Anyone want to tell me about having 1 boy and 1 girl?

(31 Posts)
TheCountessOlenska Fri 30-Nov-12 16:59:55

So excited to be having a boy grin but I'm only planning on having two children - and for some reason I was convinced they would both be girls!

I am feeling a little bit sad that DD won't get a sister - I have a sister and I love her, she is my best friend. I don't really know any adult brother and sister who are that close?

Will they have stuff in common, will they play together??

DeafLeopard Sat 08-Dec-12 20:35:59

6 years between my two and though they don't play together very often - especially now DS is a teenager, they adore one another.

DS loves being the big brother, but like Sauv DD also protects her brother as he has ASD

EugenesAxeChoppedDownANiceTree Sat 08-Dec-12 20:43:43

I know what you mean - I am one of three girls and have DS (2.10) and DD (1.1) with no plans for more.

DD absolutely loves DS but they are still a bit young for real cahoots (?!). They are getting there though and they certainly care about each other. DD really smiles when she gets her goodnight kiss from DS. Also the other week, DH was on duty alone for tea and bathtime - they drove back leaving me where we had been as I had something on in the evening and was coming back later, and both DCs had fallen asleep and were tetchy. DH let DS eat tea watching television (to keep the peace), while he fed DD in her highchair. She was crying waiting for him and apparently DS came pottering in saying 'Oh no Daddy, [DD name] is crying - don't worry [DD name], I'll stay with you' and he promptly sat down at the table with his tea and started chatting to her.

I was really touched when he said! I don't know if they will be dead close as adults - DH is only averagely close to his DSis, but then, I don't know many blokes that are 'female' close with their families in general... you know what I mean; I can call my DM and talk for ages about this and that. DH would never instigate a conversation like that with his DPs, although he does respond when MIL initiates.

ISeeThreadPeople Sat 08-Dec-12 20:50:43

I have a 5yo dd and a 15mo ds. She sobbed when she found out he was a boy. She wanted a sister. But...

They light up around each other. DD bowls in from school at 3.30pm and her little brother screeches across the room to wrap his chubby hands round her. They dance round, cuddle, shout 'love you' and collapse on the floor in a giggly heap. They are inseparable. DD has never, ever berated him or been angry with him even when he tears her work or pulls her hair (this is affectionate!). She is gentle and proud and tender. He is happy and protected. DD has written a list of the 5 things she is looking forward to this Christmas. Two is playing with her brother. Three is giving her brother a present. Four is teaching her brother about sausages wrapped in bacon. I think you get the picture!

I have a big brother. He is a friend as well as a sibling. We are very close indeed.

LadyIsabellasHollyWreath Sat 08-Dec-12 20:52:15

I have an older DD and a younger DS, like me and my DB.

It's less "convenient" - you can't hand down so many clothes, and you're less likely to take them both to ballet/football/Brownies together - but I think having to think more broadly rather than just going along the tramlines marked "Girl things" makes me a better parent. They fight like cat and dog, but they also play brilliant games together. DS's teddy bear is currently James Bond.

AfterEightMintyy Sat 08-Dec-12 20:55:53

My dd is 2.8 yrs older than my ds and they have been fantastic company for each other. They shared a bedroom until she was 10!

Just now she has moved on to secondary school and he is still at primary and obviously their interests are diverging ... but they are SO good with each other, terribly close.

For dh and I, who knew we would only have two children (due to great age) it has been particularly lovely to have had the experience of parenting a girl and a boy.

ArthurandGeorge Sat 08-Dec-12 21:01:29

Dd is 3.7 years older than ds and they love each other to bits, often sleep together and are really as close as I would have expected two sisters to be. Leho and a wooden trainset are the things they have played together with most, and my ipad, but ds has also enjoyed dressing up and wearing make-up.

I too had imagined 2 dds and wanted dd to have a sister but I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now