Do you let your baby have petis filous?

(82 Posts)
MillyStar Fri 23-Nov-12 09:07:24

My health visitor told me that I could give dd anything from 6 months apart from honey and nuts, I've heard a few negative comments about petis filous though - do you avoid it?

post Wed 19-Dec-12 14:14:36

I thought that all sugars are not equal, in fact; I'm (clearly!) not any kind of expert, but I believe your body metabolises sucrose and fructose (from fruit) differently, and the glycaemic index is different, so with fruit you font get that same insulin reaction blood sugar spike, associated with diabetes? Anyone know, i wonder?

I got to laugh at the thread title and some of the answers. Yes op I let my baby have petit filous-it's petit filous ffs not arsenic! Sorry if I sound a bit harsh on the posters I realise that it is something many feel strongly about but I never do-just go with what you feel op.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Mon 03-Dec-12 22:08:20

p.s. xanthan gum is a thickener/stabiliser (stops ingredients from separating) and so is modified maize starch.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Mon 03-Dec-12 22:05:42

We liked the muller little stars fromage frais as they were/are marketed as containing 100% naturally sourced ingredients and were ingredients I had heard of.

catgirl1976geesealaying Mon 03-Dec-12 20:35:01

But what is Modified Maize Startch and Xanthan gum

I don't know but it puts me off them

SamSmalaidh Mon 03-Dec-12 20:33:42

When they say "fruit juices", what it means is a super concentrated sugar syrup from fruit.

kellestar Mon 03-Dec-12 20:32:44

Plum ones are lovely, sweetened with fruit juices. Perfect size for eating on the go. Otherwise kept a giant greek yog in the fridge for mixing up what we wanted. Stewed fruit is lovely with yog, also like it with granola. Now DD is older we just get the plain old and share it out.

Our supermarket stopped stocking the Plum and I had a panic, they thought I was mad when I made a complaint and had an empty Plum pot and PF pot and was spaffing on about sugar's etc. I'd have to travel into Bath or Bristol to get a supermarket that would stock them.

I love yog and ate tons of the stuff when PG with DD.

catgirl1976geesealaying Mon 03-Dec-12 20:28:12

Fromage Frais – Sugar: 8.6% - Strawberry Purée from Concentrate: 5% - Aronia Juice - Fructose: 1% - Modified Maize Starch - Stabilisers: Guar gum, Pectin, Xanthan Gum - Flavourings – Acidity Regulator: Lactic Acid - Vitamin D.

catgirl1976geesealaying Mon 03-Dec-12 20:27:28

It's the other crap in them that bothers me more than the sugar

FantasticMax Mon 03-Dec-12 20:23:05

I give one a day to DD. It's fortified with Vit D and calcium (17% of daily amount for both). A dietician actually recommended to me because I had to cut down on breastfeeds when I was going back to work and she wouldn't take a bottle.

I don't lose any sleep over the sugar content.

Wigeon Mon 03-Dec-12 12:50:45

Sainsbury's own brand kids' fromage frais used to have no added sugar, and just use fruit puree, but I recently noticed that it does have added sugar now. So I emailed customer services, and got a very helpful reply, which I think demonstrates that it's not just a case of fruit = good and sugar = bad:

"Thanks for your email. I’m sorry the fromage frais yogurt we’re now selling in store appears to have more sugar in them. I can understand your disappointment, especially as you want to feed your children healthy food.

All our products come from reputable suppliers. We visit them on a regular basis to ensure they meet our high standards. I’m therefore disappointed we’ve let you down on this occasion.

We’ve contacted our technologists who explained that our previous recipe used de-ionised fruit juice to sweeten the product.

This is a very concentrated fruit juice in a syrup form which is effectively sugar and is considered to be no more beneficial than sucrose from a health point of view.

Due to de-ionised fruit juice not being as sweet as sucrose, this means that more of this sugar is required for the same level of sweetness.

We’ve decided that this could be misleading to customers and therefore decided to adapt the recipe using a mix of the juice and sugar to give the best flavour, rather than make it appear as if products contain no sugar when they do in a less obvious form.

An added benefit is that as less has to be added, the total sugar content (declared on the packaging) has in fact been reduced from the previous recipe.

We can confirm that even if no sugar was added to our fromage frais, it would be illegal to make the claim “no added sugar” on the pack. This is because de-ionised fruit juice is deemed a sugar.

Although some major brands make declarations on products such as “naturally sweetened with fruit juice” or “fruit juice concentrates”, this is effectively highly concentrated juice.

I hope this information is helpful to you and your children continue to enjoy our buying and eating fromage frais."

I have to say I was really quite impressed about the detail in their reply (and they sent it pretty quickly after I contacted them). And although I am generally quite cynical (ie they are obviously trying to keep me buying Sainsbury's kids fromage frais), I think this sounds like a plausible explanation.

SamSmalaidh Mon 03-Dec-12 12:48:38

They're not sugar free, they are sweetened with fruit sugar. They have a similar amount of sugar to petit filous, it just comes from fruit juice concentrate.

catgirl1976geesealaying Mon 03-Dec-12 12:42:47

No

Full of sugar

I give DS some sugar free, organic yoghurts from the "Rachel's" range

notso Mon 03-Dec-12 12:40:27

All my four have had them at some point.
I don't ban any foods except nuts because DS2 is allergic and can react from just contact with someone who's eaten them (and I am discouraging of mystery meats). I prefer to teach my DC they can have anything in moderation.

drmummmsy Mon 03-Dec-12 12:17:49

my dd loved them from 6 months...not as much as she loved a chocolate button though grin

brettgirl2 Sun 02-Dec-12 19:43:02

And dd2 has also had a few petit filou from 6 months. They can have a varied diet from then.

brettgirl2 Sun 02-Dec-12 19:40:08

I am also fairly relaxed about petit filou. I have to be as they are the only yoghurt dd1 will eat.

It never occurred to me that babies would just eat full fat yoghurt until I had nothing else and offered some to dd2.

Probably on balance its better with no added sugar (either via fruit juice or otherwise) I think. I dont think fruit juice is particularly good for you tbh.

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Fri 30-Nov-12 11:14:41

Onwards not inwards. Grrr...

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Fri 30-Nov-12 11:14:14

Not at 6 months a no need for weaning but fine from one year old inwards, when they start eating more varied foods.

Eating is about moderation and enjoyment.

Refined sugar is toxic in excess and the sugar witch hunt started because sugar is added to any prepared food to make it taste better: soups, sauces, some meats, etc.

I do not use ready meals and do most things from scratch so I am very relaxed about a 50g petit filou here and there.

5madthings Thu 29-Nov-12 23:43:05

Never bought them, expensive and have sugar in.

Just bought greek.or natursl.yog and as it came in a big pot that i wouldnt use up.before it went off i froze it in an ice cube tray then.popped the ice cubes of yogurt into a freezer bag. I could then defrost them to have on their iwn to mix with fruit or in a curry or even to mash potato with etc. Easy peasy and cheap smile

Partial a level teaspoon of sugar is indeed 5g (assuming you are using a standard teaspoon measure and not just any old teaspoon).

But a level teaspoon of jam or honey is 10g - as both weigh more than an equal measure of sugar as they are denser.

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 25-Nov-12 12:18:48

its so the manufacturer can say 'no added sugar' and make people think its better for them.

SamSmalaidh Sun 25-Nov-12 11:57:10

Can someone please explain to me why "sweetened with fruit juice" is better than sugar? If they both have 5g of sugar then what is the difference?

Gooseysgirl Sun 25-Nov-12 08:39:45

DD has had them since six months... One on Sat and one on Sun after her lunch! She's at nursery during the week. I've not lost any sleep over it.

varicoseveined Sun 25-Nov-12 08:29:53

A vote for Muller's Little Stars from me. I don't remember the percentage of sugar but there's only 7 ingredients or so, nothing added that I have difficulty pronouncing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now