Please note: This topic is for discussions about the surveys Mumsnet is running. It's not the place for promoting other surveys or market-research requests. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a (largish-scale) survey about your product or business on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Do you travel by train with a child in a buggy? Take part in a short survey and win £200 of high street vouchers

(79 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 08-Feb-12 16:17:47

We've been asked to find out what you think about travelling by train with a child/children in a buggy/pushchair. Please take a few minutes to share your views and experiences by filling in the survey below. 

The survey is open to all UK Mumsnetters who have travelled by train with at least one child who uses a buggy/pushchair in the past four months. 

If you would like to take part in the survey, please click here.

Everyone who takes part will be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win £200 of high street vouchers.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

dappply Mon 13-Feb-12 08:11:18

I've travelled with my son many times to visit family from when he was a baby to when he was a toddler. It's extremely hit and miss i find. It's impossible to phone and book a space for a buggy in advance ( even though it's possible to do this with a bicycle/ wheelchair) so it's Russian roulette as to the kind of train you get and the kind of staff you encounter.

Generally when I'm travelling with DS it have a phil and teds double with the back seat carrying luggage (suitcase and travel cot), so i prefer not to have to fold my buggy, as that's a lot of hard work whilst carrying a child.

So I play Russian roulette as to whether the wheelchair space is available on GNER, sit in the vestibules on virgin and hope for a sympathetic conductor who doesn't insist on me dismantling. And on central trains try and charm my way into the luggage carriages and sit on the floor next to the buggy. Obviously I make sure it's not impossible to fold the buggy up, but I try hard not to as it's so difficult to do so.

It would make such a difference if all trains had a few fold up seats and tables that were available to book in advance for buggy use. It's hard enough travelling with a baby, just being allowed to book a space and helping you need it would be so brilliant.

petaluma Mon 13-Feb-12 15:02:36

The gap between the train and the platforms on many south west London trains is so treacherous that I wont travel on my own with my two dcs as they are both under 3 and I need the double buggy.

I don't know how other people do it, but I'm certainly not risking it. In addition, how the hell would I get up the stairs? I don't want to have to rely on the good nature of other people to assist.

Kveta Wed 15-Feb-12 09:51:04

just wanted to add a short note, after taking DS (2.4) in to London on a Greater Anglia train yesterday (used to be NX East Anglia!). Brilliant service, can't fault it really. Ticket seller was great, chatting to DS, and gave him a blank ticket to play with, which DS thought was the best toy ever. Lifts to either platform were working (but slow!). Space for pushchairs (Maclaren Triumph) to go down the aisle, and then storage for it at the end of the carriage. Much nicer trains than NXEA had! Very clean too! Staff were all helpful at both ends of the journey, and DS had a whale of a time. Very positive experience.

We came back at the tail end of rush hour though, and it was certainly busier, and I wouldn't want to fight the crowds on my own with a Buggy (we met DH to come home!). It was on the old style of train too, so less space. However, DS seemed to enjoy it, and we managed to fold down the pushchair and hide it under the seat, and then get it back out just as we arrived to our home station.

KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Feb-12 15:23:42

Thank you to everyone who completed the survey. We have done the prize draw and the winner is......
Gauchita
Congratulations! You have won £200 of high street vouchers. I'll PM you to get your details.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now