Please note: This topic is for Q&A discussions arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in our Site Stuff topic. If you'd like to explore Q&A opportunities, please do feel free to mail us at sales@mumsnet.com.

Q&A with author and illustrator Shirley Hughes - ANSWERS BACK

(92 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 22-Nov-12 08:12:08

We're delighted that Shirley Hughes is joining us to answer your questions. Shirley needs little introduction to mumsnetters who have enjoyed her books both as children and with their own children.

Shirley has illustrated more than 200 children's books and is one of the best-loved writers for children. She has won the Kate Greenaway Medal twice and has been awarded the OBE for her distinguished service to children's literature. In 2007, Dogger was voted the UK's favourite Kate Greenaway Medal-winning book of all time.

This year Shirley has turned her hand from picture books to fiction. Her debut novel, Hero on a Bicycle is based in Italy in 1944 and weaves a truly thrilling tale of daring and adventure: Florence is occupied by Nazi German forces. The Italian resistance movement has not given up hope, though - and neither have Paolo and his sister, Constanza. Both are desperate to fight the occupation, but what can two siblings do against a whole army with only a bicycle to help them?

Send your questions to Shirley before the end of 30 November and we'll link to her answers on 13 December. Shirley will be answering up to 20 questions and anyone who gets their question answered will win a copy of Hero on a Bicycle

See www.heroonabicycle.co.uk for for more information about the books, featuring videos, illustrations from Shirley's sketchbooks and maps.

CambridgeBlue Tue 11-Dec-12 09:18:52

Wow, Shirley Hughes answered my question! I'm so pleased! I have loved her books since forever - I did my final major project at art school on children's book illustration and she was one of the main artists I included. This has just made my morning!

Pendulum Tue 11-Dec-12 21:34:56

Thank you for your reply, Shirley. I'm pleased to know you are thinking about incorporating a working mother character into a future book, and it sounds as though you have some great material in your own family! It would be so refreshing to have a set up where the mother comes home from work in the evening and everyone says hello to each other and it's no big deal because that's the family's routine and they are comfortable with it.

One book that sticks in my mind is the Ahlbergs' 'Baby's Catalogue'. One of the featured families has a mother leaving the house in smart office dress while dad gets the children breakfast. At the end of the day she returns and nobody is remotely traumatised. I practically wore out the page in that book in my efforts to get my daughters to identify with that family!

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Wed 12-Dec-12 23:30:04

One of the most encouraging comments I got from someone when mine were little was that they were like characters from your stories !
Marking place too to catch up on it all tomorrow.
Love all your stories and pictures, Shirley ! Thank you for making them thanks

NatashaBee Thu 13-Dec-12 13:59:15

How did I miss this?! Lovely to read the answers from Shirley though.

<orders a new copy of 'Dogger' from Amazon>

JustGeorge Thu 13-Dec-12 14:06:36

May be to late for Ms Hughes - but just in case. I'm to be Father of the Bride shortly and would dearly love to give to Bride to Be,Chloe, a dedicated copy of Dogger to her on her Wedding Day. Needless to say Dogger was Chloe's best friend for so many years and whilst she is yet to join Mumsnet when she does Dogger will be an absolute necessity. IS ther any way I can get a copy, new, to Ms Hughes for such a dedication. It would be a truly lovely present. Many Thanks

gazzalw Thu 13-Dec-12 14:16:57

JustGeorge you might be better off PMing RachelMumsnet as she seems to deal with the Q&A sessions

HappyTurquoise Thu 13-Dec-12 14:25:13

Thank you so much Shirley Hughes and Mumsnet, for this wonderful webchat, it is so good to hear from such an accomplished author and illustrator/artist.

Thank you for answering my question, I have bought my DD 'A Life Drawing' for Christmas, and a cut price easel and art set. She won a school art prize this week, too! It will be great to complement these with Hero On A Bicycle and tips on writing!

JustGeorge Thu 13-Dec-12 15:35:34

Hi gazzalw - now I'm struggling how do you "PMing Rachel mumsnet" I'm new here and what do I know - but Many Thanks for the pointer.

Melmagpie Thu 13-Dec-12 15:55:34

only just spotted my reply. thanks so much to Shirley - fascinating to hear about your process. And can't wait to read the new book.

Clawdy Thu 13-Dec-12 17:01:53

Really thrilled to have question answered. Can't wait to read Hero on a Bicycle!

gazzalw Thu 13-Dec-12 17:15:15

JustGeorge (welcome), just go to your Inbox (at the top of the page next to Log In or Log Out) and type RachelMumsnet into the recipient box and ask away...Good luck with your request by the way - sounds like a fab wedding pressie idea for your daughter if Shirley Hughes will agree!

I missed the webchat, and I think I'm too old for all the titles mentioned, but Shirley Hughes was part of my childhood too - I have a book called Something to Do which had lots of little games & activities in it, making a mouse out of a handkerchief, that sort of thing, all illustrated with Shirley's lovley drawings. I always found inspiration in it when I was ill in bed or on a rainy Sunday afternoon (we didn't have a telly!). My children enjoyed it too when they were small.

bryonywhisker Fri 14-Dec-12 13:16:28

I am so excited! We genuinely adore her work, 7 yo ds loves to read Alfie storie sto his ds at bedtime.

HappyTurquoise Sun 16-Dec-12 21:26:51

Oh Miranda you just transported me right back to my childhood, as I had a copy of Something To Do as well, and it became dog eared from all the times I leafed through it searching for the right project. I'd forgotten that Shirley had illustrated that.

NorksAreTinselly Sat 22-Dec-12 18:34:28

Thrilled to report book has arrived, and been instantly snaffled by DD (should have wrapped it up!)

Thank you MNHQ and even more huge thanks to Shirley Hughes
thanks

gazzalw Sat 22-Dec-12 19:24:37

Yes ours arrived this morning too. Thank you Shirley Hughes and Mumsnet.

Merry Christmas!

CambridgeBlue Sat 22-Dec-12 23:09:30

Received my book this morning, very pleased as I never win anything and this I particularly special as I am such a big Shirley Hughes fan. Thanks Shirley and MNHQ, Merry Christmas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now