WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus one follow-up once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. See full guidelines here.

Live webchat with Baroness Glenys Kinnock, Monday 14th May, 12noon

(55 Posts)
FrancesMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 10-May-12 11:11:10

Hello

We're very pleased to announce that Baroness Kinnock will be joining us for a live webchat on Monday 14 May from 12:00-13:00.

Baroness Glenys Kinnock is the Shadow International Development Minister in the House of Lords. She previously served as Minister of State for Africa and the UN. She's married to former Labour leader Neil Kinnock, and together they have a son, a daughter and three grandchildren.

Baroness Kinnock is one of Save the Children's parliamentary champions and a key supporter of the No Child Born to Die campaign. She's backing the campaign's push to end global hunger, an issue which is high on the agenda at the G8 Summit next week. Currently 300 children die every hour of every day because they can't get enough nutritious food to eat, and Glenys, along with Save The Children, is calling on G8 leaders to break the chains of hunger for millions of children - find their petition here.

Glenys is very happy to answer any questions you might have on global hunger; or on her work in the House of Lords, her political career to date - or British politics more generally. Do post them here if you can't join us on Monday.

MNHQ

GlenysKinnock Mon 14-May-12 12:57:14

Arana

I had a dream about her the other night where she was a cross between Angela Merkel and a Sith lord. She was project director, and I was project manager for a project to make realistic looking fake rocks in a secret military base.

On a separate note, what are her opinions on the illegal occupation of the Western Sahara by Morocco, the generation of Saharawi children being brought up in refugee camps in Tindouf, Algeria, and what can she do in her position to help find a peaceful solution.

Thanks.

(Sorry about the dream, I have some really weird ones! It's nothing personal!)

On the Western Sahara, I have for many years supported the Saharawi's claims to independence. For too long Morocco has resisted pressure to give them their rights.

And be careful with fake rocks. MI6 used them in Moscow and got caught by the KGB with embarrassing results!

GlenysKinnock Mon 14-May-12 12:58:40

lockitt

I read an article a couple of days ago about millions of tons of wheat rotting in India as they dont have sufficient warehouses to store it and "economists say selling the grain to the poor at subsidized prices is not a viable solution because it would expand the fiscal deficit."

This to me is disgusting when we know there are people around the world starving. Surely there is a solution to get this food to the people that need it?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Link here for anyone who is interested.

Huge quantities of wheat and rice under tarpaulins is just not acceptable when nearly half of India's children under 5 are malnourished. Appalling to say that selling to the poor at subsidised prices isn't an option.

GlenysKinnock Mon 14-May-12 13:00:42

LineRunner

Hello Glenys, I won't be able to join you live as I'll be at work.

My question is:

I always felt that the famous falling-in-the-sea moment really damaged Neil's political career, and he knew it as soon as it happened, because of the power of a vindictive right-wing press. I thought then that there was too much glee about destroying a good man in politics - it was a bit frightening. Do you think that Levenson is changing things for the better?

i think that Levison and Jay are doing a great job. It will only be really productive if their recommendations are strong and implemented. That will be a real test of political leadership and press integrity.

GlenysKinnock Mon 14-May-12 13:02:26

thebestisyettocome

Hi Glenys.

Have 'career politicians' destroyed the Labour Party?

I think they have but if you disagree why do you think it isn't important for people to have experienced a real job prior to entering the House of Commons.

Thanks.

I was a teacher in Wales and in London in primary and secondary schools for many years and do think my experience made me better able to relate to my job as an MEP and indeed as a Minister. The vital thing however is that MPs are authentic representatives and really in touch with their voters, whatever their age or background.

GlenysKinnock Mon 14-May-12 13:03:55

Thank you very much for having me and for asking so many challenging questions. I think I enjoyed myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now