Why are women less into music than men?

(26 Posts)
Whirliwig72 Wed 05-Sep-12 22:18:26

Massive generalisation I know - and I'm hoping to stand corrected but its struck me recently that I know very few women in RL who are as into music as I am. For me my record collection is one if my most precious things after my family and I actually realise I get a bit depressed if I spend more than a day or so without firing up iTunes. But I never meet women like me - friends will confess to likening music at which point my heart leaps only to be dashed when they admit that the last album they bought was a George Michael
'best of' in the 90's. DH however is always swapping music with mates at work and is an inspiration in tracking down new and exciting stuff. Surely being a music geek is not predominately a male preserve is it??

CeilidhHayley Sat 10-Nov-12 07:52:30

I'm another music obsessive who happens to be female, & i've often wondered the same thing.

I think as a general rule there is some truth to it. By pure co-incidence, i'm also bisexual & with men, i've always found music the key to really connecting with a man i fancy the pants off (think High Fidelity). I've tried this approach with women i'm interested in & generally hit a bit of a wall when they reel off a list of 'stuff to dance to' on a night out. Obviously this rule wouldn't apply to anyone on this thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now