what do you use to bath your 7mo if you dont use a bath seat?

(48 Posts)
mamacoffee Sun 13-Jan-13 20:58:24

I remember from ds when he was a baby how manky the Bath seat got despite me cleaning it scrupulously there was always black grime from all the nooks and crannies! I've read threads about this problem so I know it's not just me!

Is it ok to just a bath mat and have her seated on that, if I keep hold of her so she doesn't fall? Any other ideas? Thanks

ZuleikaD Tue 15-Jan-13 13:25:56

The kitchen sink.

OlyRoller Tue 15-Jan-13 13:30:29

THE kitchen sink. So much handier as you're at a comfortable height.

I just stuck them in all together and got in with them quite often. 7m old I would just sit in the bath on a bath mat, and support them if necessary. 7m old isn't really in the bath very long anyhow so it was pretty quick.

fuckwittery Tue 15-Jan-13 13:33:47

kitchen sink or get in with them

Oblomov Tue 15-Jan-13 14:02:08

Never used anything. From day 1 they went in the big bath, just supported from birth, as i knelt down. And then as they got older, less and less supported, but I still knelt and watched them.

MrsHoarder Tue 15-Jan-13 14:09:56

Water grin

He had a bathtop baby bath until 7 months, but outgrew it. So then into the big bath with hovering parent

ZuleikaD Tue 15-Jan-13 16:43:21

Those who get in with theirs - don't you get freezing? I like my baths piping hot - far too hot for the DCs so though I love the idea of getting in with them it makes me shiver to think about!

mathanxiety Tue 15-Jan-13 18:31:20

Kitchen sink is the best place to bath a baby.

You are able to stand there and not kill your back, hold and support the baby with one hand and wash with the other, then whisk him or her out and onto a towel on the counter or kitchen table. Wear an apron and you won't be soaked.

I never got into the bath with a baby as freezing myself blue isn't my thing.

The kitchen sink and he still gets washed in it every day aged 24 months.

pookamoo Tue 15-Jan-13 18:34:31

I used to use a baby-bath inside the real bath for DD1. Then for DD2, she went in the tub with DD1. Never had a bath seat (not sure what it is!)

They both go in the bath with DH or me.

From the time they could sit reliably unaided, they have both been in the shower with either of us. Although now DD1 is 4, DH isn't keen on having her in the shower with him as her head is at an awkward height! grin

pookamoo Tue 15-Jan-13 18:35:50

Oh hang on, is it a bit like a bumbo seat that goes in the bath? Our health visitors advise against them as a baby near here slipped down and sadly drowned. sad

Presumably the parent was not supervising properly, but such a tragic case.

I used a Summer bath seat til she could sit, a hand on her back and a non slip mat while she was getting the hang of sitting and now (8 months) I don't hold her but don't take my eyes off her.

If we're away and I've forgotten the mat (which is always) a towel on the bottom of the bath works fine.

Jenmcl Wed 16-Jan-13 17:52:31

We held him and then got a bath mat but he goes crazy when in the bath trying to crawl stand up, he's so strong that there was no way we could carry on, maybe that's not normal?!very active baby!we got given a bath seat at Christmas and it has been amazing, I wish I had bought one earlier, guess it depends how active your baby is

Vodkapleasenurse Wed 16-Jan-13 17:57:30

My ds is 8 months old and I have always used one of those sponge bath supports. Even though he can sit up now we still do bath time lying down, so it's relaxed ready for bed time.
I just wring it out after every bath and it's fine. You can get them in John Lewis.

Dollybird99 Thu 17-Jan-13 20:51:28

I use the Munchkin Duck Bath

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3991130.htm?CMPID=GS001&_%24ja%3Dkw%3A{keyword|cgn%3Apla||3991130|tsid%3A11677|cn%3Apla||3991130|mt%3A{MatchType}|crid%3A14542145259}

it's small and you don't have to use much water to fill it up but big enough that my DS can play with his bath toys in it. My Ds loves it.

popserinis Thu 17-Jan-13 20:57:40

We put our daughter in a very shallow bath, lather down in it and she wriggled up and down like a tadpole. She loved it and now loves water too. Obviously need to kep a constant eye on her and have everything ready before you start..

popserinis Thu 17-Jan-13 20:58:38

Lay not lather!

CheungFun Thu 17-Jan-13 21:02:12

My DS has just turned one and I'm still using his baby bath, it goes on the bathroom floor and and he sits in it quite happily. I tried him in the big bath, but it just made my back ache having to lean over and lift him etc.

Um? The bath?

We used a baby bath for aboutsix weeks but DS just splashed all the water out so we moved him to the big bath. To begin with he just lay on his back in a few cm of water (splashing like mad) then he started sitting up so we added a bit more.

debbie1412 Thu 17-Jan-13 21:28:02

We used a bath seat attached to its own mat for about 2 months when it got that manky it wasn't worth keeping ds was far more sturdy not to need it x

upinthehills Thu 17-Jan-13 21:30:12

I put the baby bath in the big bath - saved tons on water and kept the splashes at bay.

We used one of these

www.johnlewis.com/230856292/Product.aspx

It's basically like a big sponge. Found it very useful & used it with 2 DC. It's a bit more secure than a non-slip mat.

Non slip mat. Now he's 9 months he likes to crawl around the bath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now