MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Ken Livingstone, TODAY 11.15am to 12.15pm

(157 Posts)
FrancesMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-Apr-12 10:07:52

In the run up to the London Mayoral elections in May, we're very pleased to announce that Ken Livingstone will be joining us for a live webchat on Wednesday 18th April from 11:15 am to 12:15 pm. You can read more about Kens plans for London on his Mumsnet blog here.

Ken Livingstone was London's first elected mayor between 2000 and 2008. He was born in Streatham in 1945, attending Tulse Hill Comprehensive and working as a lab technician at Chester Beatty cancer research unit. Since becoming the MP for Brent East he has lived in Cricklewood.

Join us for the webchat and make your voice heard about what you want to see from the capital's next Mayor. He's keen to hear your views and answer your questions. As ever, if you can't make it, please post up your advance questions here.

Thanks, MNHQ

noseynoonoo Thu 19-Apr-12 14:18:24

I think most people do know how it works and would be slightly insulted to read that others think they are too ignorant to understand the consequences of their vote.

Just let people vote the way they want to.

smee Thu 19-Apr-12 14:26:45

nosey I honestly didn't mean it like that - but just look up the thread and you'll see at least two clearly intelligent women saying they don't get it and asking how it works. I had to look it up a few weeks ago myself and I don't count myself as especially dim. grin

Yes people should vote the way they want to, of course they should, but a lot of people (v.bright people included!) just don't realise that voting one way can help someone they might not choose win.

DilysPrice Thu 19-Apr-12 15:27:36

Actually Smee. I think it's the other way around. Most people are much more used to FPTP, so they're thinking in an inappropriately "tactical" way, and I do hear them say things like "oh it's a wasted vote voting for Brian/Siobhan, it'll just let that bastard Ken/Boris in" when this is one election when you can use your first preference however you like, safe in the knowledge that you have a second preference.

justonemorethread Thu 19-Apr-12 16:55:17

'clearly intelligent', aawh, thanks smee!

justonemorethread Thu 19-Apr-12 16:58:23

Getting more confused though... Maybe not so much! Think I 'll just Google it later. Surely though if the BBC are duty bound to give a balanced picture they should give coverage to all candidates, or are they just not getting involved at all?

Betelguese Thu 19-Apr-12 22:23:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AvengerFan Thu 19-Apr-12 22:34:18

Boris has crap hair again, not impressed!

Now will they be on questiontime?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now