WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Dr John Briffa Wednesday the 4 July 12-1pm

(215 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Jun-12 11:48:42

In response to popular demand we're delighted to invite Dr John Briffa for a live webchat next Wednesday 4 July at 12 midday.

Dr John Briffa is a doctor, award-winning health writer, and former columnist for The Daily Mail and The Observer. He is author of eight books on nutrition and self-help. His latest, Escape the Diet Trap has been widely discussed across the Mumsnet Talk boards.

In Escape The Diet Trap, Dr Briffa says you can 'achieve successful, sustainable weight loss without consciously cutting back on food and without the need for exhausting exercise'. One Mumsnetter describes the book as '...brilliant. Really easy to read without being patronising, and an eye opener with all the studies he cites. Really makes me feel that I am following a healthy diet for the first time in ages'. and another says, 'His advice is smart, sensible and rooted in Proper Science - but it's still controversial. Perfect for a webchat!'

Join us over lunch (extra helpings appear to be acceptable smile) at noon on Wednesday 4 July to chat to Dr John Briffa, or if you're unable to join us on the day, post a question in advance on this thread.

BIWItheBold Wed 04-Jul-12 15:09:51
Jux Wed 04-Jul-12 15:20:37

I have to look at the role of fish oils and vit D in ms. I thought I'd done that when I was dx - 8ish years ago [basically, they are good]. Does anyone know anything about this? Does Dr John say anything in any of his books?

BIWItheBold Wed 04-Jul-12 15:59:39

Not sure, but I know he talks about Vitamin D in his blog here

ohforfoxsake Wed 04-Jul-12 22:23:30

Great web chat - thanks smile

SharonGless Wed 04-Jul-12 23:00:04

Just caught up on webchat - bit disappointed he didn't answer my question and note SOME people (OliviasvelteMumsnet) asked more than one question wink

Seriously it was really good and I lurve Dr Briffa just a wee bit more after that

DrJohnBriffa Thu 05-Jul-12 06:31:29

SharonGless

Dr Briffa (swoons)
Thank you for coming to talk to us. What is your professional opinion of the Swedish study which has been sensationalised in the British media?

Also (sneaking in an extra question hoping Oliviamumsnet won't notice) do you think we will get to the point where supermarkets are catering more for low carbers? Every prepared salad I pick up has pasta or rice in it. I am following a low carb diets which is fine when I am at home or work but out and about proves more of a challenge

Hi Sharon

Have a look at my answer to letticepetticoat for my view on the Swedish (and similar) study.

Think the thing about pasta and rice in salads is that it's cheap and filling and allows shops to sell stuff that feels like good value. Not sure this is going to change very quickly. Have noticed that shops like Pret and Eat do good soups and salads that might work if you're in the vicinity.

BIWItheBold Thu 05-Jul-12 06:33:25

Oh hello!

Did they not let you leave MN Towers then?!

SharonGless Thu 05-Jul-12 07:24:09

Good morning Dr Briffa and thank you sooo much for answering my question. I am very evangelical about this way of eating and it's almost like a cult feeling now to spread the word!

Ow, am not too late. I watched your You Tube video which had been recommended to me on the Minimins weight loss website. Really interesting to listen to and I would recommend it to anyone who has a quiet hour. I also have your latest book.

I have lost 2 stone 4 pounds since March 10th by low carbing and cutting out as much sugar as I can. I have another stone to go which I am addressing at the moment.

Dieting really is a state of mind though isnt it, we eat for any other reason apart from hunger which is why we get fat in the first place. So do you have any tips for keeping focus which is what I currently need as I am no longer losing as I keep straying from the golden path to loveliness.

Oh bum, yes I am too late. Doh! It is Thursday today!

BIWItheBold Thu 05-Jul-12 11:12:57

SecondhandRose - come and join the Bootcamp threads. Plenty of support and jollying along in there and me shouting at people occasionally to keep you focused!

OliviaSvelteMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Jul-12 11:27:43

Can someone link to the youtube vid please?

Thankyou BIWI, I will come and find you.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 10-Sep-12 16:32:46

We are delighted to announce that Dr John Briffa will be running a 1-day Mumsnet Academy course on 21 October in Central London. To read more about this fabulous course and sign up for a place, click here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now