This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Take part in a short survey about Bacterial Vaginosis and you could win a £200 John Lewis voucher

(55 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Oct-12 10:09:23

We've been asked by Balance Activ, the providers of over the counter treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis (BV), to find find out how aware or not Mumsnetters are of BV.

This survey is open to all UK Mumsnetters.

Please click here to take part in the survey.

Everyone who adds their details at the end of the survey will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

tutu100 Tue 23-Oct-12 20:05:22

Done it, I would also have been interested in further reading about the increased risks BV can cause. I have heard of BV and it's symptoms, but have never been heard before about it increasing any risks i.e with regards to pregnancy and certainly not HIV.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 23-Oct-12 20:21:52

Done but I haven't filled in my details to get a sample.

I seriously disagree with free samples of medical products but that's another thread entirely.

I've also made it clear I much prefer any treatments I use for anything serious to be prescribed by a doctor.

I aint messin with my ph balance for no one!

Elfontheedge Tue 23-Oct-12 20:24:51

Done

Bicnod Tue 23-Oct-12 20:28:14

Done

poppy1973 Tue 23-Oct-12 20:36:26

done

EwanHoozami Tue 23-Oct-12 20:49:02

Am I being a daftie? Q6 doesn't make much sense to me.

Most of the answer options state "I'd only..." but respondents are encouraged to tick all that apply.

Maybe it's just my tired eyes confused

done anyway grin

phantomhairpuller Tue 23-Oct-12 21:26:31

Done smile

CaptainKirksNipples Tue 23-Oct-12 21:33:45

Done.

Meglet Tue 23-Oct-12 21:39:31

done.

VirtuallyHere Tue 23-Oct-12 22:12:06

Well you learn something every day. I'd never heard of it and it sounds quite difficult to distinguish from something that would just clear up naturally anyway. I'm not convinced about the sample offer either.

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Tue 23-Oct-12 22:59:27

Done. Oddly, despite being diagnosed witht his twice in my life, I know very little about it. So I'm all for a campaign to raise awareness, but not so sure about over the counter drugs.

SleeveOfWizard Tue 23-Oct-12 23:51:11

Done

tara277 Tue 23-Oct-12 23:57:22

Done

Done

maebyfunke Wed 24-Oct-12 08:04:19

I've had BV once. Just after I had my coil fitted I noticed a fishy smell, the smell is like no other! GP took a swab and prescribed me antibiotics, he had no doubt it was BV.

If I ever have BV again I will get antibiotics and not over the counter remedies. Like when I have cystitis I also get antibiotics as I feel over the counter remidiess just prolong my agony.

TiAAAAARGHo Wed 24-Oct-12 09:02:31

Done. I had BV once (diagnosed at a GUM clinic). Got some antibiotics and it vanished. Not sure I'd be wanting to self-medicate.

NerdAmigo Wed 24-Oct-12 10:41:39

Another product and marketing campaign to make money from making women insecure.

BoerWarKids Wed 24-Oct-12 10:57:25

I've just entered (didn't fill in address for sample. For same reasons as PPs, I also don't like giving my address out!)

MNHQ Can you confirm I've entered? I'm not sure whether it sent. I don't want to hit send twice and be disqualified. Thank you.

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Oct-12 13:55:57

BoerWarKids you have completed the survey, thank you.

BoerWarKids Wed 24-Oct-12 15:21:16

Thanks, Katie smile

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Oct-12 16:24:28

Hi all, Balance Activ have asked for this comment to be posted:

"Thank you for your valuable feedback. We wanted to respond to the points raised and address concerns.

We have undertaken this survey to learn more about women's understanding of BV, as despite the fact it is the most common vaginal infection, many women have not heard of BV and often misdiagnose it. It's our aim to provide women with the key facts about BV to help them make informed choices. Your comments and insight will help us achieve this.

BV is caused by a change in the normal pH and bacterial balance in the vagina. pH changes can be a result of a number of things, including your monthly cycle, sex and douching. It's this imbalance that results in the symptoms of BV which, as some of you have expressed, often includes a strong, fishy odour.

Balance Activ is a Lactic Acid gel that is clinically proven to treat and prevent the symptoms. It is drug and preservative free and works by restoring the normal pH in the vagina. It is available on prescription and any women with concerns should talk to their healthcare professional for advice. It is also available over the counter for women experiencing reoccurring symptoms.

Some of you have asked for more information on the link to serious health implications of untreated BV. You can find out more on the NHS website here.
We have offered a sample as part of this survey for anyone experiencing symptoms and wishing to try a recognised alternative to antibiotics. All those who will be sent a sample will also be sent information on when the product can be used, information on BV and where they can go to find out more."

Bacterialvaginosis Wed 24-Oct-12 18:21:34

It only gave options for GP or pharmacist to diagnose, but bet I'm not the only one to have been diagnosed at a GUM/STI clinic, or by a consultant.

TheTempest Thu 25-Oct-12 12:23:58

Done. I think!

Tweet2tweet Thu 25-Oct-12 14:38:15

Done

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 29-Oct-12 10:30:34

Thanks to everyone who completed the survey.

The winner of the prize draw is...AwesomeWellies

I'll PM you to get your details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now