Anyone got children who are left handed or left handed themselves?

(57 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Oct-12 13:17:20

I have four kids. Two right handed and two left handed.

I found it really fascinating when I realised two were left handed. I noticed today that there is a left handed club you can join.

I know it seems a bit tricky to write with your left hand without smudging, any tips please

What left handed equipment would you recommend?

As a righted person I appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

HelenofSparta Wed 03-Oct-12 19:56:44

Hello, another leftie here. I was given left handed scissors, pencil sharpeners, fountain pens, rulers etc when I was at school and could not use them as I was so used to the right handed versions. In fact I think it is best not to use them as we live in such a right handed world, I think you need to get used to using things that are readily available.
I eat right handed as my mother always thought left handers look terrible eating the wrong way round! Also sew, knit etc right handed as that is how mum taught me (family of righties)
My worst leftie complaints are when I was at uni in lectures the little desks were on the right side of each seat so I could not use them! Also front door locks on the right are really difficult to do with your left hand, ESP after a few drinks!
My mum is a teacher and she always made me write properly as so many lefties hook their hand over the top and find it difficult to write well or fast enough in exams.....

exoticfruits Wed 03-Oct-12 13:14:59

The shop that I gave the link to opened in 1968 - there have been gadgets for a long time.

seabuckthorn Wed 03-Oct-12 10:41:10

I only write left handed and my handwriting is appalling!
We didn't have anything for lefties growing up.
I seem to be right hand dominant for everything but writing. When I'm teaching I use my right hand on the white board.
I am odd!

Ginda Wed 03-Oct-12 08:16:51

I am left-handed as is my brother, our parents are both right-handed.

My mum got me quite a lot of left-handed stuff as a kid from the Left-Handed Shop (used to be on Brewer St in Soho - think it still is but there are lots of online places now too). TBH the only specifically "left-handed" thing I have ever really needed is a potato peeler. Fountain pens adapt to the grip of their owner. Though those Stabilo pens they use in primary school have a grip on to help kids hold the pen properly and those come in either right or left handed, which I imagine is essential because of the grip.

It's worth bearing in mind that someone who is left-handed for writing will not necessarily be left/handed for everything. E.g. I have always eaten "normally", with fork in left hand. Conversely, DD is right-handed but holds her fork in her right hand. When I got a guitar, I had it strung left-handed but then found it easier for me to play it right-handed.

lljkk Wed 03-Oct-12 08:02:26

Ah, but in the UK one thing is very much perfect for lefties, you shift a car gearbox with your left hand. I found that very tricky when I first came to live here!!

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 19:31:48

I'm a leftie. I don't have anything I've just found a way to use all the right handed stuff. It's a bit tricky but nothing insurmountable grin It's easier to get used to it than to be reliant on left handed stuff and keep finding yourself in situations where none is available and then it's so much harder cos you're not used to it imo.

I write sideways, so no smudging. Paper tilted and write down towards me.

exoticfruits Tue 02-Oct-12 19:25:30

Another thing (very small but still a bit annoying) is that mugs are always designed so that the person drinking from it only has the picture facing them if they are right handed!

I have a left handed one. It was from here
I have had a cheque book for left handers for at least 20 yrs (not that there is much use for it these days).
I am left handed, have one left hander, and 2 right handers and one of those is left footed.

The main problem for left handed DCs are right handed parents who tell them they are 'awkward' and then they trot it out, so that if you say they are messy they say 'I am left handed' they are then very confused when I wait for the rest and when it doesn't come say 'and..........' , they have no answer they are just so used to the parent saying it.
It isn't a handicap.

MUM2BLESS Tue 02-Oct-12 19:13:08

Great response everyone

BerryLellow Tue 02-Oct-12 12:41:50

DS1 is LH and DS2 is RH - no other lefties in the family. It only occurred to me last year to ask DS1's teacher if they had equipment for him, and he'd been at school for two years by then blush

He eats like a RH though hmm

lynniep Tue 02-Oct-12 12:15:23

I am left handed for writing, but predominantly right handed. I always turn the paper when writing - never had any issues. Have never needed any left handed equipment, although my step sisters is 'properley' left handed and found the scissors a godsend!

noddyholder Tue 02-Oct-12 12:10:46

Ds and dp both left handed.

SuperSesame Tue 02-Oct-12 12:09:40

As a leftie, I'm noticing more things are for right-handed people as I get older. Cash points for instance, have the card slots on the right which is more awkward for lefties to reach.
Its only lately when I'm looking for it that I'm noticing it.
In college, those desks with the table attached were always designed for right-handed users.
I could never use a fountain pen.
I've got a left-handed kitchen scissors which my DH finds occassionaly and has wanted to chuck because "it doesn't work properly". Most kitchen utensils "don't work properly" for me, leave me with my bloody scissors!

lljkk Tue 02-Oct-12 12:03:16

Needles: I was convinced that yr4DS was RH until he was 3.5yo, he didn't settle on which hand to write with (Left) until... middle or end of yr1? I am 99% sure DS-reception will be LH, but occasionally he does something comfortably with his right.

LizLemon007 Tue 02-Oct-12 11:53:12

Well, I knew very early. I remember looking at my son pick up his cake with his left hand (at his first birthday). then when he'd finished he picked up the bowl with his left hand and licked it, pointed at the rest of the cake with his left hand.. I knew, but people told me it was too early to know!

NeedlesCuties Tue 02-Oct-12 09:28:32

What age is a reliable age to know if DC in right or left handed?

DS is 2.8 years old and mainly uses left hand - when colouring, using his fork and when throwing a ball. He also kicks with his left foot. I have seen him use his right hand sometimes, but mainly left.

Both DH & I are right handed.

Do you think DS could change, or is this all really a sign he's left handed.

I don't mind either way, but I'm curious!

sashh Tue 02-Oct-12 07:13:33

Depending on the age.

To open a bottle of wine, put the corkscrew in the top and then turn the bottle and hold the corkscrew still.

Me and DH are both RH as is our DS. DH's identical twin DD's, one is RH, the younger is LH. It's the only non-identical thing about them grin We have always had left handed scissors in the house for her, but that's about it.

But the weird thing is they both eat the wrong way around. The RH twin eats with fork in RH, knife in LH and the LH twin with fork in LH, knife in RH. They don't get the using the knife in your strongest hand thing. But I think it's a family trait as DH eats as if he is LH when he is RH.

PiedWagtail Mon 01-Oct-12 19:08:56

My 5yo ds is a leftie. Left-handed scissors are essential. I also got him pencil grips - little rubber things that slide on to your pencil and you rest your fingers/thumbs in the right place - help to improve pencil grip. Get him to turn his paper to the side too when writing, not try to have it at 90 degrees to the edge of the table. That way he doesn't smudge what he's writing. He doesn;'t have any other special equipment.

Lozario Mon 01-Oct-12 18:58:31

Oh I have my cutlery the "normal" way too - some people swap my fork and knife for me on hearing I'm left handed but I find it much easier eating with fork in left hand. In fact I've often wondered how right-handed people manage with fork in left - I would definitely struggle the other way around!

Lozario Mon 01-Oct-12 18:56:22

I'm left handed and DS is also left handed - when we found out, FIL said to me "did you do that on purpose?"! hmm I still get the odd wrinkle-nosed "oh, I didn't know you're left-handed!" comment now and then, anyone else?
I really like being a leftie. I've always turned the page to avoid smudging too. DD and DH are both right-handed and I have much better handwriting than DH
I play guitar right-handed but that's it, everything else is left! grin

MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Oct-12 18:52:41

Wow what an amazing response. Thank you everyone.

I will let my daughter see this.

Year ago I know L H people were not treated as they should be. Thank God times have moved on.

Fleecy Mon 01-Oct-12 18:50:45

5madthings - I didn't know you were both lefties. None of my three are - perhaps that's where I've gone wrong. Should have had another couple to improve my chances!

Fleecy Mon 01-Oct-12 18:49:18

I am left handed and never had any special equipment. I also turn my paper slightly when writing.

I can only think of two inconvenient things. Firstly, whenever you have to sign something they always pass it to you as though you were right handed and you have to turn it (signing for a parcel or giving your details when returning something in a shop). Secondly, eating pudding with a spoon and fork. Just not possible for me smile

whogivesaduck1 Mon 01-Oct-12 18:45:20

vicar i have never met anyone else that moves the paper round! i turn it from portrait to landscape, but write down it so that when it is portrait way up it looks normal.

I have not got any lefty things, but one thing that drives me mad is the spine on binders- you always have to leave a gap!

5madthings Mon 01-Oct-12 18:14:05

You can get left handed cheque books! Just ask your bank smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now