't know was that at that age they can only cope with being awake about 90 minutes at a go, so it's important to help them to sleep regularly. I did not know this, so apologies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggswink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now