Dear Newbies ... If you could possibly stop typing in text speak and bringing down the tone of the neighbourhood

(103 Posts)
Twiglett Thu 07-Sep-06 18:36:18

we'd appreciate it

thank you

oh and by the way ... should have, could have, would have (not of)

sleepyhead Tue 02-Oct-12 14:06:33

You might have a point slappy... if this thread wasn't 6 years old hmm

slappywappydoodah Tue 02-Oct-12 13:59:28

I dont mean to get into a massive row here, but I dont think you can really have a go at newbies (or anyone else for that matter) for their use of text speak when MumsNet as a whole is so absolutely bursting with acronyms.

The whole premise of text speak to shortening of words and use of acronyms... how is this any worse than your regular use of such increasinly long and ridiculous acronyms as DC, DH, DP, BFP, DSS1, STBXW etc?

jabberwocky Tue 12-Sep-06 05:26:06

Lainey6, click on acronym list at the top of the page for MN shorthand.

I am another one who skips any post in textspeak. If they can't be bothered to type properly, I can't be bothered to read it.

ghosty Tue 12-Sep-06 02:31:30

Am there in spirit behind WWB, MM and MI and the rest of you.
I text in txtspk to a couple of my friends who do it to me too - we do it for a laugh. Everyone else gets proper words with punctuation etc.
I can only ever log on for 30 minutes at a time on MN and just don't have the energy to translate so if I open a thread in text speak I promptly close it again.
I struggle enough with Cod's messages but have become used to them ... although I am thinking about suggesting a whip round to get her some typing lessons

Lainey6 Tue 12-Sep-06 02:28:29

Actually, while I am here... People talk about their DH, DD1 etc. What does this mean? What is the Mumsnet shorthand which is so commonly used? Twigglet, you are so obviously a regular, therefore, can you explain? xxx

Lainey6 Tue 12-Sep-06 01:57:47

OOh well. Nice 2 c that Twiglett started n int'resting, con'sation. duhhhh! Haha. x

PinkTulips Sat 09-Sep-06 18:43:54

i'm young and i cant read it at all. don't use it, not even in texts and neither does anyone i know. can't stand having to decipher posts... usually don't bother tbh!

Donbean Sat 09-Sep-06 15:01:56

cod, have you just been on your hols?

coderoo Sat 09-Sep-06 15:01:02

well ic ant rememebr but hteyr wer very sound
arf

Beetroot Sat 09-Sep-06 14:42:11

what are cods four rules?

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 08-Sep-06 13:02:13

Actually, for text speak OP's i think we should refer to cods 4 rules of answering posts....

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 08-Sep-06 13:01:41

Da?

AHEM

I posted this last week

I am going to start replying to txt speak posts in Russian or similar so they can't understand either

WideWebWitch Fri 08-Sep-06 11:47:46

I totally agree MrsBadger and Twig. Posters can use text speak all they like but I can't be arsed to read it and so won't reply to text speak posts (you may think that's a good thing, especially if you like banning children at weddings or something .)

And absolutely, whoever said it developed because of word count restrictions which aren't applicable here and are pretty much not even applicable in actual phone texts either. What's the point?

poptot Fri 08-Sep-06 11:40:30

My MIL uses text speak to text and I really can't cope with it, it's so unbecoming I'm afraid I have to type the whole thing out in a text never mind on her.

1Baby1Bump Fri 08-Sep-06 11:30:11

rustybears' post is terrific! i read it no problem.
sorry to sound like a loser but that is totally amazing!

Beetroot Fri 08-Sep-06 11:22:07

katie, i wrote it!!

LiliLaTigresse Fri 08-Sep-06 09:46:12

agree with the Marmitey one on this
we all have a full keyboard, let's use it

Sandcastles Fri 08-Sep-06 09:36:05

I will admit to using text speak, but only when I text a friend who I know does the same & can read it. I wouldn't use it in any other form of communication, especially not here.

jura Fri 08-Sep-06 09:30:58

As one of the grammar/spelling pedants here, who uses full text and proper punctuation in text messages, I wholeheartedly agree with you Twig.

Again.

Oh, and happy birthday . How old does that make you this week?

katierocket Fri 08-Sep-06 09:28:58

Twas a joke beety

Beetroot Fri 08-Sep-06 09:28:50

omg is imo txtspk?

Beetroot Fri 08-Sep-06 09:28:25

spelling is a different matter imo..some people find that tricky and should not be slated for it

katierocket Fri 08-Sep-06 09:26:58

I also heartedly agree with showofhands.

Gosh I'm in an agreeable mood.

katierocket Fri 08-Sep-06 09:26:22

I agree I agree I agree I agree I agree I agree.

It's annoying and unnecessary.

Please watch spelling too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now