This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Dyson Digital Slim DC44 Tester feedback review thread – Non testers – you could win a Dyson

(320 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Dec-12 20:47:56

This thread is for the testers currently putting the Dyson Digital Slim DC44 through its paces this Christmas.

Once you've received the Dyson and have had a play please let us know your first impressions.

Then let us know - across the next couple of weeks - how you're getting on with the challenges (do also let us know if you've invented or discovered any other ways the Dyson helped out!).

Here's what Dyson say about their challenges:

The balance challenge - "We know that often busy parents need to multi task. So can you still vacuum with the Dyson digital slim whilst the other hand is doing something else - carrying the baby, the dog, the phone, cooking, putting things away (you name it)".

The versatility challenge - "how useful are the different attachments in cleaning those hard to reach places?"

The cobweb challenge - "can you reach those high up cobwebs that have been sat there lurking for a while?"

The family mess challenge - "pets, children, mud, crisps, crumbs? what family mess can the Dyson digital slim pick up?"

The 20 minute dash challenge - Guests turning up announced? How much of the house can you clean in 20 minutes with the Dyson digital slim?

You will need to add feedback at least twice - once everyone has added their feedback on the challenges we'll add some questions to find out your overall views.

If you're not a tester, we've persuaded Dyson to give one lucky MNer the Dyson machine of their choice - all you need to do is, on this thread, share your cleaning tips and/or the hardest place you've had to reach when cleaning and you'll be entered into a prize draw to win a Dyson (could be vacuum, an Air Multiplier fan or a Dyson Hot).

Thanks, MNHQ

CarrieDon Thu 27-Dec-12 17:26:20

We have dust-collecting burglar alarm point at the corner of the ceiling in our stairwell which is beyond the reach of even my very tall dh. When we recently had the decorator in to paint our hall stairs and landing he gave it a wipe for me. Needs a duster with a very long extension arm which I have no intention of buying

fallingandlaughing Thu 27-Dec-12 18:03:50

Hardest to reach place must tie between cornicing - basically the ceiling, and the top of the kitchen cupboards (once rather intelligently climbed up on wet worktop to clean these with a cloth, resulting in concussion and a trip to hospital get the back of my head stapled up).

have remembered my favourite tip: never leave a room empty handed. helps with keeping things generally tidy.

SuzysZoo Thu 27-Dec-12 19:06:07

I am a tester and posting my first impressions. It was neatly packaged and not too difficult to get it out of the packet and get hoovering. Unlike many children's toys these days it did NOT take 30 mins to unpack and require a screwdriver/pliers to remove the packaging! I was pleased that it had a small initial charge and I could have a hoover straight away! I found it light and exceptionally easy to manoeuvre. Having to hold down the on button is a little annoying and I do not understand why the design is like this. I mean, it's not a chainsaw is it? Perhaps it is a safety feature that I don't understand, but I would prefer a simple on/off button. This is the only negative that I can spot at this stage, however, and I think this product is excellent so far. The tools clip on/off easily. I held back tackling the terrible ceiling spider webs so that I can catch that on video later!

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Thu 27-Dec-12 19:11:15

My tip.... Buy your child cleaning things for Christmas! Ds has swept the living room floor every day since he got his cleaning trolley from Santa!

Indith Thu 27-Dec-12 19:11:27

Oh I am so envy. I love the challenges, all proper ones with no daft pretentious crap grin.

My hardest to reach places- the stairs up to the loft which are narrow and have a bend so you get that bit in the middle you can't stretch the hoover to but can't balance it on the stairs as they are too narrow. Also various bits of picture rail in the dining room that needs dusting often due to the fire bit there are bits I struggle to reach balanced on a chair leaning over tall bits of furniture.

Top tips? Oh heck I'm not one to talk I am useless at keeping on top of things. I'd say never go upstairs without taking something up but I have a pile at the bottom of my stairs which is supposed to be taken up but in reality just increases in size while being ignored. grin.

If you have a small baby then use a sling. You can do a heck of a lot more with 2 hands.

littlemonkeychops Thu 27-Dec-12 19:15:13

Top cleaning tip - little and often, do a couple of little jobs a day so it doesn't build up.

Couple of questions for thd testers - so do you have to hold the trigger dosn the whole time you're using it? And does it have a lead you csn plug in if you wanted to sometimes?

Grockle Thu 27-Dec-12 19:16:05

Is this worth buying?

I am unwell & quite disabled at times. Currently hoovering one room is all I can manage (with a Miele pull along thingy) before I need a rest. I love my hoover, or did until we got the dog. Now there is dog hair all over the carpet even when I've just hoovered sad

The holding a button down would be difficult for me. I can't put petrol in the car because holding the grippy bit for long enough hurts.

CheeryCherry Thu 27-Dec-12 19:17:22

My top tip, vac up little and often, then it doesn't end up horrendous. I also use my small brush to clean along the picture rails and curtains/rails. Envious of the Dyson testers!

Lifeisontheup Thu 27-Dec-12 20:10:15

The hardest place for me to clean is the top of the stair well, too high for any feather duster or the hose from the dyson I currently have.

nextphase Thu 27-Dec-12 20:36:13

Hardest place to clean - the crevice a between the wall and the banister. I currently dangle the narrow end of the smallest attachment into the gap, and pull up as much dust as I can.

Tip: get the kids involved. Mine love wiping windows, and pushing the hover around.

SunshinePanda Thu 27-Dec-12 20:36:19

The hardest thing to clean in our house is anywhere the cat has been as she seems to leave fluff in every corner! Need to have lightweight, easily accessible cleaning tools to encourage frequent use.

FrillyMilly Thu 27-Dec-12 20:58:11

You have to hold the button continuously when you use it rather then press once on and once off. There is a plug with a lead to charge it but you can't use it when it's plugged in. You don't have to use the wall mount to charge it though as the charger is seperate, it's similar to a mobile phone charger.

Roseformeplease Thu 27-Dec-12 21:04:05

Hardest places to clean include behind loos, picture rails (old house) and under beds. Cleaning tips are more about keeping it very tidy and having no clutter so that cleaning is easy. Also, those brilliant cloths that just use water, a really good vacuum cleaner and keeping on top of it. Hope I win!!! Didn't get to do the test and was GUTTED

grockle - no i don't think you'd manage it. i commented upthread that i was getting hand pain from using it. you are holding it down and it's vibrating plus you are weightbearing (albeit a light weight). i would recommend it for anyone with arthritis or carpel tunnel syndrome or anything like that. (sorry dyson)

i wouldn't recommend that should say!

My best cleaning tip is to employ a cleaner!

alemci Thu 27-Dec-12 21:14:20

yes i definitely think an on off switch would be better but it is a very good cleaner and so quick and easy to use.

LoonyRationalist Thu 27-Dec-12 21:18:39

Hardest place to clean is currently behind the Christmas tree. Normally behind Tv table (wires, wires and more wires) or my dd's floor as I have to find it under a huge mess before I can clean it!

noisytoys Thu 27-Dec-12 21:50:53

My flat hasn't been messy since I got the Dyson it is so effortless to use it makes keeping on top of housework so easy smile

SantaFlashesHisBoobsALot Thu 27-Dec-12 21:53:19

Initial feedback:

I. Am. In. Love. For years, I have struggled doing the housework, because I am disabled. Suddenly I can now vacuum without being in pain, and without needing to rest for hours afterwards.

It is so quick and easy to sort out, not having to faff around with a wire etc, that I can say to myself, "Oh DS is occupied for five minutes, I can nip around now", whereas before I would have to plan in advance when I would be able to hoover.

The wonderful mobility and easy to steer nature means that even the tightest corners can be cleaned without hesitation.

I am impressed with the suction power, considering the size of the machine as well.

Challenges and filming to be done this weekend, when there is more mess around because I keep cleaning up.

Grockle Thu 27-Dec-12 21:53:42

Thank you swallowed - I'd rather find out here than after I've paid £250+ for it.

BlastOff Thu 27-Dec-12 21:56:17

My cleaning tip is to hoover regularly, and get your carpets professionally cleaned every year too. I don't do this myself but I reckon it's a good tip and one I aspire to!

We have an old Victorian house and there are lots of cobwebby areas - the worst are under the stairs - so I ignore them!

BoysAndGhouls Thu 27-Dec-12 22:05:12

Hardest place to reach? The 12th stair whilst the hovers at the bottom, reaching underneath to the back of the sofa.
tip mop before you Hoover, not the other way round. Then the floor is pre cleaned and the dirt stays in one place, so your not chasing the dirt around, smile

upinthehills Thu 27-Dec-12 23:12:33

My cleaning tip is to try and make your children accountable to the mess they have created - I frequently get a child out of their room and make them pick up something they have abandoned in the hall - I'm horrible, I am !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now