Mother insists I need to give 2 week old water- do I?

(30 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Fri 15-Feb-13 11:33:20

confused My ds is ff and I have just been feeding him on aptamil first milk. The midwife said I could give him water if he was getting hungry and distressed too soon after a feed, to sort of tide him over. We had a few wind issues but infacol is starting to work and he doesn't seem distressed to me, so I haven't bothered with water. He is quite small but eats every 2 and a half hours, taking about 70mls at a time.

My mother insists the baby needs cooled boiled water to drink? Does he? He's 2 weeks old; am I dehydrating him? He has lots of wet and dirty nappies and his wee is clear and comes in abundance, if this is relevant.

I feel awful and a bit crap that I didn't know this. sad

Passmethecrisps Fri 15-Feb-13 12:48:02

^what pig's mummy said.

It is really hard when you get so much contradictory advice though

poozlepants Fri 15-Feb-13 12:48:19

My Mil used to go on about the boiled water as well. I ignored it- you should too.

ElliesWellies Fri 15-Feb-13 12:54:25

The fact that his nappies are fine indicates he does not need extra water. If we get a heatwave in April (wishful thinking) then that could change, but otherwise... no. At this age there isn't, in my opinion, such a thing as 'too soon after a feed' - feeding habits can be so varied. If he is having milk every two-and-a-half hours then that should be sufficient.

Celestia Fri 15-Feb-13 17:27:48

My mum is obsessed with my babies having water! She even asked the hv in front if me shock. The hv said not to grin.

It must be a generation thing.

LittleEdie Sat 16-Feb-13 01:26:04

Not in February. Maybe in August.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now