Is it detrimental to keep baby in your room for longer than 6 months?

(25 Posts)
MillyStar Mon 01-Oct-12 19:12:01

My daughter is nearly 6 months and I don't feel ready to put her in her own room yet!

Seems like a silly question but is there any reason why it would be bad for her to stay with me for a bit longer?

My boyfriend doesn't live with us as I still live with my parents so it won't effect our relationship in any way

TribbleTuckandDismount Mon 01-Oct-12 19:14:41

Why would it be detrimental? Ds was in with us until a year. He's fine, although has an obsession with cars. wink

QTPie Mon 01-Oct-12 19:16:12

Well my DS stayed in our room until 9 months old and it didn't effect him/us at all. We were waiting to move houses before we went into his own room (our previous house, the other bedrooms were on a different floor to ours).

When we moved - when he was 9 months old - he went straight into a new big cotbed (with all sides up at that age) in his own room. He didn't bat an eyelid and continued to sleep through. We LOVED having our room back smile

I would be more worried about more than a year or so: friends of ours waited until their daughter was about two and it was a bit of a wrench for the little girl. I think it is better before they become too aware.

QT

QTPie Mon 01-Oct-12 19:16:46

Tribble - don't ALL boys have an obsession with cars??? ;)

Bigwheel Mon 01-Oct-12 19:17:31

No :-)

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 01-Oct-12 19:18:27

No some are obsessed with tractors. DD2 is fond of cars.

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 01-Oct-12 19:18:33

my ds has no interest in cars either

We kept dd in with us until she was 8 months and grew out of the bed she was in. I couldn't face having to trek across the house until dd started sleeping a bit better. She's in her own room now, but I still end up in her room quite often, it doesn't seem to have harmed her.

MillyStar Mon 01-Oct-12 19:19:32

I can't think of reason but sometimes something you don't think about is staring you in the face!

She goes down at about 9pm and sleep through till about 6 so I don't think she's got a clue where she Is at the moment through the night

She still just seems to tiny to be all alone, think I'll wait till after Christmas when she will be 9 months too

Startailoforangeandgold Mon 01-Oct-12 19:21:38

To answer the OP not a problem.

Mine got thrown out because they got a bit big for the crib and they learnt to wriggle. They kept us awake and I think we kept them awake.

DD2 continued to BF and co sleep bits of the time.

DS1 was in our room until 18 months (bad house layout), was perfectly happy moving into his own room then and never had any issues with sleep.

XDD went into her own room at 8 months because there wasn't space in our room for her cot. I really wasn't ready for her to go.

We live somewhere else now, and our 9mo DS is still in our room. He and DD will have to share a room but he's a dreadful sleeper so I expect he'll be in with us for a good while yet.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amck5700 Mon 01-Oct-12 19:29:03

No1 son went at about 9 months as we waited until after winter as our heating wasn't the best. No2 moved at 1 year as we didn't want to disturb No1 by putting him in with him and we were moving shortly anyway - he moved straight into his own room and didn't bat an eyelid.

MillyStar Mon 01-Oct-12 19:29:06

Oh I might just keep her till she's one then lol

One of my friends kept her daughter in for about 16 months and now she has to put her in her cot fast asleep or she screams till she throws up, I wondered if that had anything to do with being near to them for longer

My daughters cot has got to be taken apart to move rooms because it won't fit through the doors so that's a good excuse for keeping her with me ;)

FriggFRIGG Mon 01-Oct-12 19:29:29

DD slept in our bed until she was 20months.
she moved into her own room and her own bed really well after that.she is a very confident child.

DS is 2 years old and starts the night in his own bed in his own room,but comes into us at around 11pm and stays because I like the snuggles
He was in full time with us until around 22 months.

IMO 6 months IS too little to be all alone at night,and it's perfectly fine for her to stay in with you until you get fed up with the snoring grin

notcitrus Mon 01-Oct-12 19:42:21

Personally the downside is dd wakes me up by screaming in her sleep, whereas one-off howls were easier to ignore when ds was in another room. So now she's 8mo it's nearly time to move furniture so she can be elsewhere and we don't wake each other up.
Can't wait!

QTPie Mon 01-Oct-12 19:53:18

If DH wakes me up with his snoring, can I move him too his own room too? grin

Cars, tractors, diggers, buses.... Anything with wheels!

Fuzzymum1 Mon 01-Oct-12 23:05:28

When we had DS3 we didn't have anywhere to put him other than our room. At 15 our eldest moved into the caravan for his bedroom and we split the bigger room in two so DS2 and DS3 could have their own space - by the time DS3 moved out of our room he was two and a half - we did it gradually, he helped us decorate his room, started taking his day time naps in there and then decided to sleep the night in there - the first night he changed his mind and went back in his cot, the second night he was fine and has been ever since. He's fine and has had no ill effects from sharing with us for 2.5 years.

COCKadoodledooo Mon 01-Oct-12 23:26:06

Ours both slept with us until around 13 months, and every morning still pile in for a snuggle (ds1 is almost 9). Has done them no harm and they're perfectly happy to go to bed by themselves!

Solo Mon 01-Oct-12 23:29:32

No, of course not!

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Mon 01-Oct-12 23:31:23

Dd is 2.9 and still sharing with me.

OstrichSized Tue 02-Oct-12 11:25:59

Moved dd into her own room and new big bed at 18 months and she never asked to come back to our room again.

I was waiting for the sky to fall, but nothing bad happened at all.

Do what suits you.

AngelDog Tue 02-Oct-12 21:40:57

DS is 2.9 y.o. and still in with me - we've had no problems.

He's gone from being put down fast asleep to being put down awake, and back to being bf'ed to sleep again (very useful when he started being overtired from dropping his nap).

It's been great - he's a poor sleeper (and was worse when we've tried not co-sleeping) and if I have to get out of bed, I'm awake for at least an hour, whereas with him in with me, I can be off again within 5 minutes.

An incidental benefit has been making it really easy when on holiday as he's used to being in with us. Other friends have complained how difficult it is to stay away from home because they/their child(ren) don't sleep because they're so excited about having to share a room when they don't usually.

DD2 was in with me til she was two, now perfectly happy in her own bed in her room shared with her big sister. DS, currently 8mo is still in with us, and will be for the forseeable future as we have nowhere else to put him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now