Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Chicco Baby and Toddler Toy feedback thread (now with final feedback questions added)

(61 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Nov-12 11:25:28

This feedback thread is for the 21 Mumsnetters who are trying out a Chicco toy with their baby or toddler.

The toys on test are:
~ Rainbow Cube projector
~ Bubble Gym Play mat
~ Quattro Sit 'n' Ride
~ Talking Kitchen
~ Talking Carpenter
~ Talking School Bus
~ Jimmy Thunder

Everyone who takes part and adds feedback as required would be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get £100 of Chicco products they would be sent a catalogue and can choose the products they would like.

So first of all we want your first impressions: please share with us

~ what toy did you try and how old is your baby/ toddler
~ your overall first impression of the toy and it's packaging
~ what did your baby/ child think?

Later we will add more questions to this thread.

In addition you were sent a booklet about the Chicco "happy moments" collection they are offering to buyers this Christmas: please let us know what you thought about that.
(Anyone buying just £29 of Chicco toys between 15 October and 31 December will receive a booklet featuring four great experiences, something for everyone in the family - visit www.chiccohappymoments.co.uk for more information)

Thanks
MNHQ

awhistlingwoman Wed 07-Nov-12 21:40:58

what toy did you try and how old is your baby/ toddler?
The Quattro Sit 'n' Ride. My little boy is eighteen months.

your overall first impression of the toy and it's packaging
Would have to agree with with Schrodingers and Gwendoline, the box IS absolutely massive! In fact, the size of the box intimidated me so much that I've only just been brave enough to open it! It's been sitting in the car port for the past few days as I worried that the contents would be too huge for our living room with older sis off school on half term! Apart from the mahoosive box the packaging was very straightforward and easy to remove. Just a slight panic when I couldn't find the safety belts (packaged inside the seat!)

Must admit, I also thought that the toy might have been preassembled given the size of the box but it was in bits. I read the instructions, put it together with no problems, even the fiddly seatbelt bits. Was feeling pretty pleased with myself but THEN I looked up the instructions to change the toy to what I thought would be the most appropriate mode, Sit'n'Ride, as my little boy is pretty tall and quite steady on his feet. Then all my good feelings about the assembly vanished!

Perhaps I should have read ALL of the instructions first, like an exam paper! Underneath the assembly instructions it says 'assemble as follows the first time upon purchase, regardless of the mode you want to use' which I dutifully did. Only to discover that all I then had to do to change it the mode I wanted was take off the seatbelts for the 'safe and correct use of the toy in his mode.' Those very seatbelts I'd just struggled to put on! The seat belts came off easily enough but the clip that goes through the slot of the seat had to be pried out with a screwdriver!

I really like the colours, it is always a relief to have toys that aren't pink or blue. The orange and green are lovely and cheerful. I like all the sounds, they aren't too grating and don't go on for too long and drive you round the twist. It is quite large but I'm hoping that will be a bonus. My toddler is very tall and has tumbled off his other ride on, I think just because he's too ungainly on the smaller wheely bug and his knees are up round his ears!

Also I did decide to go for the sit'n'ride rather than the push'n'walk on the basis of Schrodinger's comment - I don't think I would be able to get the safety belts done up around my boy. Admittedly he is on the upper end of the age range now but, looking at the size of the seat, I don't think he would have fitted in there, with the seat belts done up, from around 12 months. And given that I'm 5'8 and hubs 6'4, if you are struggling with the handle at a far more petite 5'1 Schrodinger I don't think I'm prepared to endure that much hunching to push him along!

what did your baby/ child think?
Loved the noises and sounds, seemed happy enough on the car itself and is gathering confidence and speed. Just need a bigger living room now! Big sis is also interested (just turned four) so hope she is not heavy enough to break it as I suspect that I will not be able to keep her off it!

booklet was initially quite interested but, having had a closer look at what's on offer, am slightly less so. It is a nice idea, particularly if the prices have not been raised, but I'm not especially interested in a pamper session. Was wondering if it might go towards a spa day or something like that but looks as though it is pretty restricted to being a specific range of treatments.
Do have to say that both my kids have been to 'Creation Station' before and absolutely LOVE it. So perhaps that is my best bet. The 2 for 1 offerings are nice but, unless it was something I was considering anyway, I probably wouldn't have the money to pay for the one around the festive season and then I'd probably forget!

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Wed 07-Nov-12 22:54:11

Whistling Can you please try the push along for me? Just in case it is perhaps my posture or something.

awhistlingwoman Wed 07-Nov-12 23:50:01

Oh course I will Schro I'm inclined to say that, just looking at it, I don't think it's your posture! But will be back to report possibly with a severe crick in my back from hunching

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Thu 08-Nov-12 11:35:18

Thank you. I have tried it again (I do have a bad back) and it is quite uncomfortable but I realise for someone else my height, in good fitness it could be fine.

My DGM has tried it and said that it's fine for her (4'11") and DP has tried it and said it would hurt his shoulders to even try and push it (5'7").

BuffyFairy Fri 09-Nov-12 11:43:48

Just wanted to add that dd loves the music choices. She spent lots of time yesterday pressing the job button and dancing to it.

BuffyFairy Fri 09-Nov-12 11:44:17

Argh hob not job. Damn autocorrect!

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sat 10-Nov-12 13:45:48

Okay, have been ill the past couple of days practically glued to the couch on my PJs and I will say this toy has been a bit of a lifesaver, to the point that DS cruises round the living room (he doesn't really walk at all yet) to get to it! grin

He loves the vroom vroom thing and trying to climb on it himself, it is a brilliant toy. Having spent a few days with it, I realise that now.

He even dances to the wee tunes, it's really good.

awhistlingwoman Sun 11-Nov-12 09:56:37

I'm loving the wee tunes. We've all been dancing around to them! Hope you're feeling better now Schro.

I've just tried fitting the handle on this morning. At first I thought it looked WAY too short but, once I'd clicked it all into place, it seems fine for me to push (not DH but he is used to nothing being the right size!)

So . . . I am 5'8 and the top of the handle comes up to just under hip height on me. I can push it along (not tried loaded as DS is out at the mo and I'm NOT attempting to push DD2 as she is far too heavy!) without too much hunching, feels quite comfy.

Maybe try taking it out and putting it in again. Maybe it clicked in too far? or perhaps it is my freakishly long monkey arms that are making it easier for me to push?

Both kids have definitely enjoyed it. DD2 has been sitting on it which I'm pleased about as she has hypermobile hips and stiff knees and ankles. Or is it the other way round? Slightly gammy legs anyway and it is difficult to persuade her to do anything that involves bending her knees!

DS1 can get up quite a turn of speed on the thing and he also likes just sitting on it and swaying to the tunes. Definitely a big hit.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Sun 11-Nov-12 13:00:24

Think it must just be me then, I have quite short arms as well and bad posture so that will be the problem.

He used it as a walker last night. grin I'm chuffed, he's getting braver and I think this car is helping. He's managed to topple it over a couple of using it as a walker but that's just him leaning on it too much on bits he shouldn't. I do actually think it's quite sturdy and love it too.

NotInMyDay Sun 11-Nov-12 14:52:08

Here are my first impressions

We have the Talking Toolbench. DS is 23mo.
I hate this kind of packaging I have to admit. Those twisty ties drive me to distraction but at least no screwdriver was required.
There was an initial excitement around the toy when he was discovering what it did. The songs and phrases are a welcome addition to make the toy more interesting. He loves turning the screwdriver but seems underwhelmed by the saw and hammer. My HV has commented that he is unusually good at independent, imaginative play for his age so it may be that he prefers things that are not so prescriptive.
All in all it has been largely overlooked. I suspect the kitchen would have appealed to him more. <adds kitchen to e er growing Christmas list

Chicco "happy moments"
I don't have any particularly strong feelings on the booklet. I would most likely not use any of them. The pamper sessions are not widely available around Scotland. I live in Glasgow and there are none there. I am not interested in travelling to Edinburgh to have this done.
The craft session looks ok and if I could organise easily might do it.
The family days out are more wide spread than the pamper sessions but they seem to be the 'duller' attractions. Maritime and motor museums and the like. I like an animal attraction (Butterfly world being the only one) so again I don't I'd use them.

It's an ok idea but unless widely available it just doesn't seem to work.

EarnestDullard Sun 11-Nov-12 15:27:10

~what toy did you try and how old is your baby/ toddler
We tried the Rainbow Cube Projector. DD is 6 weeks old.

~your overall first impression of the toy and it's packaging
The toy looks good, solid and well-constructed. The pakcaging was a faff though; boxes taped into boxes, nothing opened easily and then all those twist ties.

DD seemed to like watching the lights; she still sleeps in a moses basket so there wasn't really room to try it out as part of her sleep routine. I think she'll take more notice of it in another month or two.

PseudoBadger Fri 16-Nov-12 21:59:03

what toy did you try and how old is your baby/ toddler

We have Jimmy Thunders and DS is 22 months.

your overall first impression of the toy and it's packaging

It looked nice and solid and safe. I was impressed that a remote control car could be made effective for such a young age group.
The packaging - box was fine, but the twist ties are infuriating! Especially when toddler is pulling car out from the other side!

what did your baby/ child think?

He loves it! We only got it today and he played with it from opening it until bed time and then took the car to bed. He loves chasing it round whilst I drive it, and he's had a go on the remote steering wheel as well - he loves the horn.

LolaDontCryOverSlitThroats Sat 17-Nov-12 11:33:22

We tried the talking school bus and DS is 23 months

My first impression was that it was very bright as was the packaging, the packaging was fairly easy to open which is always good when you have an impatient toddler waiting for a shot, And i was relieved that it has batteries already as there is not much worse than not having them.

DS started to dance straight away and seemed to enjoy the tunes, He liked the face and said ''silly face'' a few times which i wouldn't have expected him to notice. He enjoys copying the numbers and letters and repeating them and he likes cheering when he gets the questions right and so far seems very happy and pleased with his 'buscar'

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Nov-12 10:12:53

Thanks for adding all your feedback on your Chicco toy.

Please answer the following questions – and please don't forget to add a review of your toy here

Please again state the toy you received and the age of your child/ baby.

~ How has your child played/ interacted with the toy?
~ What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it?
~ Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did.
~ If you had a talking toy did you like the function of also having the talking in a foreign language – what did you think about this?
~ If you had the Quattro Sit 'N' Ride – did you like the adaptability – i.e. that the toy can grow with the child?
~ If you had the Rainbow cube – do you think the toy helped with any bedtime routine for your child? – Did it help create an association of 'bed'?

~ Would you recommend this toy to other parents? Why/ why not?
~ Do you think this toy is value for money? If so why, if not, why not?

GollyGoshGreat Mon 26-Nov-12 11:03:44

what toy did you try and how old is your baby?
18 mo DD testing the talking kitchen.

DD wanted to play alone with this toy. Happy to entertain herself with it for up to 10 mins.

~ What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it?
^It's a copy/modelling toy, DD likes to play with it whilst I'm cooking in the kitchen.

~ Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did.
what a load of crap! What on earth made you think that this was a good idea?

~ If you had a talking toy did you like the function of also having the talking in a foreign language – what did you think about this?
I liked the concept but not a language that we use in our family so not much help for us

No, I don't think so. There are better toys for 40 quid/limited interactive play

I think it's expensive. I'd consider paying £25 for it, tops. It doesn't have enough play features - it doesn't need all the songs. We'd prefer better simple play function like a bigger sink and more accessories.

Quattro Sit 'n' Ride tested by 10 month old daughter (and 4 year old daughter!)

The absolute stand out part of the toy was the music. The two girls love dancing to it and DD1 puts the music on to listen to when she's doing something else! Even any adults who've been around have commented that the music is vastly less irritating than the usual choices!

The 4 year old rides it like a racing car. The 10 month old pushes it around as she's tentatively walking. She wasn't keen on it as a rocker and wasn't mad on the bars along the side keeping her in

She loves to press all the buttons and she seems to like being in control of something big. Smaller toys with buttons have been long discarded!

Haven't been able to redeem it. It didn't impinge on me one way or the other tbh. It wouldn't influence whether I bought the toy or not

N/A

~ If you had the Quattro Sit 'N' Ride – did you like the adaptability – i.e. that the toy can grow with the child?
Yes, liked that very much although, as I said, DD2 wasn't keen on the rocker. Maybe a younger child would have been. But my older child loves it and she's way past the target age for it

~ If you had the Rainbow cube – do you think the toy helped with any bedtime routine for your child? – Did it help create an association of 'bed'?
N/A

Yes, would make them aware that it is is bigger than other toys of a similar ilk and also that it's definitely an indoor toy in case they're tempted instead of something like the Smart Trike

Yes, I like it a lot and it would have been something I'd buy for dd2

Thank you for letting me test it smile

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Mon 26-Nov-12 11:15:13

He likes playing with it on his own and zooming around the living room.

Well, he has used it as a walker and is now walking on his own. grin

I haven't used the voucher yet but I will and I will come back and add feedback.

Ours doesn't talk

I did like that and DS has certainly enjoyed the different ways of using it.

I would, unless they were particularly tall. Would have prefferred if the handle was an adjustable height and the straps were adjustable, otherwise this toy is pretty perfect.

I think it's around the same price as similar toys, so yes, I do think it is good value for money.

Sparkles23 Mon 26-Nov-12 14:39:08

He has really enjoyed playing with it, I think he loves the fact that he is controlling it and the control is the shape of a steering wheel. He is only 2 and at first really didn’t have a clue about going forward and backwards but still loved it and just pressed any old button but with time he has actually started to understand which button goes forward and which goes back, he also loved pressing the beep button in the middle. He doesn’t always use the remote and sometimes uses the car with his other toys like dinosaurs and teddies which is nice.

~ What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it? As stated above after a while he did start to realise that one of the buttons reverses the car and one make it go forward so this is very beneficial and he also started to understand after a while that when it hits a wall it’s not going to go forward any more and he needs to pick the car up and turn it round. So it certainly stimulates part of his brain and makes him think. I think it’s a toy that he can enjoy for ages and in a years time when he’s 3 he will probably get even more out of it

~ Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did. No I haven’t yet, I’ve not really had time but will have a look

~ If you had a talking toy did you like the function of also having the talking in a foreign language – what did you think about this? N/A

~ If you had the Quattro Sit 'N' Ride – did you like the adaptability – i.e. that the toy can grow with the child? N/A

~ If you had the Rainbow cube – do you think the toy helped with any bedtime routine for your child? – Did it help create an association of 'bed'? N/A

~ Would you recommend this toy to other parents? Why/ why not? Definitely, it’s a great toy for 2+, there are not many cars that are suitable for this age group but this is perfect especially if your little one loves cars which mine does. It’s also not over complicated, I hate things where need to read lots of instructions but this you simply take it out of the pack (ties are annoying but definitely preferable to anything you need scissors to remove!) – put the batteries in and it’s fairly obvious even if you didn’t read the instructions you could figure it out. It is a great toy and my son absolutely loves it and it’s not something he’d grow out of too quickly which is also appealing.

~ Do you think this toy is value for money? If so why, if not, why not? Yes I think £20 is a very reasonable price to pay, it’s not too expensive and I would certainly pay that for it. Especially when you compare the price to other things out there for example Happyland toys (which I have bought for Christmas for my son) which in my opinion are expensive and don’t actually do much, this is only £20 and it’s a remote control car – don’t think you would normally find one that cheap. I do think it’s a good price and very affordable.

We tried the Bubble Gym play mat and my baby was 17 weeks old but is now 19 weeks old.

My daughter has enjoyed playing with the toy, especially looking at the different coloured lights, the dangling toys have also encouraged her to try and grab and pull.

This toy has actually encouraged my daughter to sit up! I took the bars off the play gym and sat my daughter on the play mat with the lights on in front of her and she leaned forward trying to touch the lights whilst balancing herself. smile

I havent yet redeemed the voucher, i did flick through the book but nothing really stood out for me.

n/a

n/a

n/a

I would recommend this toy as the lights and music seemed to grab my daughters attention, overall i was very happy with it.

Yes because of all the features (lights, your own music, dangling toys).

Thanks.

GetKnitted Mon 26-Nov-12 22:15:13

Chicco Talking Carpenter
Ds2 who is the target age loves playing the music, and will repeatedly pull the levers and press the buttons until he gets the songs he wants to hear. He used to just play the abc song, but now he tries the other 'tools'.
DS1 (4 yo) knows all the songs in English and some of the songs in French.
He really enjoys it, I'm happy that he's also being exposed to sounds in French, though I'm sure he's no idea which ones are which.
Sorry, I haven't done anything with it, it has been hanging around the dining table for the whole time and is unfortunately being used to check if pens are working.
I liked the french setting and I've been able to put some of the phrases and words together to understand what they are, so if I was playing with DS with the toy then he could probably actually learn some french. However, because the phrases don't always relate to the actions you've done, I doubt he'll be able to take the full advantage in independent play.

I would, it has been a toy that entertained both my boys and that they could both play together with. The music is still not annoying!
I've seen this advertised for £20 and I do think it is value for money. We have bought more expensive cars which have had less use than this.

GetKnitted Mon 26-Nov-12 22:15:49

cars!? i meant toys blush

GetKnitted Mon 26-Nov-12 22:17:00

Oh and Thanks Chicco smile

SuiGeneris Tue 27-Nov-12 11:58:14

We tried Jimmy Thunder (remote controlled car) and my son is 2 years 10 months.

How has your child played/ interacted with the toy?
He likes driving it around, especially now that he has learnt to make it go slowly (and therefore crashes it less). He also enjoys the horn and lights.

What do you think are the values of the toy - e.g. what does your child gain from playing/ interacting with it?
He has fun and so do visiting children. He also seems to have learnt that the car will turn depending on how he turns the steering wheel, but tbh I am not sure whether he realised that before (about steering wheels in general).

Any additional thoughts on the "Happy Moments" - have you been able to redeem the voucher? If so, please share what you did.

Have not tried to redeem the voucher as the things on offer are not really my sort of thing and in any event I do not have enough free time. I imagine younger and less boring types would like them though.

Would you recommend this toy to other parents? Why/ why not?

Yes if they were specifically looking for a remote controlled toy for a younger child.

If asked to recommend a toy for a child this age, in general, I am not sure. DS loved it in the early days and so do visiting children (with resulting squabbles) but for most of the time it lives in the toy box now. The LEGO and the wooden railway (which are less noisy and do not require batteries) on the other hand are out every day without fail.

I might give it as a present for a birthday, but it would very much depend on the family. Most of the time DH and I have a policy of not giving presents that make noise or require batteries, so would only give it if I knew the family in question well enough to know that they do not mind noisy toys.

Do you think this toy is value for money? If so why, if not, why not?

I have seen this advertised for £20, so yes, because it is good quality, sturdy and has survived the hard bashing it has had at the hands of various overexcited children who have come to play in the last month or so.

cleanandclothed Tue 27-Nov-12 13:54:01

We have the rainbow cube and ds is nearly 5 months.

How has your child played/ interacted with the toy?

Well he is still quite small but he listens to the music. Lights dont interest him much. The 4 year old loves it - both music and lights and often has it on at bedtime.

It is soothing - hasn't sent the 4 month old to sleep yet though!

No

n/a

n/a

Am still working on this - I hope so but I think it will take a while

Probably not - I don't think a parent would by it because I think the music/lights could be incorporated within a baby monitor and as a parent I would like a multi function thing over many single function things. I don't think it has a 'unique selling point'. I really wish the lights moved - then I might reconsider.

~ Do you think this toy is value for money? If so why, if not, why not? I don't think so. Bearing in mind it is for a baby, as a parent I would find it ok but unnecessary - if someone bought it as a present then I wouldnt dislike it but wouldnt actively seek it out. As someone buying a gift I would prefer to buy books - I could get 4-5 good ones for the price of the toy.

NikkiCrick Tue 27-Nov-12 14:37:25

Please again state the toy you received and the age of your child/ baby.
Bubble Gym Play Mat - daughter now 24+ weeks.

My daughter loves the music / sounds of the gym, she still isn't keen on the lights though. We have been able to lie on the mat whilst listening to music / audiobooks. She was able to reach toys above her hands, whilst kicking others.

She is trying to move towards her favourite toys, shuffling along. It encouraged her to reach for things out of her immediate environment.

I have looked at the booklet but nothing really appealled to me, so I don't think I will use any of them.

I would recommend it, after you get passed the faff of getting the gym out of the box and toys attached! I like that the toys can be swapped around and that the pillow is separate. It is great that the pat itself is easy to wipe if there any accidents. I really enjoyed the music element and was able to lie with my baby listening to music or audiobooks.

I think it's reasonable for the money, but not sure whether people would prefer an inbuilt MP3 player, not always practical to attach phone, so may have to purchase separate player.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now