MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Boris Johnson webchat, TODAY, Mon 16 Apr, 11.30am-12.30pm

(205 Posts)
FrancesMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Apr-12 11:18:37

In the run up to the London Mayoral elections in May, we're very pleased to announce that Boris Johnson will be joining us for a webchat on Monday 16th April from 11.30am to 12.30pm. In May 2008, Boris was elected the first Conservative Mayor of London. He was the MP for Henley-on-Thames from 2001 to 2007, and held the posts of Vice Chairman, Shadow Minister for the Arts and Shadow Minister of Higher Education.

Do please join us for the webchat. Boris is keen to hear your views and to answer your questions. As ever, if you can't make it, please post up your advance questions here.
Thanks, MNHQ

chibi Fri 13-Apr-12 11:48:09

thank you for not allowing homophobic adverts on london buses, and doing it reflexively and unselfconsciously as if there couldn't possibly be any other action

*my question*: as the gap between have and havenot increases, and the working poor are increasingly priced out of living in the capital, what measures are you taking to ensure that london does not ultimately become the city of the ultrarich served by the ultrapoor who must commute great distances to do so?

heliumballoon Fri 13-Apr-12 12:24:15

MNHQ, are there also plans to have Ken on? Would be useful to compare answers.
<goes off to try to think of a good question for Boris>

gazzalw Fri 13-Apr-12 14:18:38

Hi Boris!

Have noticed that whilst Borough Education Departments are having to rapidly step up to the mark regarding schooling the ongoing baby-boom (of 2002/3 onwards), there seems to be a certain reticence to address the fact that these children are rapidly approaching secondary schooling (think the oldest of the cohort are now in Year 4). What are you planning to ensure that there will be enough quality secondary schooling to meet demand in the coming years? The emphasis here is on schools that parents will want to send their children to, not ones that have spare places but are not up-to-standard!

Many thanks

MNHQ - are we getting all the candidates on for webchats? If we're having Boris and Ken, its only fair to the others to be offerred the opportunity to come on.

Boris - London Riots: what would you have done differently in retrospect? As the gulf between the haves and have nots is only set to widen, I'm not alone in suspecting more discontent and potential riot situations so how would you as Mayor address this?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 13-Apr-12 14:22:21

Hello. Yes, Ken Livingstone will also be doing a webchat - we'll announce the date and time shortly.

SarahStratton Fri 13-Apr-12 14:44:14

Hullo Boris, I think you are gorgeous. A kiss would be lovely grin

My question is: What preparations have you made for a Zombie Apocalypse, and what do you have in your OFRS?

Thank you x

chibi Fri 13-Apr-12 14:53:56

BoJo is clever but he may not know that OFRS= oh fuck rucksack, for when you panic and fleeeee the apocalypse etc

What's your favourite biscuit then, Boris? grin

Boris! you are a legend..that is all grin

TheBlackShiksa Fri 13-Apr-12 17:02:22

As the number of young black unemployed men hits 50% in the UK, what as mayor will you be doing to help get more black men into work? Figures have also shown that women are going to hit hardest by the recession, and black women more so, as I black person I find it difficult to even contemplate voting for a Tory mayor, why should I vote for you?

painterlyswoosh Fri 13-Apr-12 17:12:43

Boris - cycling. What are you going to do to make sure that fewer cyclists die in London on bikes this year? And to make cycling safer and easier?

Any particular plans for the Kings cross junction that is incredibly dangerous and has already claimed lives?

strangerwithmyface Fri 13-Apr-12 17:17:58

Are you a feminist Boris?

Boris, why aren't you PM?

poppyseeds99 Fri 13-Apr-12 17:31:50

Hi Boris,
I'm definitely considering voting for you after reading your Mumsnet blog but I'm troubled by your reputation of elitism and nepotism, ie belonging to an 'old boys' club'.

What can you say to reassure me that you're a modern Londoner who realises that many of those in the Capital are struggling on a salary which you might consider 'chicken feed'?

mumofjust1 Fri 13-Apr-12 18:00:55

I Love old Boris! grin

Betelguese Fri 13-Apr-12 18:22:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LineRunner Fri 13-Apr-12 18:35:24

MNHQ What about Brian Paddick and the other candidate(s)? Will they be asked on, too?

zany Fri 13-Apr-12 18:35:35

Hi Boris,

Figures published on the MET website state that in the last 12 months in London we had more than a 100 murders, more than 3,000 rapes, more than 30,000 robberies etc. Given the proposed cuts to the MET force, the already stretched judicial and prison services; how are you going to effectively tackle crime in London and bring these numbers down within these contraints?

Oh Boris, you do make me larf grin

Onto more serious matters, I think that David Cameron bears a striking resemblance to Iggle Piggle, which of ITNG characters do you think you are most like and why?

PS <mwah>

ohmeohmy Fri 13-Apr-12 19:53:07

How can the billions being spent on the olympics be justified given the appalling state of the economy and how much ordinary people are suffering under this coalitions draconian policies?

WelshCerys Fri 13-Apr-12 20:24:47

Like you, I love London. You've got some remarkable achievements under your belt, like the bikes and tightening up of anti-social behaviour on the tube.

But too many Londoners, including kids, live in unsafe, unsuitable homes - I'm thinking particularly of the tower blocks, some of which disgrace our communities.

No child should grow up in a noisy, dangerous place with next to no outdoor play space. (It's not good for their parents either). Is this something that you could focus lots of attention on if you get back?

thinneratforty Fri 13-Apr-12 22:25:52

Is there anything you could do to extend the R11 bus route to the Princess Royal University Hospital? It currently stops at Green St Green and is the only bus that could potentially go between Queen Mary's Sidcup Hospital to the Princess Royal - would be really useful for relatives visiting patients who are no longer treated at QMS but who live in Bexley.

LineRunner Fri 13-Apr-12 22:55:26

MNHQ Someone just made the point on Newsnight there are 7 mayoral candidates.

glorylove Sat 14-Apr-12 04:17:26

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now