MN WEBCHAT GUIDELINES 1. One question per member plus a follow-up question if appropriate, ie once you've had a response. 2. Keep your question brief 3. Don't be disappointed if your specific question doesn't get answered and do try not to keep posting "What about me?". 4. Do be civil/polite. See guidelines in full here.

Live webchat with Kirstie Allsopp, TODAY, Weds 28 March, from 12.30pm

(155 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Mar-12 15:13:41

We're delighted to announce that Kirstie is going to be hosting her first ever online webchat on Mumsnet from 12.30 to 1.30 pm on Wednesday 28th March, where you'll be able to chat with Kirstie, and tap into her expert knowledge on home-making and DIY. Known for her forthright views on parenting, home-making, decor and passion for crafts, Kirstie will offer honest advice to all Mumsnetters. If you're unable to join Kirstie at 12.30 on Wednesday, post your advance questions to this thread.

The webchat will celebrate B&Q's partnership with Mumsnet which is scheduled to launch 16th April.

skandi1 Mon 26-Mar-12 23:49:58

Hi Kirstie

Please help. I have bought the wrong house. Sold our stunning architect designed central London house as DH said it was too small for two children. I bowed under pressure and whilst heavily pregnant and hornonally incapable of making a rational decision.

Am now stuck with a house three times the size that I don't like in an area which I am not sure about.

Current house needs a lot of work (think 1812 and wood panelling and more period features than you can shake a stick at) and value can be added.

However I hate hate hate living here and every day at home with two small children is a long reminder of what a big mistake this is.

So do I insist that we put it on the market immediately (heart is not in it to lovingly doing this place up) or bottle it all up (and take ADs) and do the house up and then sell??

Also please come and help me find my next house.

And I love you a little bit too <<runs away embarrassed>>.

skandi1 Mon 26-Mar-12 23:51:28

And clearly can't spell either hornonally = hormonally. If that is even a word.

DeepPurple Tue 27-Mar-12 00:02:10

Have you seen what she has tweeted about us tonight? She's not really looking forward to this!

MayaAngelCool Tue 27-Mar-12 00:24:03

Hi Kirstie! I always want to be visually creative and think I'm too knuckle-handed to make anything pretty.

Well...last Xmas I made the heart garland you featured on your show, and gave it as a gift to someone who absolutely loved it. And every year I make your lavender/ eucalyptus wreath (minus the lavender 'cos it's SO pricey at that time of year). So all I want to say is: thank you! grin

MayaAngelCool Tue 27-Mar-12 00:25:23

Gasp! Vanilla! grin

Ooh I love Kirstie.
Am off to think of a good question.

Sassy20 Tue 27-Mar-12 02:51:25

Hi Kirstie. An appropriate question for me at this moment is any tips on how to settle an upset 11 1/2 month old who's woken two nights in a row with no obvious reason after being a good sleeper previously?! smile
Sassy

Hi kirstie

Do you find tge time to do all tgese/any crafts or is it just for the series? I struggle to find then time and wondered of I need to do a series of my own to be able to fit it all in.

Thanks

Ps my dh fancies you

BeattieBow Tue 27-Mar-12 06:55:31

Hi Kirstie

I really like most of your dresses - can you tell me where you get them from? I remember you did tweet about it once, but I promptly forgot where you got them from.

And while I'm at it, your rings are nice too - where are these from?

and your thick brown parka that you went to the antiques fairs in for that matter.

(I'm not a stalker honest!).

FoofFighter Tue 27-Mar-12 07:28:38

deeppurple what was said?

theseventhdwarf Tue 27-Mar-12 07:33:03

Dear Kirstie

Which was your most frustrating episode of location location - ie one property you felt the buyers should have jumped at but didn't - does one stand out for you?

If you had free reign on the show what would you do differently ?

Which craft is your favourite?

If you could choose any location and plonk your dream property there where would it be (a) in uk (b) worldwide

Ps I think you re greatsmile

marshmallowpies Tue 27-Mar-12 07:49:30

Another Kirstie fan here....!

My question is about what you think will (or ought) to happen re building new affordable homes for families.

I live in outer London & round my way all I see getting built is 'commuter flats' squeezed into tiny plots of land next to railway lines: they look so unappealing & often sit empty for years & don't sell.

In my opinion what's needed is affordable homes for families, not flats for couples, but no-one seems to be building them. And I think this housing needs to be built in cities and the suburbs, not by concreting over the countryside!

Would love to know Kirstie's view on this!

BettySuarez Tue 27-Mar-12 08:09:16

Hello Kirstie,

We have a four bed detached house (15 years old) that may soon have to go on the market.

The property is going to need updating before we put it on the market but time and money are a little tight so we need to prioritise.

What are your top tips for getting the house ready?

What do buyers look for these days? Neutral colour schemes? Modern bathrooms? Oh and do people still fall for the fresh bread/fresh coffee thing? grin

NewHouse Tue 27-Mar-12 08:48:27

Hello,

Do you get annoyed when doing LLL, and vendors like me refuse to let you film?

I love your homestyle by the way.

DieDeutschLehrerin Tue 27-Mar-12 09:22:10

Dear Kirstie

I think you are a fantastic presenter and have loved your craft programmes as well as Location, location, location. You've succeeded in coming across as very likeable, down to earth and "normal" as I think is obvious from people's reactions on this thread. For this reason, I was really disappointed to hear you comment during an episode of Woman's Hour that you thought that giving homework is, for some teachers, purely a case of trying to "prove how hard their jobs are". I agree with your points regarding time for families and understand that school was not always important for you but, nevertheless, felt that my professionalism was being undermined. My question is, do you really believe what you said and that teachers really have so little interest in their pupils' wellbeing? If so, then I'd just like you to know that making a comment like that in a public forum made me feel hugely discouraged. I couldn't help but feel we were all tarred with the same brush despite the fact that the vast, vast majority of teachers with whom I have worked operate with their pupils' best interests at heart.

soundevenfruity Tue 27-Mar-12 09:53:14

NewHouse

Not Kirstie obviously but wouldn't you? Is it an insurance thing?

sevenbubbles Tue 27-Mar-12 10:00:31

Dear kirstie, would you buy a house with japanese knotweed in the garden?

NewHouse Tue 27-Mar-12 10:08:16

Sound, no not an insurance thing. They came around with no TV crew and didn't put in an offer, so I was very pleased I said "no"!

WomanwiththeYellowHat Tue 27-Mar-12 10:34:49

Hi Kirstie

I just wanted to say that you are the only other person I 'know' to have had really big babies for no apparent reason and they happened to be born at exactly the same time as mine were grin. I was very grateful to be able to point out to people (inclujding myself in my hormone-induced craziness!) that perfectly normal sized people could have enormous babies for no apprent reason by using you as an example!

No question reallly, just that!

Springforward Tue 27-Mar-12 11:22:41

Hello - on "Location", why do you think it is that some people really, really struggle to find a house to buy - is it the local market, their expectations, or because they are just more honest than the rest of us and won't break themselves financially for something they don't feel is properly worth it?

Genuinely curious as we are kind of heading into same boat after recently viewing 8 OK-on-paper houses and, er, rejecting all of them....

HJisgoingtogoBOOM Tue 27-Mar-12 12:40:18

Why do new houses all have loads of bathrooms/small rooms/no storage? In your experience is that what buyers really want?

NewHouse Tue 27-Mar-12 12:46:42

What do you make of the new planning laws?

ohmygoshandgolly Tue 27-Mar-12 13:18:18

oooh Kirstie!

I really enjoyed your 'Handmade Britain' shows and found them really inspiring.

My question is property related: what is your top tip for dealing with builders and building work in your home?

We have had some complete disasters!

mousymouseafraidofdogs Tue 27-Mar-12 13:42:10

dear kirstie
what do you think of minimal standards for newbuilds/refurbisments (minimum size bedrooms/storage/hall large enough for wheelchair or prams/ability to convert for wheelchair user, hoists etc)

MrsCobbit Tue 27-Mar-12 13:56:23

Hi Kirstie
Love your programmes, love your frocks. Who does your hair and would you trade a downstairs loo for a walk-in larder???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now