This topic is for Q&As arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in Site Stuff topic. If want to know about Q&A opportunities, please mail sales@mumsnet.com.

Q&A about puberty and menstruation with Lil-Lets expert Vicki Buffery - ANSWERS BACK

(37 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Nov-12 10:54:43

We're running a Q&A this week with Vicki Buffery about discussing puberty and menstruation with your pre-teen and teenagers. Vicki is the online Agony Aunt for Lil-ets and has been answering questions from pre-teen and teenage girls and threir parents teenage girls  on Lil-Lets 'Ask Vicki' section of their website. Vicki  is on hand this week to answer any questions you may have - from  how to explain changes in her body to choosing santitary protection. Send your question before midday on 3 December and we'll link to Vicki's answers on 12 December.

Lil-lets say:
"We are proud to be the only sanitary brand in the UK to offer products designed specifically for teens. With their younger and smaller bodies in mind, the range of towels, liners and tampons are shorter and narrower than the adult range to provide the perfect fit. To make things even easier,  we have brought all of this together in a 'Teen Starter Pack' which includes 2 lite tampons, 1 regular tampon, 2 regular applicator tampons, 1 teens liner pouch, 4 day teens towels, 2 night teens towels and 1 becoming a teens booklet for advise on puberty and using the products. Everything your daughter could need is in one, discreet little bag".

For more information please visit: http:/www.lil-lets.co.uk/en-GB/Parents

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Thu 13-Dec-12 18:37:58

Thanks to Vicki for your answers - the discussion has helped me feel better prepared, as has ordering some items from your website for DD.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Dec-12 17:42:27

Vicki's answers are now in and you can read the full Q&A here:

Q&A about starting periods with Lilets' Vicki Buffery

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 13-Dec-12 11:06:48

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast

Looking like it might be the 13th now ? smile

Sorry - there was a delay our end. The Q&A will be live later today and we'll link from this thread.

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Wed 12-Dec-12 23:35:28

Looking like it might be the 13th now ? smile

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Dec-12 16:58:12

The Q&A is now closed. We'll be sending up to 20 questions over to Vicki Buffery later today and link to her answers from this thread on 12 December.

JugglingWithPossibilities Fri 30-Nov-12 08:36:46

Hmm, DD at 13 seems a little sensitive at the suggestion of using deo - as I said she's quite a private person. Any discussion of sanpro when the time comes is going to have to be delicately handled smile

Notmyidea Fri 30-Nov-12 04:15:13

How can we, as mums, get them to appreciate the importance of personal hygiene;showering, frequent pad changes etc, ideally without nagging! Especially for the still-at-junior school starters who don't seem to have the vanity to care. (is it just mine?!)

troisenfants Thu 29-Nov-12 21:42:00

I always tried to use tampons when I was younger, but just never got the hang of them, finding it difficult and even painful to put them in and when I did eventually get them in, they always popped out as soon as I started to move around leading to potentially embarrassing situations! What advice (apart from the usual try to relax and don't tense up) would you give to mums on teaching their DD's how to insert a tampon and how to position them correctly?
I would like her to have the freedom I never had.

I probably just need to say that it is important to change tampons very regularly and leave it at that?

morethanpotatoprints Wed 28-Nov-12 22:02:53

Oh I know juggling.

Swimming would be so difficult and I used to dance as well. I longed to be able to use tampons like my friends.
I think common sense is the only thing a parent needs to use and maybe just a bit of caution in the first few times of use.
I think knowing the facts helps but what you say above seems right. Not too scary which I think older girls could cope with. I'm not sure about 9 yr olds. If dd starts this young I'm afraid towels will be her only option, lol.
I must stress though, my circumstances were unusual, in that started at 9, was heavy with lots of pain. Then bloody toxic shock. (No pun).

JugglingWithPossibilities Wed 28-Nov-12 21:53:25

Seems maybe I'll just tell DD that if she feels fluey or has a temp or otherwise feels ill when she is using a tampon to take it out, use a towel instead, and either go to walk in centre/ call NHS Direct/ see her doctor/ go to A & E (depending how bad she feels ?) Does that sound about right ?
I do think I might feel slightly different considering your experience and family history potatoprints - So, can see that's a really tricky dilemma you've got there.

But I wouldn't want DD to feel as fed up as I did using rubbish towels for several years before my friend told me about tampons. I think in those days (70's) tampons were only for grown-ups (like my Mum) I don't remember anyone else really explaining them to me - just my friend.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 28-Nov-12 21:43:45

LaBelle.

I don't think toxic shock is a subject that should be covered at school, it would scare them to death. I'm not telling dd till she's older and hoping she will be happy with towels if she starts young.
The whole subject scares me because thank God cases are rare, however, because of this I don't think many people are told or warned of the symptoms, I certainly wasn't.
I read that most doctors will never experience a case, so it is v. rare.
FWIW symptoms include high temperature, which was immediate in my case. Flu like symptoms, vomiting, the runs, etc.
I just think it wise for all parents to be aware of this and monitor the use of tampons in the early days. Not much is known about it but some research was done in the 1980's and easily found through google.
Please all have a look.

JugglingWithPossibilities Wed 28-Nov-12 21:39:16

That's interesting Wonderwoman - I was so pleased when a friend suggested I try tampons - made periods so much better. I hadn't really thought of people / DD not liking them. Just wondered how early she could try them - as others have mentioned.

FuckingWonderwoman Wed 28-Nov-12 21:26:58

How do I persuade DD1 that tampons are so much nicer to use than towels? She tried them on holiday last year (because it was either that or not go swimming) but as soon as she got out of the pool she rushed to get dressed and pull out the tampon. I have extolled the virtues of lil-lets, how you just whack it up with your finger, and no nasty scratchy applicator, and the joys of not having a chuff covered in goo, but she's just not interested.

Just collecting info for my sheduled talk to y5/6 girls in my class next week about 'feminine hygiene' - hadn't even thought about toxic shock. Never done this before and can't find any materials at school. Any tips/ideas/warnings gratefully received.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 28-Nov-12 18:50:58

Thank you Juggling.

I don't really want to frighten anyone but there is a risk albeit a small one. Its difficult though, when do you warn your dd or explain the risk.
I had 2 mothers (long story). My natural mum died very young from this but it was related to contraceptive and not tampons. I only found out a few years ago through members of her family, as we never met.
60 people are diagnosed with it each year, although it affects men as well as women. Of these 30 are related to tampons and 2 or 3 people unfortunately die each year. It is the young as in children and elderly most susceptable.

I recommend everybody google the facts, not as I say to frighten anyone but to make your dd aware, even if you wait until they are older. I also don't think the risk is publicised enough in the packs, always very small print, for obvious reasons.

JugglingWithPossibilities Wed 28-Nov-12 18:25:28

Oh how awful for you potatoprints sad

morethanpotatoprints Wed 28-Nov-12 18:01:47

I would like to know if 2 ranges could be brought out, one with mixed tampons and towels and others with just towels.
I was only 9 when I started and my first try with tampons at 14 resulted in hospitalisation for several weeks and diagnosis of toxic shock. I have had the talk with dd aged 8 already as she is changing shape, I don't want to have to tell her she could die if she used a tampon, just yet.
Also it would help others in the same position as I know although rare there are other sufferers and most likely heriditary.

Iamnotminterested Wed 28-Nov-12 14:33:33

DD won't wear any towels other than Lil-lets teen range grin, a customer for life, methinks.

OhWesternWind Wed 28-Nov-12 12:09:37

Can anyone recommend a book for my dd age ten? She's had all the younger children books, the hair in funny places etc but wants something more "teen"y and I'd really appreciate some help with this.

UrbanSpaceManBaby Wed 28-Nov-12 12:04:45

A 'naice' lady came to talk to just us girls at school. To this day I can't go in a public lavatory without thinking about the spread of germs from the applicator to the door handle from the previous incumbent. Do brusk, no nonsense ladies still have to deliver talks to giggling girls whilst the boys are shunted into the hall for a double period. (No pun intended)

yummumto3girls Tue 27-Nov-12 23:43:43

My DD is 12 and yet to start her periods. I have bought her the Teen Starter Pack, which I was very impressed with. Have spoken to her about the products and directed her to the teen section of your website which she found helpful. I'd like to ask for advice on how soon to encourage tampon use after starting periods and whether there are any issues with early use of tampons.

JugglingWithPossibilities Tue 27-Nov-12 15:03:26

Have just ordered the teen starter pack plus other supplementary bits from the website so am beginning to feel better prepared already !

Dancergirl Tue 27-Nov-12 13:56:53

I would like to know about gaps between periods when they first start. Dd is 11.5 and had her first period in the summer holidays, around mid-August. She hasn't had another one since. I seem to remember having a long gap between early periods myself, but is there any ways to tell when she might get her next one? It's like waiting all over again!

JugglingWithPossibilities Tue 27-Nov-12 07:29:48

Retrieves mildewed and cobwebbed manual "How to raise your child from birth to 20" from down the back of the sofa. Ahhhh ! so she did come with a manual - shame I mislaid it for a bit !!

< reads from ch.13 "individual differences will become more apparent during the teenage years" grin >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now