What did your two-year-old love for birthday/Christmas?

(44 Posts)
lurcherlover Mon 08-Oct-12 20:43:21

DS is two this month and relatives have been asking me for present ideas, and also some for Christmas. I don't think they want to get gift vouchers, I think they want an actual present they can see him open (fair enough). I'm a bit stumped for ideas though. He's not that bothered about cars or vehicles - his favourite toys are simple puzzles, and things with parts that fit together, and he likes drawing and painting. Any present ideas that went down well with your toddlers at this age?

CatL Tue 09-Oct-12 09:29:11

DD had 2nd birthday and Xmas within days of each other, and most successful things were Happyland house, Duplo Zoo, tea set, box of art stuff, play doh, dominoes (very hungry caterpillar - I thought she was too young but she grasped it quickly - if your DS likes puzzles he might be the same) and magna doodle. We also put a bit of money aside to buy something in the summer, and sand and water play table and 'pop up shop' both a big hit then.

Wallace Tue 09-Oct-12 10:07:19

He also loves the wooden train sets. loves putting together the bits of track so maybe your ds would like that aspect too?

Peekabooooo Tue 09-Oct-12 10:25:45

Little Tikes workshop playset? My nephew played with his for years.
My DD is 2 in December. We have got her a play kitchen and set of plastic food and some little tikes bits. We've suggested to others a bean bag, interactive laptop, megabloks, aqua draw, dvd's of her favourite tv programmes, wooden jigsaws, a little play hoover, and some clothes.

WhenLifeGivesYouLemons Tue 09-Oct-12 12:55:51

It might be a bit annoying for you guys, but little musical instruments are always a winner as is anything fancy dress or arts and crafts.

If he has enough toys what about some themed pj's or some cooking stuff for him to bake up?

Wallace Tue 09-Oct-12 17:08:10

Little musical instruments?! You fiend! grin

cashmere Wed 10-Oct-12 07:34:58

How about garden toys including a selection of those plastic mats that fit together.
Sand tray
Water tray
Gardeners set and seeds/ bulbs
Wheel barrow
Bucket and brushes (diff size adult ones for painting with water)
Chalk

Or if he likes drawing
Easel- ikea
Then ask others to get
Craft ideas book and different paper
Stickers and bits for sticking (feathers/pom poms)
Crayons/pens/paint
Craft storage box, apron and table protector
Set for painting with sponges/ roller etc

Magna draw thing
Aqua draw

Stuff for baking- cook book, apron, bowls, cutters etc

mrsXsweet Wed 10-Oct-12 20:43:16

Play doh and cutters were the most successful 2nd b'day present. Now at 2 and 3 quarters she is really into playmobil (4-10) and is getting the zoo for christmas.

CharlieBoo Wed 10-Oct-12 20:46:38

Both of mine loved the cozy coupe little tikes cars at that age!! Ds was never out of it!!! I think he'd still get in t if he could fit lol!

NapOfTheDamned Wed 10-Oct-12 20:48:30

DS is two at Christmas. He loves to play with the following at friend's houses or at home

Wooden train set- thnk we got it in IKEA
Play kitchen
Easel with blackboard on one side
Shopping cart
Toy lawnmower

NapOfTheDamned Wed 10-Oct-12 20:49:32

Oh yes, and toy Hoover and dolly trolleys and prams and wheel barrows, anything that can be pushed about at breakneck speed

LapinDeBois Thu 11-Oct-12 22:42:54

My just-two year old has suddenly discovered jigsaws in a very major way (wants to do nothing else at the moment). There are obviously loads out there, but we've just been given one gorgeous one; they're beautiful, simple wooden jigsaws by a guy called George Luck (search for George Luck Puzzles on internet/Amazon). They're really beautiful, but not just in a way that only adults like - my son loves his tractor one. In fact, before I came on here I was just googling some more to put on his Christmas list. (I don't work for them, honest.)

LapinDeBois Thu 11-Oct-12 22:45:20

Oh, and some of them are sort of multi-layered, with pictures underneath pictures; if your son likes seeing how things fit together, then he'd probably love them. Example here.

Wallace Fri 12-Oct-12 07:39:24

Somebody on another thread recommended the house of locks

lels99 Fri 12-Oct-12 08:00:48

My 2 year old son love his brio set - spends hours putting it out and playing with it (I'm forever tripping over it and being driven mad smile )

ThePinkNinja Tue 16-Oct-12 14:13:08

DS1 turned 2 yesterday. Party was over the weekend but we bought this:
[http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTech-Toot-Driver-Garage/dp/B0052KHR5E/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1350393126&sr=1-1]

And he hasn't STOPPED playing with it to play with anything else he received....

ThePinkNinja Tue 16-Oct-12 14:13:44

Messed the link up sad grrr

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VTech-Toot-Driver-Garage/dp/B0052KHR5E/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1350393126&sr=1-1

Or just google vetch toot toot garage.

bbface Tue 16-Oct-12 22:04:16

Just done my list for my ds, he will be 2.4.

Melissa and doug latches board
Melissa and doug magnet fishing board
Playmobil 123 large zoo
A little dog with a lead that walks and barks
Vetch camera (half price on ocado)
A lion hand puppet
Some books

He has only set of grandparents, and they do not live this country. So basically whatever he will receive is from us.

Toys that ds already has that he loves..... Playmobil fire engine, playmobile police van, giant foam blocks and a wooden work bench from pintoy.

He as independently for up to 1.5 hours at a time. He really does his enjoy his selection of toys. Pricey stuff, no tat and any plastic stuff is playmobil. It is worth buying good stuff, as then it lasts and really does keep them engaged.

shineygoldpenny Tue 16-Oct-12 22:08:21

Wooden train set, definitely. ds had his for Christmas just before his second birthday and still played with it when he was 10. dd also enjoyed playing with it and it's now been passed on to another family.

Jims Tue 16-Oct-12 22:17:51

Another vote here for a wooden train set. My DS has been absolutely obsessed with his since his second birthday. I got a big box of it from ebay for £25 which included bridges, an engine house, turntable and masses of track and trains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now