This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: UK MNers: Please take a survey about school uniform: you could win a £250 Sainsbury's voucher

(50 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Jun-12 14:44:20

We've been asked by Sainsbury's to find out all about the back to school uniform buying experiences you have.

The survey is open to all MNers who have at least one child of school age who wears school uniform.

Add your details at the end and you will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky winner will get a £250 Sainsbury's voucher.

Here's the link to the survey

Many thanks
MNHQ

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Jun-12 14:33:52

Thanks for the responses mistlethrush has been selected as the winner of the £250 Sainsbury's voucher. Well done.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Tue 19-Jun-12 20:34:41

Agree they need a comment box, if they really ARE interested in what us MNers say, and not just stealth advertising for their uniforms <cynical, moi?>

Firstly, MN, up here in Scottyland, our academic year starts in August, not September. A minor quibble, but since the pedantic bar has been set high on this "done" thread, I thought I might as well join in.

Agree it wasn't clear if shoes were to be included in costs, I did it as not.
Also should have an option for buying from the school: i buy DS' (primary) polo shirts and sweatshirts from the school with the logo on, trousers and other bits are from supermarkets.

And yes, it would be useful to have a wider choice in shops all year round, not just back to school time. Kids grow, trousers get ripped, etc etc. I also whole heartedly agree with the poster who made the point about having jumpers etc in a variety of colours for all the schools in the area, not just two colours! Saying that, I actually bought DS some trousers from last Aug and they have lasted well, better than any others. They were the 2 for £4 bargain ones as well.

crazynanna Tue 19-Jun-12 17:23:50

<waves to juggling>

JugglingWithTangentialOranges Tue 19-Jun-12 16:07:20

I just thought this thread can act a bit as their "comment box" since they don't have another one < waves to crazynanna >

crazynanna Tue 19-Jun-12 15:28:17

Do we have to write "Done" on here when we have completed it?

If we do...then 'Done' grin

exexpat Tue 19-Jun-12 14:06:27

Agree they need a comment box. The survey seems to assume you buy in a shop - some of my DC's uniform (blazers, sports kit) is only available through a specific online supplier. Also as DD is primary-school age but secondary-school size (age 9, yr 4, but height of an average 12-13 year old) it is very difficult to find things like summer dresses for her in shops, so I have to track down larger sizes online. I also buy second-hand from the school when possible.

BackforGood Mon 18-Jun-12 16:10:04

Am I allowed to do it again, as if one of my DC were just starting Yr7 ? As those years are a whole different ball game. I filled in for an "ordinary" year.

amck5700 Mon 18-Jun-12 13:14:51

interesting this is done by sainsburys - i tried their uniforms one year and they were a pile of crap - total false economy. If I buy from Next then the trousers last all year, they don't fade or anything. Their sizes are a nightmare though and tend to be mislabelled or wrongly packed so I end up having to order a few different sizes/styles to make sure I get some that fit.

And as for gym shoes that are black inside too - what the hell are they thinking!!!!

Only ever buy gym shoes from clarkes too, as again, they last the whole year rather than needing to be replaced and that has been my experience over the last 7 years.

OddBoots Mon 18-Jun-12 08:46:25

Done, I didn't include shoes either and I'm another with a tall skinny nearly-teen (50 days to go!)

Done smile

Done.

I assumed the amount spent didn't include shoes as well. If it was supposed to then I would add another £200+ tbh.

Done smile

Jux Sun 17-Jun-12 16:18:23

Which is a great post, as it starts with 'doe'. blushgrin

Jux Sun 17-Jun-12 16:17:36

Doe, and a small chuckle at unum's need to know how we deal with our monthly fiancés! <small pedant in training>

JugglingWithTangentialOranges Sun 17-Jun-12 13:06:29

Done. I hope it might encourage them to stock some uniform all year round and not just in "back to school" month, as annoying when can't get hold of things you need at other times.

I was shock how long they seemed to think I might spend choosing and looking after school uniform for my DCs - it's not a big deal to us ! (Also, no, I don't take them with me generally !)

Also some years are different to others eg. starting secondary. And was I meant to include coats & shoes. What about games kit/ trainers ? Weird not to ask where I usually buy it, I agree !

gazzalw Sun 17-Jun-12 12:44:13

The great uniform issue for us is that in a state primary school the uniforms are purposefully relatively cheap...mainly generic pieces with the odd logo'd bit that is significantly more costly. So think we've been lulled into a false sense of security.

Now we are looking at secondary school uniform and the bill will be at least £300+ including shoes, indoor PE trainers and footie boots hmm. And DS is still pretty small for his age so he has most of his growth spurt to come so no doubt will suddenly grow out of all his uniform in the next year or so...And the school has a different blazer for the upper school boys so that will be an obligatory extra purchase three years down the line too!

jubilucket Sun 17-Jun-12 10:34:30

Done, but if I win, the vouchers will be going on food etc, as they didn't have a box to ask about where you're allowed to buy uniform, and all but shirts, socks, shoes and trousers has to come from an official supplier for ours. And sainsbos shoes weren't up to scratch last time I looked.

SkipTheLightFanjango Sun 17-Jun-12 01:37:25

Done..could do with the vouchers..why do I seem to have 2 children who grow too fast and 2 that don't but wear out everything?grin

Merrylegs Sun 17-Jun-12 01:26:47

yy - I tried Next at Xmas. Was looking for teen boy chinos. All sold out. Ended up buying girls size 6 at Republic. Is an untapped market, I tells you.

CointreauVersial Sun 17-Jun-12 01:09:33

Merrylegs - try the Next catalogue/online - I think they go up to 15 or 16.

I'm just wondering who the jeff spends 24 hours a week washing/mending uniform......

ProdigalMNer Sat 16-Jun-12 23:50:43

Done smile. Feel like I've been buying uniforms for half a century hmm
<counts on fingers to check age>

lou33 Sat 16-Jun-12 23:19:58

done

JustFabulous Sat 16-Jun-12 22:09:46

I thought that too MrsS3. It doesn't really tell them much if they don't know where the uniform is bought from.

MrsS3 Sat 16-Jun-12 21:39:38

am a bit hmm and confused that they didn't have a question about where we buy our dcs uniform (saves me ticking about ten boxes, but still grin )
Unless it's obvious we all buy our stuff at Sainsbo's wink

FoofyShmooffer Sat 16-Jun-12 19:29:20

Done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now