WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Dr Dawn Harper this Friday, 4 Sept, at 1pm

(79 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Sep-09 11:46:28

Hello, we're kicking off our post-hols webchats by welcoming Dr Dawn Harper this Friday at 1pm.

Dawn's a part-time GP in Gloucestershire and you may well have seen, read or heard her giving medical advice because she's a regular on lots of programmes and in the press.

She's married to another GP, they have three children and in her spare time (she has any?), she's a backing vocalist for a Motown/70s dance band.

She's joining us for a timely chat, sponsored by Kleenex Anti-Viral Tissues, about how to avoid catching colds and flu, and how to prevent them taking out whole families if one of you gets a horrid lurgy.

Because of tight timing, Dawn won't be able to answer advance questions, but we're checking if she can answer any that she doesn't get to during the webchat afterwards.

Hope you can join us.

MNHQ

rubyslippers Fri 04-Sep-09 15:01:21

thank you for answering my question

UnquietDad Fri 04-Sep-09 14:38:31

thanks for the reply

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 14:10:19

Bye everyone and thank you for all your questions - I hope it has been helpful
Best wishes
Dawn

RubberDuck Fri 04-Sep-09 14:02:17

That was the one, thank you

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 14:01:45

Hi Rubber Duck - sorry what was it - I must have missed it. As for swine flu vaccine in my family - I always have the flu jab - I missed it one year and paid the price! I guess it's just an occupational hazard - if you see enough cases you are bound to succombe at some stage and I'm sure I will do the same with the swine flu vaccine

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 14:00:55

grin thanks

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:59:47

Hi Belgo - if there is I wish I knew about it! No I don't think so, I certainly haven't heard of it. The pharmaceutical companies are constantly working on this sort of thing though and if they ever found it I think they would be sitting on a goldmine so we would soon hear about it!

RubberDuck Fri 04-Sep-09 13:58:33

You didn't answer my swine flu vaccine question?

"Also, will you and/or your children be having the swine flu vaccine this winter."

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:58:14

Very quickly, is it true that there is a wonder cure for all cold sore viruses but the pharmaceutical companies won't let on because they make so much money out of cold sore treatments?

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:57:50

Oops that should read hello not hell!

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:57:13

Hell Belgo - you're welcome

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:56:41

Thank you Dawn, that was interesting.

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:56:12

Hello everyone - is there anything else I can answer for you before we wrap up?
Dawn

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Sep-09 13:53:27

While Dr Harper's drawing breath after that whistlestop typing marathon, want to say thank you for answering so many questions. Hope you've enjoyed it

StripeySuit Fri 04-Sep-09 13:50:16

Thanks for answering!

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:49:23

Hello carriemumsnet - sorry I nearly missed your second question there. To be honest as long as your sisters twins are healthy simple hand washing shoul be all that is necessary

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:48:13

Hello wreckofthehespersu - I'm afraid while ever you are coughing or sneezing you should assume that you are infectious. There are over 100,000 potentially infectious droplets in a single sneeze!

WreckOfTheHesperus Fri 04-Sep-09 13:46:17

Oooh,I've thought of another one smile; when are you infectious with a cold? A lot of people seem to think that you're only infectious for the first couple of days?

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:44:52

Hi Belgo - you won't damage your nose but you could cause yourself to have a nosebleed

CMOTdibbler Fri 04-Sep-09 13:44:49

Been back and forward to GP for 2 years - just seems that he is very mucousy once he gets a cold at the start of the season, and then that is it for the winter

I may try SS's suggestion to do preventitive physio - we had to do it to clear his massive chest infection a couple of years ago

WreckOfTheHesperus Fri 04-Sep-09 13:44:31

Thanks again! Is there any truth to the commonly-held view that you are at risk of catching all of your fellow passengers' germs when travelling on a plane, due to the same air being re-circulated?

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:43:35

I have another questionsmile.

Can you damage your nose by regular ferocious nose blowing?

belgo Fri 04-Sep-09 13:42:02

Ok thank you for your answer.

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:41:55

Hi Stripey Suit - oh I see! Sorry. If you are feeling pretty miserable with a cold some people like just being left alone but others like company and I don't think you have to put yourself in total solitary but I wouldn't go around hugging healthy friends and putting them at risk. A sneeze will leave your nostrils at over 90mph which means that anyone in a five foot radius could be infected, so if you are receiving visitors just keep them at arms length

DrDawnHarper Fri 04-Sep-09 13:39:26

Hi Belgo - some children are susceptible to ear infections following a cold. These tend to be middle ear infections also called otitis media. Swimming can increse the chances of an outer ear infection (otitis externa)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now