This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Mumsnetters wanted to be Ovo Energy Research Group members for 12 months - your gas and electricity bills could be paid for a year in exchange!

(87 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 10:07:03

Ovo Energy have asked us to find 12 MNers to form a research group who they will work with over the course of a year, helping to develop new initiatives and providing feedback on existing activity.

Here is what Ovo Energy say about their plans: "Ovo Energy is about being cheaper, greener and simpler. We're doing things differently to other energy companies and part of that includes being open and honest. We're OK at this, but know we're not perfect, which is where you come in. We know that Mumsnetters aren't backwards in coming forwards with sharing their views (!) and would like to get your input on how we're doing, and how we can get better. We'd also like your help shaping our communications in the future - so this can be anything from what a bill looks like through to an advertising campaign."

We are looking for 12 UK MNers who are able to commit to:
~ Taking part in at least 2 online research activities per month - these will last 30mins-1 hour each and will need to be completed within 7 days of receiving the invitation
~ Attending up to 4 face-to-face research sessions during the year (one per quarter) - 2 of these will be daytime focus groups but the other 2 are more flexible and will be arranged around you. All expenses will be paid and they will be in locations convenient for panellists.

In exchange for your participation in all of the research activities you're invited to complete, your household energy bills will be paid by Ovo for 12 months. This will be done via monthly credits which will be in line with your existing household energy consumption. You will need to switch to Ovo in order to take part, but are free to switch again once the 12 months is up.
If you're interested in taking part, please sign up here. If you're selected, your details will be passed on to Ovo who will contact you. All data will be kept confidential by Ovo and will be used for research purposes only - you won't receive any marketing as a result.

Please note that all research activities will be organised and run by Ovo, we're just doing this initial recruitment stage on behalf of Ovo.

NB this applies to gas and electricity energy bills only.

If you have any queries about what's involved, please post them here and we'll get back to you.

Thanks
MNHQ

poorbuthappy Wed 06-Mar-13 16:54:53

Go on, how long do we need to wait until the crushing disappointment of not being picked?grin

ajandjjmum Wed 06-Mar-13 17:22:56

OVO - I don't think you could afford me, my bills are so ridiculously high - seriously. But I'm available!!!!

KristinaM Wed 06-Mar-13 17:36:31

Perhaps mumsnet coudl change the thread title to indicate this only includes gas and electricity bills, to save annoying the thousands of mumsnetters who don't have gas so rely on other fuels ? Eg oil, coal, LPG

lorka Wed 06-Mar-13 17:41:40

This sounds great. I'd love to be involved. I tried to do on my phone and got cut off. Is there any way to check my application has gone through ok? Thanks.

LegoAcupuncture Wed 06-Mar-13 18:15:20

When is the deadline for this?

marssparklesdownonme Wed 06-Mar-13 18:18:49

I'm already with Ovo . Can I still apply??

Skullnbones Wed 06-Mar-13 18:24:27

Bugger I just locked into a price freeze with npower!

lunar1 Wed 06-Mar-13 18:27:01

Fingers crossed!

ValentineWiggins Wed 06-Mar-13 18:28:23

I just checked - I'm locked in until August but exit fee only £30 so definitely worth switching if I get picked!

Wolfcub Wed 06-Mar-13 18:36:27

well I've tried to complete the survey but when I click submit it just goes back to the mumsnet insight page abd doesn't indicate that the entry has been received

Intriguing, sounds too good to be true..

Jux Wed 06-Mar-13 18:50:17

We're with EDF, who are OK, but I'm sure we could do better. just discussed this at length with dh.

Count me in!

OvO Wed 06-Mar-13 18:59:14

They've stolen my name! shockgrin

I need to know if they also chose the name coz it looks like an owl?

JakeBullet Wed 06-Mar-13 19:00:37

Dammit.....thanks for checking though.

Jux Wed 06-Mar-13 19:05:41

Wolfcub that happened to me too, so I hope that means it's OK.

AmandinePoulain Wed 06-Mar-13 19:11:41

OvO I thought of you when I saw this thread, I still remember your thread when you name changed to OvO grin

OvO Wed 06-Mar-13 19:23:42

Ahh that was the one where I modestly claimed to have the best MN name now. grinblush

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Mar-13 19:41:29

KristinaM

Perhaps mumsnet coudl change the thread title to indicate this only includes gas and electricity bills, to save annoying the thousands of mumsnetters who don't have gas so rely on other fuels ? Eg oil, coal, LPG

Thanks for this KristinaM, we have done just that.
MNHQ

mrspink27 Wed 06-Mar-13 19:45:16

I am already an OVO customer... but would love to take part... am I eligible?

Nikced Wed 06-Mar-13 20:45:46

I can do panels as long as they are school hols, I'm assuming lots of applicants would like term time instead though!
My dual fuel with npower ends soon so depends on dates tbh

Indith Wed 06-Mar-13 21:04:32

I wonder with things like this how wide spread the views energy companies actually get are?

This isn't a rant at all, just musing.

But thinking about it, the incentive for this is having your bills paid. Now that's great but they also want AT LEAST 1-2 hours a month, maybe more AND 4 panel sessions which is actually rather a lot. But for those who only have electric that isn't actually that much. Because our electric bill is fairly low I personally am unlikely to sign up because I don't think the "pay" will be worth the time I will have to put in though I can see that it would be for those with both gas and electric.

So if it ins't worth it for me, are other electric only people also unlikely to sign up? So does the panel end up being very much skewed to those with gas and do the energy company miss out on hearing the views of electric only customers? Electric only do tend to be pretty sidelined in general, we miss out on most of the best deals.

Anyway, in the interests of actually collecting meaningful data I suppose it is something energy companies may want to think about.

KristinaM Wed 06-Mar-13 21:25:36

Thanks Olivia

RoseandVioletCreams Wed 06-Mar-13 22:22:21

when do they let us know if we have been successful to be one of the 12?

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Mar-13 10:25:28

Lorka - we've got your application thanks

TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 07-Mar-13 10:27:14

wolfcub - we've got you too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now