Drum kit, electric or not?

(9 Posts)
AWimbaWay Sun 11-Nov-12 21:04:00

Dd1, aged 7 has been having drum lessons for a few months, we've been putting off buying a kit until we got a feel for whether she was likely to stick with it. She's still really keen and has asked for a (second hand) drum kit for Christmas, the poor girl s currently using my youngest's wooden high chair to practice on (foot rest bass, seat snare, back high hat blush). Thing is we just can't decide whether to go the electric route or not. I've heard electric can be trickier and not sound as good but we live in an end terrace and need to consider the neighbours. Also wondering if full size would be too big, she's quite small.

Any advice or opinions much appreciated.

AWimbaWay Sun 11-Nov-12 22:11:40

a quick bump before bed smile.

AWimbaWay Mon 12-Nov-12 09:15:37

Looks like mnetters aren't so much into drumming then.

Nyx Mon 12-Nov-12 10:21:51

I don't drum, but my friend has an electric set. They are fab!! Sound great (to me, anyway), and you can turn down the volume/wear headphones. If you are at all worried about neighbours, I think there's no question that an electric set would be better.

Well done your DD! I'm jealous - have always fancied being able to drum grin

AWimbaWay Mon 12-Nov-12 12:34:14

Thanks Nyx, think electric's the route we'll be taking. She seems quite a natural, to tell the truth I did try and persuade her towards a slightly quieter, smaller instrument but she was determined!

Everlong Wed 14-Nov-12 10:41:44

Hi OP.

Big drumming family here smile ds 13 has been drumming since he was 6 and started off on a electric kit. I'd say start of with one for now and if she likes it and keeps at it change to an acoustic later.

We got ds an acoustic when he was about 9 I think. We upgraded again last Christmas. It's very loud but sounds fabulous.

Youngest ds ( 6 ) is having an electric for Christmas this year smile

DS who is 7 has had an acoustic one for a couple if years, we didn't go down electric route as thought he may get bored if it and wasn't going to spend so much for a passing fad. He has kept up with it though and although drum kit is 2 floors away is bloody noisy so if you can afford it I'd got for an electric set and headphones.

AWimbaWay Wed 14-Nov-12 13:22:39

Oooh, more replies, thank you. Currently watching an electric set on ebay. The thing that worried me about an acoustic kit was Dd1 is the eldest of three and I really can't see the neighbours, or myself for that matter enjoying listening to a 5 and 2 year old trying it out every time I turned my back. Great to hear you both have dcs who have stuck with it too!

Everlong Wed 14-Nov-12 13:50:43

I agree, I think the acoustic would drive you potty ( and your neighbours ) especially like you say with younger dc bashing in it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now