MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Boris Johnson webchat, TODAY, Mon 16 Apr, 11.30am-12.30pm

(205 Posts)
FrancesMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Apr-12 11:18:37

In the run up to the London Mayoral elections in May, we're very pleased to announce that Boris Johnson will be joining us for a webchat on Monday 16th April from 11.30am to 12.30pm. In May 2008, Boris was elected the first Conservative Mayor of London. He was the MP for Henley-on-Thames from 2001 to 2007, and held the posts of Vice Chairman, Shadow Minister for the Arts and Shadow Minister of Higher Education.

Do please join us for the webchat. Boris is keen to hear your views and to answer your questions. As ever, if you can't make it, please post up your advance questions here.
Thanks, MNHQ

Soutty Sat 14-Apr-12 08:19:34

No questions, just want to say Go Boris!

SophieNeveau Sat 14-Apr-12 10:02:44

Does your Mum tell you off, when she see's you on TV with messy hair?

Boris, who is your hairdresser?

AnxiousPanxious Sat 14-Apr-12 14:54:01

OMG is this a real thing that is really going to happen, in the real world? grin
<sets alarms, reminders etc to watch BoJo get a pasting from MNers>

AnxiousPanxious Sat 14-Apr-12 14:54:52

Ken is also going to be on? <faints with anticipation>

crazynanna Sat 14-Apr-12 19:34:43

How do you feel about the Leader of your Party's Housing Benefit reforms' and how they will in reality make many families leave London,uprooting their children from school,losing their jobs and so on? I live,like you,in Islington,and quite frankly it is quite alarming on how many of my daughter's school friends are leaving the school and the borough due to the changes'.

LineRunner Sat 14-Apr-12 19:44:28

Dear Boris, Have you any idea what it is like to be a lone parent at the moment, working as I do full-time, but skint and vilified nevertheless? (My ExH pays under £35 a week per child out of his very decent salary.) How do you actually think I manage? Because I don't. My children could be as bright as yours; but let's face it, they'll never be as likely to succeed, will they? p.s. I have a PhD.

ConferencePear Sat 14-Apr-12 20:10:37

I haven't heard any of the candidates even mention London's role as this country's capital city. How does Boris see that role developing? At the moment London seems more remote to me than it has ever done in my life.

MNHQ - you havent answered my earlier question. I get that lots of people are treating the Mayor's race as a 2 horse race between Boris and Ken - exactly because they have the most spend behind them and the most publicity. But honestly, it would make so much more sense to have all 7 candidates on, not just the two most publicised.

wheeler Sat 14-Apr-12 22:04:08

Boris - about violence against women in London.

Your administration introduced the under reported and excellent 'The Way Forward' london-wide strategy on ending violence against women. I want to know:

1. What will you do to further improve the initial police response to reports of rape, domestic violence, and all forms of violence against women. It's this 1st response that really matters but too often it's still poor and women end up not seeing a report thru to prosecution..

2. Your manifesto mentions specific action on FGM and honour based violence. Really good. Will you match ken's commitment to tackle sexual harassment in public places in London?

3. There has been criticism of your youth mentoring scheme for failing to take girls' needs into account. Are you committed to ensuring all serious youth violence work includes girls' needs from scratch?

4. Finally, your deputy kit malthouse spoke at a women's hustings last week (EVAW Coalition) and when asked about prostitution gave a strong answer on its inherently abusive nature and some measures mayor-gla can take. But he also said national debate is needed to look at law. Do you agree?

Thanks.

peanutpie Sun 15-Apr-12 00:12:39

I live so far up North that I really have no interest in this.

McFluffster Sun 15-Apr-12 01:08:49

I love you Boris. Would you be willing to turn your back on your party so that we could marry?

TheBlackShiksa Sun 15-Apr-12 09:53:22

Hi Boris, what do you think about your main rival Ken Livingstone's comments about London's Jewish community? Do you feel he was sincere in his apology or do you think he is a divisive force in London. What will you do as Mayor and what have you done to ensure London's different faith communities and groups rub together nicely?

SarahStratton Sun 15-Apr-12 16:35:20

Am I allowed another question? Can I propose to Boris?

Boris will you marry me? grin

Crumblemum Sun 15-Apr-12 20:21:10

What can you do to help part time workers with commuting costs? I work three days a week - so can't benefit from a weekly travel card - instead I have to pay a daily three zone pass which is only marginally (but still importantly) cheaper.

Would be a great sign to business (and good for us worker bees) if you and TFL could get together and make transport cheaper for part time workers (and perhaps flexible workers - ie cheaper prior to rush hour/ getting home for school run).

Thanks

moochymoo Sun 15-Apr-12 20:53:25

Hi Boris,

Same question as Crumblemum

TIA

scottishmummy Sun 15-Apr-12 20:59:19

hi Boris, what plans do you have to kick start and maintain regeneration in poorer areas?

deepfriedcupcake Sun 15-Apr-12 21:36:09

As the favorite biscuit got in at question 5.... Have you ever felt the need to release your inner hippy?

SuzyDoo Sun 15-Apr-12 21:36:11

I want my kids to be safe cycling to school - when are you going to commit to 20mph on TFL controlled roads? In Holland half of all kids cycle to school - we could have the same and reduce the shocking rate of 1 in 5 obese kids in London.

icannotfly Sun 15-Apr-12 21:55:53

Hi B! What is your favorite part of London? Please don't tell me that you've got whole town in your heart...I'm asking where you like to relax with your family the most? We won't be stalking you, promise!

cinnamonnut Sun 15-Apr-12 22:09:27

Hi Boris! smile

What do you make of the whole tax avoidance saga with Ken Livingstone?

scottishmummy Sun 15-Apr-12 22:19:26

Boris did you and Ken really square up to each other in that lift?resulting in the debacle about declaring individual tax

Norfolkmumma Sun 15-Apr-12 22:20:23

What is your view re the changes to Child Benefit?

LaVitaBellissima Sun 15-Apr-12 22:50:46

Where do you get your hair cut?

BupcakesandCunting Mon 16-Apr-12 05:03:15

Hello Boris,

I think you are probably the only Tory I'd voluntarily be mates with. You seem like an alright old stick.

I had a lengthy chat about you with a black cab driver when I was in the capital last year. He said that he thought that you'd surprised a lot of ordinary Londoners and that you do really care about London. You also seem popular with a lot of (not all, I hasten to add, before I am robustly corrected) non-Conservative voters. Why do you think that you seem to appeal when your colleagues have such a terrible public image?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now