MEDICAL RECORDS what to do if you suspect someone has looked t yours without permission

(7 Posts)
addictedtolatte Wed 13-Feb-13 21:15:10

Hi I strongly suspect someone I know who works in NHS has been looking on mine and my families medical records. Do you know if there Is there anyone I can get in touch with to put a stop to this? Thanks

addictedtolatte Wed 13-Feb-13 21:34:26

Bump

SorrelForbes Wed 13-Feb-13 21:37:26

I would write to PALS at the hospital (or to the Practice Manager if it's your GP records) outlining your suspicions/concerns and asking for the issue to be investigated on your behalf.

iliketea Wed 13-Feb-13 21:43:20

Get in touch with PALS - if it's an electronic record, it shouldn't be a problem finding out as the system should have login and password specific to individual users. If it's paper records (as in hospital), unless your relative can access all records in line of work, then there should be a record of any requests for accessing those notes (and normally with a reason such as clinic appointment or hospital admission).

addictedtolatte Wed 13-Feb-13 22:00:41

Thanks both of you I will get in touch with pals. It is my exp sister who I suspect. He slipped up last week about my sister having an MRI scan and me having a double prolapse. She can access this info as she is responsible for updating medical records computer programs.

3littlefrogs Sat 23-Feb-13 20:51:29

How did you get on?

I am interested in this because I have access to GP and hospital records, and I would not dream of accessing anything without a legitimate reason. I would be appalled to think that someone in a position of trust would do this. I would certainly not access anything to do with a relative's record.

It is very easy to find out who has looked at which records, and when.

tribpot Sat 23-Feb-13 21:00:50

I recently dealt with a case which had come via the Information Commissioner's Office, where it was suspected that various patients had had their whereabouts sold on. I mention this because it shows how seriously this kind of breach is taken.

Each NHS organisation has a Caldicott Guardian who is responsible for ensuring confidentiality is preserved. If PALS have not already passed the inquiry on to the CG at the Trust, you should escalate this to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now