MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with former Dragons' Den star Doug Richard on all things business and entrepreneurial, Friday 18 May, 12noon

(63 Posts)
PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-May-12 17:20:37

We are delighted to welcome former BBC Dragons' Den panellist Doug Richard to MNHQ for a live webchat on Friday 18 May at midday. As a serial entrepreneur, Angel investor and all round business guru who has delivered instruction to more than 10,000 business owners with help from universities, public institutions like the British Library and philanthropic organizations like the Royal Institute of Great Britain, Doug is in a great position to answer questions about how to start or develop your own business.

Doug is also the founder of School for Start Ups who will be working with the Mumsnet Academy on a programme which addresses the 10 essential questions you must be able to answer about your business in order for it to succeed. There's not much Doug doesn't know about business so please join us this Friday at 12 midday, and if you are unable to make it, please post a question on this thread in advance.

DougRichard Fri 18-May-12 12:53:18

Shakey1500

Hi Doug

What would you advise someone who has a brilliant idea but neither the capital or business experience? Who believes that this dea should be out there but that it requires a leap of faith.

I even wrote to Richard Branson and it's "on file" hmm

And what's your favourite cookie grin

I thin you should come to one of School for Startup's courses actually. They are meant for you.... The two day course is CreativeBusiness and the one day course in Sept is in partnership with Mumsnet SchoolforStartups
Doug

DougRichard Fri 18-May-12 12:54:06

Shakey1500

Hi Doug

What would you advise someone who has a brilliant idea but neither the capital or business experience? Who believes that this dea should be out there but that it requires a leap of faith.

I even wrote to Richard Branson and it's "on file" hmm

And what's your favourite cookie grin

And I like any cookie involving slabs of dark chocolate

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-May-12 12:58:04

One last question for Doug anyone?

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-May-12 13:01:20

A HUGE THANK YOU Doug for all the fantastic advice! For anyone who has enjoyed today, please remember to sign up for a course!

Shakey1500 Fri 18-May-12 13:08:51

Great web chat. Direct answers, no wishy washey, clear and helpful links.

grin

BIWItheBold Fri 18-May-12 13:09:30

Fancy not giving him any biscuits!
grin

DorisIsWaiting Fri 18-May-12 13:22:52

really good to read this webchat, very helpful with good links. The 2 day course looks fantastic but at £495 is sadly out of my league (yet it covers exactly the area I am interested in).

TantieTowie Fri 18-May-12 13:35:57

Thanks Doug - hadn't thought of it like that...

Brill, thanks Doug - a hurdle is a really great idea. I don't want to haggle unreasonably, but nor do I want to be giving away more cash than is necessary. Tell you what, when I'm making a profit I'll buy you biscuits, 'kay?

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-May-12 13:43:18

DorisIsWaiting

really good to read this webchat, very helpful with good links. The 2 day course looks fantastic but at £495 is sadly out of my league (yet it covers exactly the area I am interested in).

Hi DorisIsWaiting, come on the course Doug is running alongside the MN Academy instead? It is much cheaper

Ingles2 Fri 18-May-12 13:57:56

Thanks so much Doug... really appreciated...
And shame on you PatrickMumsnet grin Where were the biscuit ?

poppyhattie Sat 19-May-12 07:55:39

I have arranged a load of music for saxophone quartet (there's not a huge amount out there for beginners or more modern stuff) - I would love to get them published and sold in shops/on the internet - I can handle preparing the scores as I have the technology to arrange the music and print it (although not with shiny covers etc - I can only laser print in colour on normal paper/card) but I don't have any idea on how to market and how copyright works so that I don't get into trouble with the original composers, e.g. Lennon and McCartney and classical composers. This has been a dream of mine for ages and I really want it to become a reality so I can carry on being creative and not have to teach teenagers in a comprehensive school until I am 107 or die, which ever comes first...
Please, please help me!! Poppyhattie

Solo Mon 21-May-12 13:39:16

Didn't answer my question! pffft!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now