MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Kim Woodburn, of Kim and Aggie fame joining us for lunchtime webchat between 12 and 1pm on Tuesday 22nd September.

(280 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Sep-09 10:03:40

Kim, presenter of 'How Clean is Your house' will be joining us to answer your questions on cleaning and tidying and generally turning your house from pigsty to palace on Tuesday (22nd) lunchtime between 12 and 1pm. If you're unable to join us, then send your questions in to this thread.

badbadbadCappy Thu 17-Sep-09 16:23:06

oh and any clever ways of cleaning the outside of windows that are too far up for a window cleaner to go?

badbadbadCappy Thu 17-Sep-09 16:24:23

also I want to know if she emails Flylady regularly for a good chat or if they are sworn enemies and rivals who must never be in the same room

CMOTdibbler Thu 17-Sep-09 16:29:05

Whats your biggest cleaning challenge ? Anything that evades you still ?

Indith Thu 17-Sep-09 16:33:02

Oooh I just clocked the date. It will be my birthday! Do you think I can give the dcs and early lunch and pack them off for their naps so I can be here?

How do you get rid of ancient bits of brown parcel tape stuck to the door frames?

Oh and what about what looks like clay dried to painted wooden doors?

Indith Thu 17-Sep-09 16:34:35

Was that woman with all the birds who then let them back into the house so it was all covered in poo again for the revisit a complete and utter loon and did she make you want to go outside and scream and shout and cry and stamp your foot afterwards?

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 17-Sep-09 16:42:15

What are your three top must have cleaning products?

You are fab and I'm always amazed at how you are keen to get your nose right in there to smell how bad it really is smile

cocolepew United States Thu 17-Sep-09 16:44:33

How do you get rid of mould forever? It keeps coming back in my shower, I've used the sprays and have painted the tiles with a damp proof paint and it still comes creeping through <blergh>

Thank you smile

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 16:47:49

Another massive fan here smile

Obviously I haven't watched enough due to my horrible children putting Disney on loop, and have FAILED to learn the best way regularly to clean the toilet. I can't have a toilet brush in the house, I just can't.

But ds in particular seems never to leave the loo quite as attractive as he found it [genteel]

Please help. I am quite desperate and standing looking at it doesn't seem to do anything.

Both kids have allergies (although not to dogs!) and would like to be able to clean using only eco friendly cleaning stuff such as borax, bicarb, vinegar, lemon etc.

Where do you get the supplies as none of my local supermarkets supply natural cleaning stuff.

BertieBotts Germany Thu 17-Sep-09 18:02:08

I haven't got a question about cleaning skills so much, but I want to know, if you are a complete slattern not in the habit of cleaning automatically, how do you get into good habits? My house generally looks very "lived in", not as bad as the houses on your programme but full of clutter and piles of washing up & laundry of varying sizes and rooms that seem to constantly need hoovering. Sometimes we go mad and clean the entire house but it is always back to normal again within about 2 days. I am sure this must happen to some of the people you visit on the show, so I am surprised it is not covered. People always say "Just clean as you go" but it is so unnatural to me that I never remember to.

Please help!

bibbitybobbityhat Thu 17-Sep-09 18:05:34

Hi Kim - please tell my esteemed colleagues in hardwater areas that the only way to deal with limescale splashes on a shower screen is to clean the b*er every day, or have a lovely washable shower curtain, like me smile.

Redtedart Thu 17-Sep-09 18:30:54

Any tips of how to get tea stains out of a white pair of trousers? I spilt the tea, washed it that day and there is still a faint stain... :-(

Jean81 Thu 17-Sep-09 18:56:50

hello

could you tell me how to get rid of mould off painted walls?

thanks

Saltire Thu 17-Sep-09 19:21:52

OH I love Kima nd Aggie.

Kim, my mother in law boughtme your book "how clean is your house " 2 years ago and reduced me to tears when she said I needed to go on your programme.

Anyway my question is (because I will be at work) our carpets are very cheap rubbish one - we live in a military married quarter. There are some really deep stains that I can't ge tout using 1001 spray, I don't really want to ahve to do teh whole carpet if I can help it (they have been known to shrink when wet!)what would be a good cleaner to use on it?

Also how can I prevent limescale building up in shower taps etc?

corblimeymadam Thu 17-Sep-09 19:32:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ally160 Thu 17-Sep-09 19:40:58

Ask Kim what is the best way to scrub a carpet that a child has been sick on. The smell seems to hang around for weeks...blush

scrappydappydoo Thu 17-Sep-09 20:02:50

I lurve your programme makes me feel so much better that my pig sty isn't that bad...

Anyway would also like tips on decluttering and organising.

Plus I have a yucky black mould type thing on the grey rubber ring thing in my washing machine it doesn't smell but i would like to get rid any suggestions??

wuglet Thu 17-Sep-09 20:48:09

And how to get mould off car seat straps blush

Whoever asked about getting sticky stuff off windows - eucalyptus oil!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 17-Sep-09 20:55:13

kkleinman- wear an apron.

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 17-Sep-09 21:17:41

Another fan here - love your matter of fact attitude and the 'filthy beggars' remarks smile

GentleOtter Thu 17-Sep-09 21:20:59

Kim - I love you.
Please move in to our spare room and help me become organised. We will look after you well.

Failing that offer, how can I get an old stone flag floor to look amazing and shiney?

GentleOtter Thu 17-Sep-09 21:22:57

note - it has been down since 1860 and has done well.

Another burning question from me:

How do you get ring marks from a highly polished wooden surface? I finally persuaded my parents to let me have the family piano which is approximately Edwardian in age and my wretched brother put a glass of water on the lid over the keyboard and marked it badly. I have read there is a trick involving a hot iron that gets rid of water marks but I can't bring myself to put a hot iron anywhere near my once lovely, now horribly stained, piano.

Please help!

gigglewitch Thu 17-Sep-09 22:18:38

<mnhq, I do hope you've tidied up all the threads>
wink

MrsMerryHenry Thu 17-Sep-09 22:21:31

I LOVE Kim!

Here's my question:

Kim, I think you have great charisma on TV and are naturally funny. I used to work in TV (when I had a career...) and once came up with an idea for a chat show with you as the host.I think you'd be fab. Could you see yourself doing a tongue-in-cheek chat show?

(by the way, this is not a job offer, just an idle question...!)

Actually, having said that, maybe you could do a radio problem phone in? Oh, you'd be brill!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now