WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

David Cameron live webchat, Friday 14th March 3.30-4.30

(423 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Mar-08 18:54:23

David Cameron is coming back (which is more than we can say for Piers Morgan). The leader of the opposition will be logging on from The Tory party's spring forum in Gateshead this Friday pm, at 3.30. Come along and pose him a question about an issue relevant to you, or if you can't make it on the day, you can post advance questions here.
Best,
MNHQ

David: talk to us about the Middle East. Thanks

soapbox Wed 12-Mar-08 20:56:51

Dear David - surely anyone would realise that 3.30 to 4.30 pm is school pick up time. Are you and your team of advisers really so far out of touch with the real world that they would suggest this is being a suitable time!

Or perhaps your education policy is so underdeveloped that you are hoping to get away without discussing it, by avoiding all the parents of school aged children.

Tut! Tut! Please try harder next time - oh! that was what we said last time, wasn't itgrin

FluffyMummy123 Wed 12-Mar-08 20:58:35

Message withdrawn

Quattrocento Wed 12-Mar-08 20:59:55

Oh Cod, there is such a thing as saturday school. In boarding schools. He just doesn't know anyone who doesn't go to one.

Or maybe he really doesn't know what day of the week it is.

soapbox Wed 12-Mar-08 21:01:30

grin Cod!

PrincessPeaHead Wed 12-Mar-08 21:05:17

Dear David,
Well done for coming back for a repeat performance! I didn't post last time but here is a question for you.

You are married to a strong intelligent working woman, and so I assume (rightly I hope) that you are not as misogynistic and paternalistic in approach as so many of your colleagues on both sides of the House. What are you going to do to ensure that similarly strong and intelligent hardworking women are properly represented in Parliament, in Cabinet, on the Bench and in Boardrooms? We all know about the terrible numbers of women MPs. But look also at the judiciary. 10 out of 100+ High Court Judges. 3 out of 35+ Appeal Court Judges. 170-odd out of 1200+ Recorders. Yet the number of women entering the law has exceeded the number of men since the late 1980s. This needs to change. What do you suggest?

marina Wed 12-Mar-08 21:12:54

I'd like to ask David if he personally knows anyone who works (not for him or his family, that is, I'm not counting the people who help care for Ivan) in the public sector and does not live in Notting Hill, Kensington or Chelsea.
Does he have any teachers, social workers or nurses in his social circle? Any households where both parents have to work full-time on not huge salaries in order to afford a modest house? And by social circle I don't mean one of his focus groups.
I've got nothing against him really but I think he and Mr Osborn have to realise that their lifestyles and how they are presented in the press are massively alienating, offensive even, to a huge swathe of voters. Most politicians are divorced from the reality of modern life IMO but the current Opposition seem even more cut off from the rest of us than most.
I don't think they care, actually, but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tinker Wed 12-Mar-08 21:13:56

He'll make some up marina.

southeastastra Wed 12-Mar-08 21:14:46

great post marina. hope he answers it.

Monkeybird Wed 12-Mar-08 21:30:46

oh go on then, I'll summon the energy:

Dave, how many more years will it actually be until the Tories are electable again?

What, you think I'm being rhetorical? No, please, I really want to know.

Monkeybird Wed 12-Mar-08 21:31:44

and why won't Piers come back, then? <almost-newbie>

Oliveoil Wed 12-Mar-08 21:44:20

last time I posted "hubba hubba" and was quoted in The Telegraph iirc

so

hubba hubba

fryalot Wed 12-Mar-08 21:47:19

Dave, dp asked me to ask you a question on his behalf... But Marina has phrased it so much better than either of us could.

So instead of the question he wanted to ask, he would like to know whether channel 111 on our skybox is named after you personally

Monkeybird Wed 12-Mar-08 21:54:23

rofl squonk

gothicmama Wed 12-Mar-08 22:06:09

I with Marina's lovely put question, also what about equality of pay for all nurses, teachers, social workers , police, fire people who do some of the least liked jobs on behalf of a society that often misunderstands the rational behind what they do

padboz Wed 12-Mar-08 22:09:32

Section 333 of the Communications Act 2003 requires Ofcom to ensure that Party Political Broadcasts (including Party Election Broadcasts) and Referendum Campaign Broadcasts are included in the UK regional ITV, Channel 4, Five, Classic FM, talkSPORT and Virgin 1215 services.

Anyone think mumsnet should be included in this list grin

DloeufyDoo Wed 12-Mar-08 22:11:03

Great question Marina.Phrased much better than I would have!
Agree with it all...except the benefit of the doubt.
Be interesting to see if he answers.Though how does anyone know it is him and not a minion answering for him?He will surely be busy washing up for a You Tube videowink

WideWebWitch Wed 12-Mar-08 22:12:57

Piers Morgan, what a wimp eh?

I'd like to ask David what he intends doing aobut id cards.

If he GUARANTEES to scrap them I might consider voting Tory. And I've never done so in my life.

blush

Monkeybird Wed 12-Mar-08 22:15:17

Dave, I'll never vote Tory, whatever you do. Sorry mate.

padboz Wed 12-Mar-08 22:17:04

Are other parties represented here? Are other parties asked to represent themselves here? newbie but DC's face was very visible in January when I started here and I assumed it was a temporary thing - am I to assume this is a true blue lead site?

WideWebWitch Wed 12-Mar-08 22:18:32

True, have you asked Gordon and or/Sarah Justine?

Well said Padboz. ALthough I can swap you a Mr Berlusconi for a David Cameron grin

LittleBella Wed 12-Mar-08 22:26:05

LOL at Dave having bigger cojones than Piers Morgan. So Cojones Cameron, someone in your cabinet (may even have been you) declared that under a Tory government, Lone Parents would have to work full time when their children were 5 or over. Why? What's wrong with part time work and having enough time and energy to discharge your responsibilities as a parent? Is it because you're intending to dismantle the tax credit system and the making work pay agenda? And does this mean that lone parents would not have the choice other parents have, of home educating their children?

LittleBella Wed 12-Mar-08 22:27:16

One more question - what do you think needs to be done about the family courts? It's become so clear that the secrecy in which they operate, is incompatible with justice, but that doesn't seem to unduly perturb anyone in Westminster. Why not? Loads of you in the House of Commons are lawyers aren't you? Why aren't a bunch of lawyers interested in justice?

Dave, ( I can call you Dave can't I?)

Where did you get that jacket? It's lovely.

Seriously, I am with you on your comments regarding the delightful Mr Darling's budget report today. Fair play.

<shocks self>

<looks at sorry state of finances after 11 years of Labour "government">

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now