Positive representations of one-child families

(34 Posts)
SallyCinnamonandNutmeg Tue 26-Feb-13 13:30:34

Sometimes it seems as if the "norm" of 2-children families is all I see/read about...so I thought I would start a thread listing one-child families in books/on TV/in films etc ...can anyone add some more??

- Little Princess (books/TV)
- Tilly from Tilly & Friends (books/TV)
- Daisy (in Kes Gray series of books - also a one-parent family as far as I can tell)
- Milly-Molly-Mandy
- Christopher Robin

- Sainsburys Bare Necessities advert with dad & little boy playing on beach
- Weetabix Golden Syrup advert with dad & little boy having day out
(please ignore possibly slightly sexist nature of above 2 ads!)

Any more??? smile

Scout19075 Thu 07-Nov-13 17:38:26

happy, Wooly and Tig is on Cbeebies.

happy2help Mon 04-Nov-13 20:25:30

Don't know about Woolly and Tig - what channel is this on, please?

bluebeanie Fri 01-Nov-13 09:34:59

The recent Natwest mortgage advert with a couple living with their parents to save up for a deposit and then they move into their house and have a baby (said child is narrating). There is also a Holiday Inn advert advertising free breakfasts. There's a family of 3 on that too. grin

LalaLeona Thu 31-Oct-13 20:53:33

'The only child club' by Anne Fine is a great one, my only dd6 just got it out of the library and loved it. I thought of all you guys on this forum, and have been trying to tell people about it..v good x

Snog Sat 07-Sep-13 18:14:08

all the roald dahl characters iirc
mathilda
charlie
danny
james
et al

Takver Tue 25-Jun-13 17:13:46

A few more to add:

Neither Frodo nor Bilbo Baggins has siblings AFAIK
Rosemary in the Carbonel books
At least Diggory Kirk, Polly Plummer, Jill Pole and Eustace Scrubb in the Narnia books and possibly others (of course Eustace isn't really a great role model)

There are absolutely loads of only children in fiction, I think!

SunshineAndPeardrops Fri 21-Jun-13 11:53:59

Angela and Charlie from the My Best Fiend series, by Sheila Lavelle, are both onlies. I was desperate to be Angela when I was little!

Ursula, from The Ursula Bear series, again, by Sheila Lavelle

Arriety from The Borrowers is an only (in the books at least).

Lucie in Mrs Tiggy-Winkle.

Plop, The Barn Owl!! I am fairly sure he didn't have any brothers and sisters anyway.

Pippi Longstocking.

persimmon Sun 14-Apr-13 21:26:45

Ben from Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom?
The girl with pink hair in Lazy Town.

NotTreadingGrapes Tue 02-Apr-13 09:19:37

Don't think the little princess (vile creature that she is) is a good role model.

I am the only daughter of an only son and have an only daughter. To be honest, I think you can overthink these things and create problems/issues where there might not actually be any.

It never crossed my mind to seek out books/films portraying onlies.

vesela Tue 02-Apr-13 09:15:24

Bunchy (also by Joyce Lankester Brisley, who wrote Milly Molly Mandy)

GoshAnneGorilla Tue 02-Apr-13 04:26:21

Milly and Molly are two only children who are best friends. That's on Tiny Pop. Also on there is Timothy Goes To School, which is about an only bear. Fair warning, it is a tad rubbish, but your little one may like.

Lynnie77 Wed 27-Mar-13 12:14:24

My DD is obsessed with Woolly and Tig! I think she can relate to her, especially with it being filmed locally.

What about Little Nutbrown Hare, from Guess How Much I love You! smile

Lovemylittlegirl Tue 26-Mar-13 15:35:24

As others have said I think the VW advert is good and also the natwest advert where the dad is trying to save for his dream car, That's so us!

MoYerBoat Mon 25-Mar-13 20:20:13

the girl in The Tiger Who Came to Tea smile

FeckOffCup Mon 25-Mar-13 12:19:41

Is Peter Pan an only child, I thought he went back to see his mum after some time in neverland but she has "replaced" him with another child?

Moominsarehippos Sun 24-Mar-13 23:21:26

Charlie Buckett
Paddington Bear
Peter Pan

dabdab Sun 24-Mar-13 23:20:19

Danny the Champion of the World.

reddaisy Sun 24-Mar-13 23:16:14

The Grufalo's Child! And think the Grufalo is a lone parent too. We have a Little Princess book where she gets a baby brother so she isn't an only for long!

Moominsarehippos Sun 24-Mar-13 23:14:33

Anything buy that banking ad with that ghastly girl pointing at bike, horse, car, house amd Daddy buying it for her. A perfect advertisement for contraception! I think they've pulled it now though (I prefer Rosie and the Mustang ISA ad!).

MorganMummy Sun 24-Mar-13 23:10:50

Clever Polly has a younger sister whom she has to rescue from the wolf's clutches at one point.

Will try to think of some as I would love to have lots of examples for my son.

FeckOffCup Sat 23-Mar-13 17:19:54

The VW advert showing the little girl growing up and eventually driving off to university in her new car.

TheFallenNinja Sun 17-Mar-13 06:42:00

What's possibly sexist about the last 2?

showtunesgirl Sun 10-Mar-13 23:31:46

Doh, I read that as one parent family. blush

showtunesgirl Sun 10-Mar-13 23:31:22

The Stevie Day books by Jacqueline Wilson. Not a very well known series but it's great.

Also even though it's a supernatural story, The Changeover by Margaret Mahy is also about a one parent family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now