WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

David Cameron live webchat, Friday 14th March 3.30-4.30

(423 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Mar-08 18:54:23

David Cameron is coming back (which is more than we can say for Piers Morgan). The leader of the opposition will be logging on from The Tory party's spring forum in Gateshead this Friday pm, at 3.30. Come along and pose him a question about an issue relevant to you, or if you can't make it on the day, you can post advance questions here.
Best,
MNHQ

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 12-Mar-08 20:08:13

Sheik
Can I call you Dave? You can call me Sheiky

made me pmsl.

Freckle Wed 12-Mar-08 20:11:23

Good timing, when most mums will probably be on the school run and sorting after-school activities hmm.

Can I ask whether the Conservatives have any plans to have Citizens Advice Bureaux funded by central government? Virtually every leaflet produced by the government tells people to seek advice from CAB, but the government won't actually provide any funds for individual bureaux, leaving them to go cap-in-hand to their local authority and to scrabble around for various grants in order to provide a decent service.

Given the fact that most government departments cause a huge number of the problems that are presented in bureaux, do you not think the government should contribute towards the service which helps sort them out??

David, If the tories win the election will you treat single parent families with the same respect and understanding that you pledge for families with two parents?

I am a single parent of three, working full time. As i understand, i wouldn't be due the tax break you pledge for a SAHP, why should i not benefit from a higher personal allowance, whilst other people have the privilege of staying home with their child?

shouldn't you concentrate the money at children, rather than families lucky enough to have two parents to share the child rearing, rather than concentrate your efforts on the nuclear family? families won't stay together because you give them a tax break. people who suffer abuse, adultery or disinterest won't stay together because of a little extra cash, and the loss of additional money which should be aimed at children not marriages, will not help n already vulnerable situations.

(sorry 'privilege' sounded a bit [hmm} I don't mena it in a snipey way SAHMs!)

monkeytrousers Wed 12-Mar-08 20:18:12

May I suggest no one ask him anything and allow the PR stunt to fail!

Tinker Wed 12-Mar-08 20:18:35

MT - that would be brilliant.

monkeytrousers Wed 12-Mar-08 20:19:41

Power to the people and all that Tink! grin

I have 2 questions:

1. the grammar schools thing. did it turn out that you are for or against them? why?

2. what do you propose to do about the housing crisis for young families (not much social housing, homes cost too much to buy, private rented housing is insecure)?

RTKangaDYSONMummy Wed 12-Mar-08 20:36:24

David

What are you planning to do for our children wanting to go to University?

Are you going to help them with fees and living expenses?

What will you do to make us more like Scotland?

Thanks

RTKM

smile

NadineBaggott Wed 12-Mar-08 20:43:17

they weren't getting rid of grammar schools just not building anymore sad

Quattrocento Wed 12-Mar-08 20:43:19

1. A straight talking politician is a contradiction in terms. Discuss.

2. This Bullingdon thing. Are you properly ashamed or only politically ashamed? Or are you not ashamed at all?

NadineBaggott Wed 12-Mar-08 20:44:47

ooh yes let's not ask any questions that's really grown up - and you vote!

why wouldn't you want to know the answers to your questions or are going to wear blinkers all your life?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Wed 12-Mar-08 20:46:12

Nadine did you see his previous q a on here?

tortoiseSHELL Wed 12-Mar-08 20:47:10

I would like David Cameron to advise me please. Our area is shockingly bad for secondary schools (Bristol area) - 3rd worst in the country. A new school was built, in order to help this problem - you have to live within 800m to get a place and house prices have soared. I cannot afford private schooling for 3 children. The school we will be offered a place at has 23% of children getting 5 or more GCSEs. My children are very bright, and would be put off school for life at this school. There is no way I could send them there without seriously compromising their education and their lives. What do you suggest I do, David? Thank you!

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 12-Mar-08 20:47:26

Far be it from me to leap to the defence of any politician (especially a Tory one grin) but we can and feel we should certainly confirm to TheDevilWearsPrimark that there was no team of PR and Legal advisors carefully combing DC's posts before he typed them - as he typed them on Carrie's kitchen table (and they wouldn't have fitted round anyway) right in front of us. And he did make a good attempt to cover a lot of ground in a short time... Oh dear sounds like I'm a blue-rinser (I'M NOT A BLUE-RINSER smile)

expatinscotland Wed 12-Mar-08 20:48:05

Excellent!

I'd like to ask what his party's policies are concerning:

The present personal tax threshhold
The tax credits system - what does his party propose to do with it?

FluffyMummy123 Wed 12-Mar-08 20:48:44

Message withdrawn

MissChief Wed 12-Mar-08 20:50:19

David - could you be truly working parent-friendly and finally commit to making childcare exempt from tax? It would do so much for so many but with all the surestart schemes, tax credits etc, no party seems to have committed to making this simple but powerful promise.
As you're also my MP, I'd like to ask what you plan to do to stem the decline of small rural towns - local shops closing etc and 1 supermarket moving in.

RTKangaDYSONMummy Wed 12-Mar-08 20:50:50

If he was slow last time?

smile

Did he type with 2 fingers or touch type?

grin

Perhaps Carrie should type while he dictates

grin

NadineBaggott Wed 12-Mar-08 20:50:53

Hello David
I'm a lifelong Conservative voter, looking at some of these questions I'd say you've got your work cut out!

The only problem I have with the Tories is that they stabbed Maggie in the back, not a popular thing to say around here but I thought she was brilliant, I hope you'll be as forceful a leader, someone you know where you stand with, a true statesman/woman/person (a million questions about the ridiculousness of all that!).

You get my vote.

Quattrocento Wed 12-Mar-08 20:51:15

Tortoiseshell - it sounds like a difficult problem - have you considered putting one/two/all three into care? You could write a book about it afterwards and we could applaud you for your bravery?

FluffyMummy123 Wed 12-Mar-08 20:52:14

Message withdrawn

NadineBaggott Wed 12-Mar-08 20:52:19

no I didn't, but whatever - that was then, move on

FluffyMummy123 Wed 12-Mar-08 20:53:49

Message withdrawn

tortoiseSHELL Wed 12-Mar-08 20:55:30

shock - where did that come from quattro????? Am I missing something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now