This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

PruHealth Vitality Experience - month 1 feedback thread with WEEKLY prizes for non participants.....

(401 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-14 09:58:48

You may recall we have recruited 10 willing volunteers to take part in the Mumsnet PruHealth Vitality Experience - this is running until mid March. This is the feedback thread for the participants to share their feedback with you all.

As PruHealth are so very keen for as many MNers as possible to experience the benefits offered by their Vitality programme each week there will be an incentive (see below for chance to win a £50 Nectar card) offered to non participants to read how the volunteers are getting on and to share your own tips, experiences and opinions. Bookmark this thread and keep an eye out for updates across the next few weeks....

PruHealth say "We believe the more you look after yourself, the healthier you feel. That's why we offer our customers Vitality when they buy our health insurance. Vitality is the world's largest incentive-based wellness programme and can make getting and staying healthy both easier and cheaper, but also reward you for all of your hard work!"

The Vitality Experience kicked off in style at PruHealth HQ in London on Friday 17th January. Here participants were given everything they need for the experience - including a Vitality Healthcheck, advice on healthy eating from a qualified nutritionist and an exercise plan designed by a personal trainer.

Each week participants will be presented with a new Vitality benefit - from earning additional Nectar points when you buy healthy foods at Sainsbury's, taking advantage of discounts at Virgin Active or treating the family to a trip to the cinema! Vitality aims to make healthy living fun, easy and rewarding.

Here's the full schedule of the Vitality Experience:

Week 1 - Get Gyming - Kick start your January resolutions with a free 2-month pass to a Virgin Active gym and £50 to spend on new gym gear at Sweatshop.
Week 2 - 5-a-Day - Get £50 worth of Nectar points to spend on healthy food choices at Sainsbury's.
Week 3 - Step It Up - Get motivated to increase your daily step count with your new FitBug pedometer.
Week 4 - Family Treat - Take the family out on a trip to the cinema with £40 worth of vouchers to either Cineworld or Vue cinemas.
Week 5 - Half-Term & Half-Time - Check in with your personal trainer for a free 1hr session to boost your gym routine.
Week 6 - Discounts Dispensed - Get £25 worth of vouchers to test drive our up to 50% cashback at Lloyds Pharmacy benefit.
Week 7 - Choose Your Reward - Take your pick between discounts to Merlin attractions, National Trust parks or travel with Eurostar, Mark Warner or Mr & Mrs Smith getaways.
Week 8 - Wrap Up - Finish the Vitality Experience with a day of pampering at Champney's spa.

Week 1 - Get Gyming
Vitality Experience Participants: please share on this thread:
How you found the welcome day - what did you enjoy, what worried you, how did you find meeting other MNers? Why did you want to take part? Pick three words to sum up the day.

Please share how you're getting on with the gym: have you been before? What did your family think / say? What did you buy with your Sweatshop voucher? How did you feel the next day? Do you think it's given you the push to start going regularly? How do you fit it into your schedule?

Non Participants - gyms and you - discuss!
Now that we're in the middle of January, how are your resolutions for a fitter 2014? Share your stories and thoughts about gyming and you and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card (prize draw Monday 27th at 9am) NOW CLOSED

Week 2: - is all about healthy food choices (w/c 27-1). PruHealth with Vitality members can earn five times the amount of Nectar points they normally would by buying certain foods. As well they earn 1 Vitality point for each £2 is spent on healthy foods once they have linked their nectar card to their account.

Vitality Experience Participants - please share on this thread: At the welcome day you had a presentation from Sally Nash, the nutritionist with EnergiseYou -
~ What would you say was the key message you took away from her presentation and what did you learn?
~ What healthy foods have found their way into your trolley since then and what are you planning to buy this week with your Nectar card?
~ How's the rest of the programme going - we'd love to hear what you've done!

Non Participants - what's your best tip for including your 5-a-day in family meals? NOW CLOSED
~ Share your best tips for getting the 5-a-day into family meals or share a fruit or veg packed recipe on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card NOW CLOSED

Week 3
The third week is about increasing the number of steps you take every day and finding ways to fit 'steps' around your lifestyle. PruHealth with Vitality members can earn points for the number of steps they take each day. Start earning once you've taken over 7,000 a day - the more steps, the more points.

Vitality Experience Participants: please share on this thread:

~ How are you getting on with your new FitBug pedometer?
~ How many steps are you taking each day? Does this surprise you? Disappoint you?
~ What tips can you share for increasing your steps per day.

Non Participants - what's your best tip for increasing the steps you take each day? Add your comment below to be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card! Share your top tips for making it easy to get more steps into your daily life on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card (prize draw Monday 10th Feb at 9am). NOW CLOSED

Week 4
Family Treat Week
PruHealth say "The very heart of Vitality is focussed on wellness and making healthy choices cheaper, easier and well-rewarding for our members. The weekly cinema ticket incentive is one of our most popular as it gives members the opportunity to treat themselves to a night at the cinema as a reward for their efforts to lead a healthier lifestyle. Small changes, big rewards."

Participants please share what film you are seeing or have seen with your Cineworld/ Vue voucher and what treats you like to enjoy generally with your family. How do you think the treat and reward element of the PruHealth with Vitality plan works?

Non participants...with half term coming up what treats do you have in store for your family? What are your families fav films?
~ Add your comment and you will be entered into a prize draw where one person will win a £50 preloaded Nectar card. Prize draw Monday 17 Feb at 9am. NOW CLOSED

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Glitterfairys Mon 10-Feb-14 11:26:22

Non- participant

To increase steps throughout the day I try and walk to school instead of just jumping in the car . That twenty minute walk there and back in the fresh air makes me feel better and it's a lot easier than trying to find a parking space smile

Stripytop Mon 10-Feb-14 11:29:34

Well fitbug was a disappointment last night. Uploaded all my lovely steps only for none of them to register! For the whole week! Grrrrr! If I was a proper vitality member I'd be so frustrated at that.

Also, just had my first video blog experience. Hilarious! Either my head is too big or my arms are too short. All I can fit into the little filming square (only half the screen - am I doing it wrong?) is my face, and nothing else. And that's with the camera at arms length. I'm thinking we should have also been issued with some kind of tripod. Lighting and make up wouldn't have gone amiss either.

Any tips anyone??

smallinthesmoke Mon 10-Feb-14 12:55:35

My main tip for photos/ video is don't get the sales assistant in Sweatshop to take lovely shots of you on the treadmill from behind.
The horror.

CointreauVersial Mon 10-Feb-14 13:10:20

Oh, my videos were just me talking to camera, not exercising, or anything. Although I did get DD1 to film me perspiring heavily glowing gently just after I got back from a run.

When I did the "talking to camera" I propped the camera on the table in front of me (on a couple of books), so didn't hold it the whole time.

Note to self....must send them in....

Non Participants - what's your best tip for increasing the steps you take each day?

I would love to count how many steps I take at home - I am constantly chasing a 3 year old and a 1 year old, up and down the stairs all day with washing, toys, clutter. And we go for lots of walks - to jump in muddy puddles and to try find some spring flowers, I feel like I never sit still!

Willemdefoeismine Tue 11-Feb-14 07:48:08

I managed 23,000 steps including my trip to the gym! But the balls of my feet are suffering today - yikes...

WalkingThePlank Tue 11-Feb-14 11:00:30

Just done some videos. I think I had been a bit scared of using the equipment. I have managed to set the time/date wrong. Not sure how to get to settings.

Isn't is weird seeing yourself on video. I remind myself of someone, but not me! Is there an address to send them to or do we send to Ann?

Audreyblue Tue 11-Feb-14 11:13:28

Sorry for disappearing - it was my birthday yesterday and got a bit sidetracked (like my fellow Aquarian Kew). I did indulge on crepes with strawberries and cream. But (!) I did go to the gym on my birthday and I've never done that before! But I guess the hour's slog was all but cancelled out with all the sweet treats and wine...

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Feb-14 13:21:53

Congrats to IWasThere4Aug12 who wins the £50 pre-loaded Nectar card for week 3.

Week four week is all about a well deserved treat after all the healthy eating and exercise.

Week 4
Family Treat - Take the family out on a trip to the cinema with £40 worth of vouchers to either Cineworld or Vue cinemas.
PruHealth say "The very heart of Vitality is focussed on wellness and making healthy choices cheaper, easier and well-rewarding for our members. The weekly cinema ticket incentive is one of our most popular as it gives members the opportunity to treat themselves to a night at the cinema as a reward for their efforts to lead a healthier lifestyle. Small changes, big rewards."

Participants please share what film you are seeing or have seen with your Cineworld/ Vue voucher and what treats you like to enjoy generally with your family. How do you think the treat and reward element of the PruHealth with Vitality plan works?

Non participants...with half term coming up what treats do you have in store for your family? What are your families fav films?
~ Add your comment and you will be entered into a prize draw where one person will win a £50 preloaded Nectar card. Prize draw Monday 17 Feb at 9am.

CointreauVersial Tue 11-Feb-14 13:31:36

Vids need to be sent to Corinne. They are BIG, so I used WeTransfer.com.

Another Aquarian here! Tis my 40-ahem-ahem-th birthday on Monday. smile

CointreauVersial Tue 11-Feb-14 13:37:49

And meant to say Happy Birthday, Audreyblue!

Wow three Aquarians (at least) out of 10 - what does that say about Aquarians or just coincidence??? Happy Birthday Audreyblue and CointreauVersial! cake and wine or maybe not....???

Willemdefoeismine Tue 11-Feb-14 17:49:31

Ha to tempting with wine and cake.....! Disgraceful - only joking!

Aren't Aquarians supposed to be enlightened and open-minded, so I guess they would be more receptive to a new challenge???

I can see the decision-making about the cinema might be easier said than done.....I fancy The Book Thief, DH and DD fancy Mr Peabody and Sherman and DS doesn't know...I'm pretty sure it's not in the spirit of the Family Cinema trip to all end up going to different screenings....

sharond101 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:37:28

Half term treats we have instore are a family meal out and a trip to a mini zoo or softplay if the rain/snow appears. Our favourite family at the moment is The Jungle Book however we cannot hear anything that is happening for DS shouting and pointing out the names of all the animals.

Bagtrainlady Tue 11-Feb-14 23:05:06

Happy Birthday Audrey & Cointreau! Good timing with 'treat' week! Hope you had/have lovely days.

I am Very excited - cinema vouchers have arrived & had a call from the personal trainer who will be working with me next week! Lovely to come home to after a crappy day at work.

Much debate in our household also about what to see. Think we are going to see The Lego Movie as a family and then dd & I might go to see Mr Peabody & Sherman as I don't know if ds would sit through two cinema visits. So that is some half-term treats sorted.

CrewElla Wed 12-Feb-14 06:09:42

Non-participant - our sons aren't school age yet but they do love films! The family favourite at the moment is Despicable Me. We're planning on getting a copy of Jungle Book because we think the older DS will love it.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Wed 12-Feb-14 06:18:40

Non-participant

In half term we're going to the local adventure park for a day. We haven't been before (well, I have, but it was almost 25 years ago). DH will be working, so my dad will be coming with us. I haven't told DD1 yet, do its going to be a surprise.

Our favourite family film is the lion king.

lorka Wed 12-Feb-14 09:34:35

Non - tester. We are going to see the Lego Movie this half term. Looks great!!

SweetPeaPods Wed 12-Feb-14 09:40:40

Non tester- we have plans to go to an animal farm to hopefully see some lambs and chicks etc. if the weather is nice we will hopefully go for a nice walk. We are also visiting family in Scotland.
DS is too young for a favourite film but I'm looking forward to hours spent watching Disney and Christmas movies too.

GwenStacy Wed 12-Feb-14 10:24:55

Ooh, I'll add feedback this afternoon, but exciting parcel received this morning!

Stripytop Wed 12-Feb-14 10:43:39

Thankyou for my lovely valentines day treat Pruhealth! Lovely smellies are always very much appreciated.
Looking forward to recieving my cinema vouchers too - feeling very spoiled at the moment. smile

Audreyblue Wed 12-Feb-14 11:01:54

Thank you CointreauVersial, Bagtrainlady and LocalEditorMerton! Cointreau - wishing you many happy returns of the day for Monday (the big milestone!)

I also got a call from the personal trainer whilst I was having my dinner last night and I'm booked in for Sunday morning so no lie in!

Participants please share what film you are seeing or have seen with your Cineworld/ Vue voucher and what treats you like to enjoy generally with your family.

OK - have a bit of a dilemma with this. DS wants to see The Lego Movie and DD is adamant that it's going to be Mr Peabody & Sherman. So I fear we have a battle on our hands. We may just have to toss a coin. As far as treats go, we love going for a walk in the park and feeding the ducks, having a family night away in a hotel (with a pool) or a trip into London. Once a year we like to go to the theatre, although this works out very costly so we usually wait until Kids Week in the summer.

How do you think the treat and reward element of the PruHealth with Vitality plan works?

I think it really is a fantastic concept and really motivates and encourages you to adopt the healthy lifestyle. Since the trial, I haven't felt better. Using the Fitbug and going to the gym has made me evaluate things and give priority to things that matter. We've also started eating a lot more fruit and veg with more steaming and grilling instead of frying. And it is very nice to be rewarded for all your hard work. Spending time with the family and enjoying rewards together is a really positive addition to a happy and healthy lifestyle.

Fillybuster Wed 12-Feb-14 11:29:58

Non tester here (still gutted envy grin )

Lots of different stuff planned for half term to keep all 3 dcs occupied whilst I'm at work.

Two days of dance camp for DDs1&2, and sports camp for DS. Another day MIL taking DDs to puppet show and DS going to cinema instead with another family member (no idea what yet!) and then MIL taking them all out for dinner (god bless my MIL!). Au pair is planning a day trip one day, then the rest is play dates, home crafty stuff and some chill time, so they're recharged for when school starts.

telsa Wed 12-Feb-14 12:08:23

Ahh, half-term - involves visits to castles, walks along the canal, activities at the various museums of Central London, lots of cooking, playing board games, visits to the park - and not having to get up before the sun!

Favourite film - we have so many favourite films, but I suppose a great love is anything by Studio Ghibli and especially Spirited Away.

FiveOwls Wed 12-Feb-14 12:18:14

Non participant. Both of mine (15 and 12) are interested in just chilling out and sleeping late, which counts as a treat for them. Might get them out to do some rock hopping or a beach walk but it'll probably take bribery with ice cream. They also wanted to hire a badminton court so I must look into that.
As a family our favourite films (i.e. ones that we all watch together) have obviously changed over time. It used to be Shrek but these days it's more like the Batman trilogy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now