Homework from nursery!

(31 Posts)
LCarbury Mon 01-Oct-12 22:13:51

DC has just turned 3 and the nursery is sending home reading books and a newsletter to fill in! Am I being really grumpy or is this homework for parents a bit much, frankly?

I am very happy to read to my child but if parents pay a grand a month at the nursery is it really not normal for them to also have e.g. a copy of "Peace at last" at home? The thing that really bugs me is the written newsletter homework, clearly parents have to fill this in so what is the point?

It is not a true pre-school in my opinion, as there is no qualified teacher, it is childcare so is this really necessary? I feel like it is the nursery trying to pretend to be posher than it is, they can't even spell properly in their own newsletter for goodness' sake. I feel I pay them to reduce my administrative hassle and be nice to my child, not to give me extra admin and things to feel guilty about.

Someone please tell me that Ofsted require this sort of thing and then I will not feel like it is the nursery doing it to wind me up.

LCarbury Sun 11-Nov-12 21:38:58

Sorry but water off a duck's back, thanks all the same for your time though

ReallyTired Sun 11-Nov-12 23:07:08

Tups67
I think you are being an offensive prat. There is no way that a child of nursery age should be having homework. 50 hours a week in daycare is quite enough with out homework.

DS was in full time day care at the same age. His behaviour at school was absolutely fine. There is plenty of evidence that children do well in full time day care.

I seriously can't believe I am reading some of these comments! I am fed up of parents thinking they can have children and then when they reach 6 months can dump it on someone else!!!!! YOU HAVE A CHILDREN....LOOK AFTER IT YOURSELF! If you don't want to do that then don't moan! If you can't afford to look after it then don't get pregnant!

Do you have children yet? I assume that you will be giving up teaching as soon as you have children. Otherwise you are being an outright hyprocite.

I am sure that the OP spends time with her child. She wants to do fun activites that her family enjoys rather than some crap diary. Who can blame her!

ThisIsMummyPig Sun 11-Nov-12 23:15:31

Ignoring Tup's ignorant outburst

Can your nanny not fill in the sheets? (and if necessary make up something about what you did at the weekend?)

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 11-Nov-12 23:28:51

Tups, are you really a teacher? If so I certainly would not want you anywhere near my girls, spouting that 1950's nonsense! Wise up.

HSMM Mon 12-Nov-12 21:31:51

It's all about partnership working (Ofsted love it). Some settings will use the information you send in. Some parents will not send anything in and some will send essays. Just do what you feel comfortable with and you will be supporting your nursery and your child.

notcitrus Tue 13-Nov-12 04:14:47

LCarbury thing is, nursery really did intend the 'homework' to be simply a communication tool so we were aware of what he was up to there, and to enable him to have the opportunity to do more. It's in no way expected that it gets done regularly. (shutting up the odd parent who wanted homework was just a side effect!)
His nursery is small and friendly but terrible at putting anything in writing, so I'm always asking them about stuff. Usually 'Ds says... what's the truth??'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now