Anyone got children who are left handed or left handed themselves?

(57 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Mon 01-Oct-12 13:17:20

I have four kids. Two right handed and two left handed.

I found it really fascinating when I realised two were left handed. I noticed today that there is a left handed club you can join.

I know it seems a bit tricky to write with your left hand without smudging, any tips please

What left handed equipment would you recommend?

As a righted person I appreciate any ideas and suggestions.

exoticfruits Tue 02-Oct-12 19:25:30

Another thing (very small but still a bit annoying) is that mugs are always designed so that the person drinking from it only has the picture facing them if they are right handed!

I have a left handed one. It was from here
I have had a cheque book for left handers for at least 20 yrs (not that there is much use for it these days).
I am left handed, have one left hander, and 2 right handers and one of those is left footed.

The main problem for left handed DCs are right handed parents who tell them they are 'awkward' and then they trot it out, so that if you say they are messy they say 'I am left handed' they are then very confused when I wait for the rest and when it doesn't come say 'and..........' , they have no answer they are just so used to the parent saying it.
It isn't a handicap.

HecateHarshPants Tue 02-Oct-12 19:31:48

I'm a leftie. I don't have anything I've just found a way to use all the right handed stuff. It's a bit tricky but nothing insurmountable grin It's easier to get used to it than to be reliant on left handed stuff and keep finding yourself in situations where none is available and then it's so much harder cos you're not used to it imo.

I write sideways, so no smudging. Paper tilted and write down towards me.

lljkk Wed 03-Oct-12 08:02:26

Ah, but in the UK one thing is very much perfect for lefties, you shift a car gearbox with your left hand. I found that very tricky when I first came to live here!!

Ginda Wed 03-Oct-12 08:16:51

I am left-handed as is my brother, our parents are both right-handed.

My mum got me quite a lot of left-handed stuff as a kid from the Left-Handed Shop (used to be on Brewer St in Soho - think it still is but there are lots of online places now too). TBH the only specifically "left-handed" thing I have ever really needed is a potato peeler. Fountain pens adapt to the grip of their owner. Though those Stabilo pens they use in primary school have a grip on to help kids hold the pen properly and those come in either right or left handed, which I imagine is essential because of the grip.

It's worth bearing in mind that someone who is left-handed for writing will not necessarily be left/handed for everything. E.g. I have always eaten "normally", with fork in left hand. Conversely, DD is right-handed but holds her fork in her right hand. When I got a guitar, I had it strung left-handed but then found it easier for me to play it right-handed.

seabuckthorn Wed 03-Oct-12 10:41:10

I only write left handed and my handwriting is appalling!
We didn't have anything for lefties growing up.
I seem to be right hand dominant for everything but writing. When I'm teaching I use my right hand on the white board.
I am odd!

exoticfruits Wed 03-Oct-12 13:14:59

The shop that I gave the link to opened in 1968 - there have been gadgets for a long time.

HelenofSparta Wed 03-Oct-12 19:56:44

Hello, another leftie here. I was given left handed scissors, pencil sharpeners, fountain pens, rulers etc when I was at school and could not use them as I was so used to the right handed versions. In fact I think it is best not to use them as we live in such a right handed world, I think you need to get used to using things that are readily available.
I eat right handed as my mother always thought left handers look terrible eating the wrong way round! Also sew, knit etc right handed as that is how mum taught me (family of righties)
My worst leftie complaints are when I was at uni in lectures the little desks were on the right side of each seat so I could not use them! Also front door locks on the right are really difficult to do with your left hand, ESP after a few drinks!
My mum is a teacher and she always made me write properly as so many lefties hook their hand over the top and find it difficult to write well or fast enough in exams.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now