Please note: This topic is for discussions about the surveys Mumsnet is running. It's not the place for promoting other surveys or market-research requests. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a (largish-scale) survey about your product or business on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED......Let's talk about sex (education) - you could win a £50 Amazon voucher - open to all UK MNers with at least one child

(45 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-Nov-11 20:37:19

Let's talk about sex (education, that is).

The team in Mumsnet Towers want to find out your views about sex education in schools. This is because the government is currently conducting a review into the delivery of Personal, Social, Health and Economics (PSHE) Education in England, which is due to close at the end of November. NB: England, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland all have their own policies but they are all very similar.

The survey is open to all UK Mumsnetters with at least one child.

Please take a few minutes to complete the survey - add your details at the end and you will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky winner will get £50 of Amazon vouchers.

Here's the link again

Thanks
MNHQ

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Nov-11 12:17:07

Hello

The survey results are now in, and make pretty interesting reading.

Thanks to everyone who took part.

MNHQ x

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 23-Nov-11 13:01:30

Am pleased to say the winner of the £50 Amazon voucher is DeeScent - well done!
thanks to all, MNHQ

shakira123 Wed 23-Nov-11 12:46:26

apparently survey is closed - but for what it's worth i agree with CarefullyAirbrushedPotato - parents need to be informed of what where, when and why.

Parents are at the moment pretty much ignored if they have concerns of the depth of the sex ed taught in their childs primary school. There needs to be more involvement of parents and less dictating by schools.

AmberLeaf Tue 22-Nov-11 14:07:30

Done.

nettie Tue 22-Nov-11 14:03:55

Just filled in survey, for future reference when designing surveys, some people have children in school and children that are home educated, please don't make me choose which box to tick it's like having to choose one child over the other grin.

Done.
We were notified when there was to be a sex education lesson at primary.
When I received the letter about the forthcoming sex ed lesson I asked to see the material beforehand and discussed it with the teacher.
Apparently I was the only parent ever to have done this.

CarefullyAirbrushedPotato Tue 22-Nov-11 11:40:38

done

"I think parents need to know exactly what their children will be taught, how and when, so we can support our children."
I'd also like to think that we could have an input in the approach taken- who knows our children better?

milk Tue 22-Nov-11 08:37:41

Done smile

gorionine Tue 22-Nov-11 07:25:25

Thanks AnnMumsnet, I have just re-done it!smile

lifeisgood21 Tue 22-Nov-11 00:08:41

Both my kids have books on growing up/sex - age appropriate one's. Both have really enjoyed reading them and for the first few months had regular conversations about the area. I don't think schools cover this too well. My daughter is so open about this area - she even asked me at the dinner table on Christmas day (with a whole load of people there) at what age I had started my periods! It is nice they both seem freely able to talk about this area with me - I never could with my mum. My son has yet to learn though what are appropriate conversations to have with his mum!

Interesting survey. Don't think my answers completely gave my feelings tbh.

I think the problem of sex education is it seems to be so inflexible. I have a very emotionally immature 8 year old who would feel quite vulnerable discussing or hearing about sex infront of the rest of her year group. She has never asked where babies come from/how they get out etc etc. She is completely disinterested, why should it be forced on her before she is ready?

I am very open and honest when she does want information and she knows she can talk to me about anything. When she heard the song 'I kissed a girl and I liked it' on the radio she asked if it was a boy singing, I explained no it was a girl and it led to a discussion about homosexuality. No problem, information given when she wanted it and was interested.

I think parents need to know exactly what their children will be taught, how and when, so we can support our children.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Nov-11 10:23:55

gorionine - sorry can't see you in there....could you do it again? Sorry

gorionine Mon 21-Nov-11 06:43:00

I lost my connection just as I was finishing the survey. Is it possible to tell me if it got in or if I have to do it again?

I think the " from what age" questions should not have a limit on them (from 10 to 11) but just from 10 (or 4 or 6) as it should be a continuous thing not a "I told you when you were 10" thing IYSWIM.

Sanesometimes1 Sun 20-Nov-11 21:11:23

done also interested to see the results.

Gracie123 Sun 20-Nov-11 18:37:26

Done.

I wish sex ed could be left up to parents - a room with 30 or so of your peers is not the right place to learn about or discuss intimate issues - unfortunately it can't.
Too many parents wouldn't teach anything.
I do feel that children should have the opportunity to opt out in some way though. Maybe it should be a class you choose to take, rather than looking like a religious nut whose parents have pulled you out I you choose I say
a) I know the facts and I have no more questions; my time would be better spent on another area of the curriculum
b) I'd prefer to learn from a trusted friend/family member or
c) my faith choices mean this class is irrelevant to me
d) I'd prefer to take this class next year - I don't feel ready yet

LynnCSchreiber Sat 19-Nov-11 23:00:12

Interesting survey.

I think the question of consent would perhaps come under sexual bullying?

Would like teens to be taught about emotional and physical abuse - how to recognise it and what the 'red flags' are so that they avoid becoming involved with an abusive person.

wonderstuff Sat 19-Nov-11 22:43:32

I click the link and go to mumsnet.com?

HauntyMython Sat 19-Nov-11 19:58:03

Done.

As an aside, I'm all for sex ed - but I was NOT happy when my DSDs were in yr5 and in preparation for the lesson were given HW to "look up sex education on google" - thankfully their older brother was with them at the time, you can imagine the sites that came up angry

Tortington Sat 19-Nov-11 17:58:38

this completely misses out parents.

i really really really think that mumnet needs to investigate the parenting by stealth aspect through schools.

LilRedWG Sat 19-Nov-11 17:56:36

Done

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Sat 19-Nov-11 17:36:31

Done.
I try to be as open as i can at an age appropriate level with my dc.
Their primary school does teach sex and relationship education from pre-school level and have written it into their Curriculam for excellence (Scotland) and I attended a meeting that all parents were invited to on how they would be delivering this subject.
I was shocked at the number of parents in the playground complaining that their dc was too young for the subject yet never bothered to attend the meeting.

doughnutty Sat 19-Nov-11 14:18:47

Done.

Charbon Sat 19-Nov-11 13:33:40

Done, but why was there not a question about teaching students about what constitutes Consent? This is especially important.

lubeybooby Sat 19-Nov-11 13:16:48

Done

Blatherskite Sat 19-Nov-11 13:02:14

done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now