what voluntary work do you do?

(51 Posts)
reallyyummymummy Tue 22-Jan-13 18:40:00

DS1 is due to start school in September and DS2 full-time pre-school.

I know that I don't want to do regular paid work (I can afford not to and I don't like it particularly) but would really like to do voluntary work (maybe with children, not quite sure).

So I am curious, what voluntary work is it that you do? and how did you get involved in it?

Also, the organisation I work for provides services for older people. One of the projects they run is a befriending service for people who are isolated and lonely. The older person is paired up with a volunteer with similar interests who then visits regularly to chat and give them some company.

I was a volunteer reader at school - ironically had to give it up because I got a paid job!

I'm also on the management committee of our local community centre. I've recently secured funding for us to refurbish the centre which was really satisfying. I've also organised community events there.

I've recently got involved with a group who are setting up a WI.

bumperella Sun 01-Sep-13 19:56:39

I help out at a rural-skills training garden for vulnerable adults - that's a great one to take DC to, as she loves the mud, and the people, and I do feel that forming positive relationships with a variety of adults - esp those who just happen to be disabled or mentally unwell is good for her (esp as we live in a rural area where the population is pretty homogenous). It's great for both of us.

I'm a non-exec Director on the board of a different garden - obv she doesn't go along to meetings! I'm on a could local charity committees.

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 30-Aug-13 17:58:21

"if you want to carry your parenting skills into your volunteering"

Agree with this point. These skills are transferable to various types of volunteering. I did some charity work earlier this year, looking after a child from Belarus for one month by hosting. Really enjoyed it and doing it again next year. You see such a huge difference in the children from when they arrive at the airport, to when you wave them off home at the end of the month.

BackforGood Fri 30-Aug-13 17:07:18

Home Start is fantastic, if you want to carry your parenting skills into your volunteering, rather than doing something completely different - always need volunteers too, and can make such a difference to families' lives.

TheYamiOfYawn Fri 30-Aug-13 16:56:05

I've spent a day a week this summer holiday volunteering as a summer reading challenge assistant at my local library. I am the hosting rota for an NVT coffee group, but that doesn't really count because it's just having friends over, really.

DS starts preschool in September, so I'm going to see if I can help out at DD's school, and maybe do more volunteering in local museums or libraries.

ChoudeBruxelles Fri 30-Aug-13 16:53:02

Beavers leader

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 30-Aug-13 16:42:08

That's fantastic, noisytoys!! Congrats flowers what a lovely story smile

noisytoys Fri 30-Aug-13 16:36:27

It is appreciated we all recently got the Queens award for voluntary service - the highest honour a volunteer can get smile

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 30-Aug-13 14:53:49

noisytoys what a great volunteering experience - you must see all sorts during the night. I am sure the work you do is really appreciated smile

Tee2072 Fri 30-Aug-13 13:24:26

I do graphics for an organisation I believe in.

noisytoys Fri 30-Aug-13 13:21:35

I volunteer on the SOS bus in town from 9pm-3am. It is a bus parked on the high street and we deliver fast response first aid for the nightclubs and surrounding areas, help homeless people find places in shelters and give out food / cups of tea, take minors home and make sure they are safe, take non emergency incidents to A&E and have a general presence give out contraception and advice where wanted by people who are out late and give out free flip flops to people in crazy high heels or walking in bare feet.

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 30-Aug-13 13:05:19

Helped out for first time at my local food bank this morning. DS2 has just started nursery (preschool) which frees up my mornings now. So glad to be able to do stuff like this.

Rooble Switzerland Tue 29-Jan-13 09:19:47

I'm a school governor, and volunteer in the local Leonard Cheshire home (for the disabled) where I do craft/baking activities with the residents. They are always desperate for drivers. I also help with the school cooking club. For quite a few years I was a Samaritan but that can be quite emotionally draining.
Lots of our local parks are "run" by teams of volunteers in conjunction with the council. We have a city volunteering service who can match you up with volunteering opportunities (though I found they weren't v helpful - just found my stuff by ringing people direct and asking how to become a volunteer).

I run a rainbow and brownie group and volunteer for the NCT running coffee mornings. I love both, my rainbow and brownies are in an area where most girls had never even heard of guiding, and they love it! I've found the NCT great for making friends and very welcoming.

EssexGurl Mon 28-Jan-13 12:19:07

I help out at DS's school and Beaver group.

I found the school work quite an eye opener. I thought I was quite authoritative - when I worked I was told I was "scary". But these 7 year olds just run rings round me! I had thought about retraining to be a teacher when DD was at school. No way after last weeks session!!!

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Sun 27-Jan-13 18:59:30

Different things over the years including mentoring a teenager who was excluded from school and had a difficult home life...different charities do this across the UK, but you'll find info online. Perhaps being a magistrate would suit you, if so, try Ministry of Justice website.

FadBook Sun 27-Jan-13 18:51:03

Some lovely acts of kindness here volunteering.

I am a peer supporter at my local breast feeding group. I tend to make the tea and toast (a highly important part I must add!) whilst the medically trained staff deal with the yummy newborns. I do speak to the mums about weaning options and bf problems like baby refusing bottle (common).

mumblechum1 Sun 27-Jan-13 18:43:06

Family Support Worker for Barnardos half a day a week, and Riding for the Disabled (Kids with SN) for one morning a week.

Both enjoyable, tho' the Barnardos thing is hard sometimes if you have a family with multiple problems.

Rattitude Sun 27-Jan-13 18:40:31

The Do-it website is very good at filtering your local volunteering opportunities based on your interests.

Fuzzymum1 Sun 27-Jan-13 18:35:15

I help to implement a reading booster scheme at Son3's school - I went on a 2 day training course with a TA from the school and between us we support two children at a time for ten weeks to improve their reading. I'm in school three times a week and on two of those days I also listen to other readers. Our year 1 is split between two classes (10 in a mixed YR/1 class and 10 in a mixed Y1/2 class and I'm currently doing the scheme with two of them and reading with the rest of the year ones in the class. I love it :D

In the past I have been on various committees (toddler group, pre-school, PTA, governing body etc) but currently I'm not doing any of those.

IrnBruTheNoo Fri 25-Jan-13 20:01:43

Going to be hosting a child from Belarus in a few months' time through the charity 'Friends of Chernobyl's Children'. He will live with us for four weeks. Slightly different from your typical charity work, but really looking forward to it!

It will involve helping with the excursions/sightseeing (child will be coming over with other children who will live with other host families in the area) with other volunteers and spending lots of time with the children.

zcos Thu 24-Jan-13 21:30:08

Opps I meant mince not mice! He wasn't a cat wink

zcos Thu 24-Jan-13 21:29:11

That visiting elderly people in neighbourhood thing sounds fab! When I was a little girl my sister and I used to make mice pies etc for widow who lived across the way he loved it and we loved the attention too!

Almostfifty Thu 24-Jan-13 12:38:45

I do quite a lot of different things. I help out at the local Primary School, am on the PTA and Parent Council of my DC's school and am also a Scout Leader.

I also do voluntary work in the office of our local Children's Hospice. I thoroughly enjoy that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now